Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr Retina

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2013
I sold my first Gen space grey MacBook on Swappa with no issues. As for the price, they have price stats on their website for any item you’re selling. You can see the average price each device has sold at and go from there.

digthewell

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2018
Swappa seems to be a reliable place to offload your old tech, but do beware of a few issues that a lot of people have been victim to here wherein Swappa is brushed off all responsibility.

DBZmusicboy01

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
Swappa seems to be a reliable place to offload your old tech, but do beware of a few issues that a lot of people have been victim to here wherein Swappa is brushed off all responsibility.
What kind of problems ? And for the seller you mean ?

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
Honestly I've sold 15 successful devices on swappa. Apple was offering $600 for my XS Max 64GB. I sold it on swappa for $720 in super mint conditions. Originally I wanted around $750-780. Anyways after fees and all I made $664. Yes its a gamble to make extra $64. For some it isn't worth it. Ill be honest though this year I was able to finally join the Apple UP. Next year I won't do this swappa thing anymore. Ill trade in my Pro Max and get new one. While the buyer received and left positive feed-backs. I received over 15-20 emails/offers for my listing.

Reactions: LBM4

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Honestly I've sold 15 successful devices on swappa. Apple was offering $600 for my XS Max 64GB. I sold it on swappa for $720 in super mint conditions. Originally I wanted around $750-780. Anyways after fees and all I made $664. Yes its a gamble to make extra $64. For some it isn't worth it. Ill be honest though this year I was able to finally join the Apple UP. Next year I won't do this swappa thing anymore. Ill trade in my Pro Max and get new one. While the buyer received and left positive feed-backs. I received over 15-20 emails/offers for my listing.

Depends really. Apple may lower what it offers on trade in next year. iPhone 5g may be more in demand.

I’ll probably stick to buying up front saving 300-400. At a minimum there’s always 10-15% off using veterans discount.

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
I always take my Apple devices to the Apple Store, I didn't know that Swappa offered more
Swappa doesn't "offer" more. You set the price and sell it to another individual willing to pay your price.
I've sold numerous iPhones and MacBooks on Swappa and made hundreds of dollars more than Apple would offer on trade.

Reactions: ROLLTIDE1

danniexi

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
havent had issues and sold all of the devices i put up within 48 hours for near asking price. easily made $100+ over trade-ins from Apple.

WingsAndBeer

Cancelled
May 24, 2019
I've sold 3 items on Swappa with no issues.

There are enough tools on the Swappa website for you to perform the price assessment yourself. We here won't be able to tell you.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
I’ve sold on Swappa before and had a good experience. The problem is the second hand market isn’t what it use to be. You are better off taking the $400 from Apple.
If Apple is offering a $400 trade in on the X, then that's a no-brainer. You couldn't get much more than that on Swappa. But I've bought/sold quite a few devices on Swappa with no issues. Great marketplace.

Reactions: mattopotamus

sniffies

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
Rule of thumb:

- Never do international
- Video record your phone at post office, packing it, handing box to postal worker
- Signature on delivery

But even then, scams can still happen. For instance, one guy detailed his bad experience on Swappa. Buyer claimed that the phone was water damaged. After going back and forth with PayPal and Swappa for several weeks, seller finally won.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
So - is Swappa safer than eBay for an honest seller? I have given up selling anything with moving parts on eBay. I've been scammed by dishonest buyers and don't need the headaches. I've never bought or sold on Swappa. It seems to present the same risks that eBay does for sellers.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
So - is Swappa safer than eBay for an honest seller? I have given up selling anything with moving parts on eBay. I've been scammed by dishonest buyers and don't need the headaches. I've never bought or sold on Swappa. It seems to present the same risks that eBay does for sellers.
Generally I think Swappa is safer than eBay. I’ve sold I think 15 phones and all but one went off without a hitch. The sale that didn’t work out was due to a buyer wanting me to send to a different address from PayPal. Swappa was very good and a staff member actually advised me to cancel the sale which I did.

