Carrier I plan on buying an AT&T iPhone 4 to unlock for T-Mobile, is unlocking easy now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by albo23, Apr 3, 2014.

1. albo23 macrumors newbie

So I plan on buying an iPhone 4 for my dad because they are much simpler than Androids, and he is a simple man.

However, I have been out of the iPhone game for sometime now. If I buy an ATT iPhone 4, what are my unlocking options to get it on T-Mobile?

2. albo23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Can I take advantage of this even if I am not an ATT customer and have never been?

3. 617aircav Suspended

no

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Or you can pay for an imei unlock but they're expensive nowadays.

5. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

So long as the phone is no longer locked into a contract, anyone with an AT&T account should be able to request the unlock for you.

I am happy to do it, if you like. I have not done an unlock this year, and I think each account is allowed five yearly.

6. akron0488 macrumors member

Not really. Places have guaranteed services for 50 bucks now for iPhone 3gs-5 and have pretty reliable services for out of contract 4's for around 20.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

$50 is still way more than what it used to be before. That's what I meant.
    Before it was $1-2.

8. akron0488 macrumors member

Yeah but 50 is nothing compared to what it was 3 months ago. Besides chances are it's out of contract so he could probably do 20-30.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

True.
    But if it is under contract he can prob get it unlocked for free if he knows someone who has AT&T service.

10. tognettiza macrumors newbie

I have not done an unlock this year, and I think each account is allowed five yearly.

11. cnnrbwn macrumors newbie

Is this true? If it is that would be amazingly helpful to me because I'm in the same situation.

Edit: would you be willing to help out a fellow Boston resident? :D

12. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

No you can't (at least not anymore). Only the original owner can request the unlock for free.

AT&T now checks if the IMEI of the iPhone matches the account number and phone number. If it doesn't then they won't unlock the phone. We've got 4 lines on our account and regularly switch upgrade eligibility between lines. I used the wrong phone number to request the unlock for my 4S and the unlock request was denied. Re-requested unlock using the correct phone number and that went through just fine.

13. manhattanmania macrumors regular

that's not true. i just purchased an ATT phone from ebay (sealed) and decided to try to unlock it and test my luck. the phone is now unlocked, through ATT, even though i'm not the original owner.

14. ineel macrumors regular

Not true, I recently purchased an at&t locked iPhone 4 off of ebay and unlocked it through at&t's unlock process. I didn't need it to be unlocked, but it does increase its re-sale value by $50-$60 by having it unlocked.

15. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Curious, how recently? My unlock request that got denied was in October 2013. I wonder if AT&T has relaxed their policy again.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

October 2013 is a while ago.
    Also sometimes they deny you for no apparent reason and let other unlocks go through with no probs.
    Gotta have some luck too I guess.

17. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

Yea, they denied me twice. Third time was the charm tho.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Same here.
    They denied me to unlock an old iphone when I had just updated that line to an iphone 5. So the old iphone 4 on that line was eligible for unlock.
    I called tech support and the rep was also surprised on why they would deny that online unlock request and went in and unlocked it for me while on the phone.

19. ineel macrumors regular

Literally a day before I made that last post haha. At&t sent me an email within the 24hr timeframe but the iPhone didn't seem to unlock through iTunes. Waited a couple more days and tried unlocking through iTunes again to no avail. I filled out the form again and got the email the next day. Tried unlocking through iTunes and it worked.

It just seems like at&ts unlocking process is kind of finicky

20. 869639 macrumors 6502

As other member said, AT&T iPhone unlocks are tricky and success rate varies by model.

At the end of the day the absolute best any company can do for the lower priced serves is TRY and that is all, no one can give 100% guarantee unlock for the anything thats priced $50 or less.

21. 617aircav Suspended

I bought an iPhone 4 from craigslist and att unlocked it.