I-Phone - buy now or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Marci, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Marci macrumors newbie

I've been wanting (not needing) and I-phone. Just getting ready to buy my first one and the buyer's guide says it is "approaching the end of a cycle"

Just what does that mean in as far as when a new model will be out?

I do not get 3G in my area, but I am a photographer and want something that will store a lot of photos - like a walking portfolio. I thought about an I-touch but I will not carry that everywhere with me like I will with a phone.

I also will use the GPS a lot - and like that they will be showing streets on the upgrade - but is that just software - or do I need to wait for the new version for that?

So - basically - I am asking if I should go ahead and buy now - or wait?

2. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

Nice thread. I'm interested about iphone too and i have no idea whether should i buy one or not.

3. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

just buy one.

they are amazing. simply amazing.

4. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

I agree 100%

5. unregbaron macrumors regular

I'm in the same situation - current contract ends in 3 weeks and ready to sign up for an iphone then. I somehow don't think there will be an update until early 2009 so it's safe to buy now in a way.

6. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Really had a chance to play with an iphone (my friend just got one last week)
    and it just makes you want one NOW....its not a phone, its a frackin (BSG ref)
    computer.

Now if we can just find Earth...

7. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

I personally can't see the iPhone's hardware being updated any time soon. Software updates would be available to you any way.
    If you want one and can afford it I see no reason not to get one.

8. esphil macrumors member

End of cycle? Just get one. All apple will do for whenever the hell the new one is released is either a different color, more space and maybe thinner. Its already thin enough and plenty of space with 16gb, just get one.

9. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a

bobbleheadbob

Do not stop, do not pass go. Just. Go. Buy. It. Now.

10. blueicedj macrumors 6502

I disagree with everyone. I think you should wait. Or rather, I personally, would wait. They'll probably update them after Christmas, which a bit of a wait, but personally I'd hate to get the iphone then have it replaced by a new one a few months down the line. I'm hoping they'll put the Nike ipod plus thing in there like they did with the touch. It would be a big plus (no pun) to have that if your a runner.

11. emt1 macrumors 65816

It really can't be improved upon except for increased battery life, smaller size, and increased capacity. If you don't REALLY need any of those to be improved... go for it. BTW, it's iPhone. Not I-Phone.

12. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

Maybe

If 8GB is enough get one but if you want a little more wait till the mid of spring 32GB should come out but it will prob be 300 area.:apple:

13. emt1 macrumors 65816

Or get the 16GB iPhone, which exists, if you need more than 8GB... :rolleyes:

14. NathanA macrumors 6502a

Uhh, I beg to differ. :) The iPhone CAN be improved upon and at some point in the future probably WILL be. In addition to the items you already listed, I could add: higher resolution camera, higher DPI LCD display, faster CPU, more RAM (128MB is truly too low for this device), and better connectivity options, such as 802.11n WiFi vs. the 11g we have now, and 7.2+ Mbps HSDPA + HSUPA instead of the 3.6 Mbps HSDPA + 0 HSUPA we have now.

Yes, that's right: for uploads we are relying upon stock UMTS modulation rates! Why? I wish I knew. HSUPA was already available and being incorporated into other devices well before the iPhone 3G came out. I was very sorry to hear that the 3G was not HSUPA-ready, though I still ended up buying it. :)

-- Nathan