Swappa now also has local sales sections which is cool. Everything is handled through the website, you just meet the person and give him / her the phone. I did this with my iPhone XS and it was great, the guy powered it on to make sure it worked and we were done.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

This is the perfect post and a perfect example of how the second hand market is not what it use to be. You can make the decision if your time is worth the 10% markup going with swappa.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Swappa Positives for Sellers:
  • The process is good and the buyer pays any Swappa related fees
  • Prices are pretty competitive and there aren't always that many sellers
  • Support is usually much better than eBay
Swappa Negatives for Sellers:
  • Swappa is the most pro-buyer market for phones right now. As such, make sure everything is perfect
  • It's hard to challenge a buyer if something is considered "not as described"
  • Be prepared to accept returns for almost no reason at all
  • Staff is not helpful in some of these situations, and you as the buyer have almost no recourse
  • Swappa also has no mechanism for printing USPS labels or anything else for shipping (somewhat nitpicky)
So, in short, YMMV. I usually try to use it, but I have had one report of a damaged item I know wasn't damaged when I shipped it.

Edit: Forgot to add: Describe the device as clearly and concisely as possible. Concision is key, because buyers will use your words as a promise which can be grounds for returning the device. So make darn sure your device is mint.

Reactions: MrAperture

zblomstrom

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2017

This sounds very similar to my experience. I sold my XS Max 256GB for $755 on launch day an hour after I originally listed my phone. After the Swappa seller fee, PayPal fee, and shipping (including insurance and signature) I ended up with $88 more than what Apple was offering for trade-in. Apple's trade-in offers seem to be getting more and more competitive each year, so much so that I don't think I'll bother with Swappa next year.

Although, I've always had positive experiences using Swappa and would highly recommend the platform. I've sold all my phones and watches on Swappa since the iPhone 7 after using eBay exclusively before then.

I don't like the fact that I don't fully own the phone but I'm thinking that getting onto an "iPhone every year" plan might be a better option for me if I continue to upgrade every year.

dazz87

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
The reason why Swappa is 100x better than ebay cause Swappa at least treat the seller fairly where at Ebay they dont give a crap about the seller. Example, sold a phone on swappa buyer complaint about the phone and Swappa step in and decided the seller was in the right.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
The reason why Swappa is 100x better than ebay cause Swappa at least treat the seller fairly where at Ebay they dont give a crap about the seller. Example, sold a phone on swappa buyer complaint about the phone and Swappa step in and decided the seller was in the right.
Most of the time i think that goes the other way. You pretty much need a video of the packing process to prove things to Swappa.

danniexi

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
If Apple is offering a $400 trade in on the X, then that's a no-brainer. You couldn't get much more than that on Swappa.
disagree. ive had every opportunity to trade my iPhone X in for $400 to Apple but instead sold it on Swappa for $520 (net to me). ymmv but overall i will always attempt to sell on Swappa first before trading it in anywhere.

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
This sounds very similar to my experience. I sold my XS Max 256GB for $755 on launch day an hour after I originally listed my phone. After the Swappa seller fee, PayPal fee, and shipping (including insurance and signature) I ended up with $88 more than what Apple was offering for trade-in. Apple's trade-in offers seem to be getting more and more competitive each year, so much so that I don't think I'll bother with Swappa next year.

Although, I've always had positive experiences using Swappa and would highly recommend the platform. I've sold all my phones and watches on Swappa since the iPhone 7 after using eBay exclusively before then.

I don't like the fact that I don't fully own the phone but I'm thinking that getting onto an "iPhone every year" plan might be a better option for me if I continue to upgrade every year.

My current thought. I do recommend swappa but with current apple good trade in value who knows anymore. Next year I will be trading in my Pro Max for whatever come out next. This year I was finally able to join apple UP. Love it. One monthly payment. Phone from apple. AppleCare+ included. I would always use AT&T next upgrade every year. Thing is I would pay off that device and flip on swappa. I believe this year was it for me. Next year will defiantly just trade in my iPhone to apple. I lease my car too every 3 years so I can enjoy trading in my iPhone every year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.