Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pcypert

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2006
Bangkok
I'm betting on Starcraft long before Diablo 3 and I'm not really seeing either being GOTY for 2008 because I doubt they'll be out then...but I'd LOVE to be surprised. Maybe Starcraft, but I'm much more excited about Diablo and the unannounced third game.

Paul

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
No Single platform game will EVER win GOTY, and GTA IV has it this year, easily.

Last i heard it had been delayed a month, for a release in October (PS Day in London, sometime last month i think) whether this was just EU, i doubt it though because MM wanted worldwide release to be simealtaneous (SP?)

I am Sorry but MGS 4 is gonna win it it was better reviewed than GTA IV i think GTAIVS avg Score was 8.something close to 9 i and metal Gear was 9 or higher on gamefaqs based on overall reviews but yea MGS 4 Blew GTA IV out of the water

KurtangleTN

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2007
I am Sorry but MGS 4 is gonna win it it was better reviewed than GTA IV i think GTAIVS avg Score was 8.something close to 9 i and metal Gear was 9 or higher on gamefaqs based on overall reviews but yea MGS 4 Blew GTA IV out of the water

GTA IV has the top score this generation so far, according to most. I think Gamefaqs READERS did that.

But GTA IV sucked, hard for me. I can't believe they removed so many features from the previous ones that separated it from the clones and wannabes. The mission didn't have the creativity I expect out of the series, I mean most mission/quest based games have you doing variants of the same thing but man GTA it so obvious you are doing the same thing.

The storyline just feels annoying, it attempts to be way too gritty.

I think many reviewers got caught up in the atmosphere the game creates off the bat, and I think if you asked most now they wouldn't say it's a 10/10 game.

evan g

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2008
Well, regardless of who gets the GOTY award, LBP will be well worth the time and money. :)

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
GTA IV has the top score this generation so far, according to most. I think Gamefaqs READERS did that.

But GTA IV sucked, hard for me. I can't believe they removed so many features from the previous ones that separated it from the clones and wannabes. The mission didn't have the creativity I expect out of the series, I mean most mission/quest based games have you doing variants of the same thing but man GTA it so obvious you are doing the same thing.

The storyline just feels annoying, it attempts to be way too gritty.

I think many reviewers got caught up in the atmosphere the game creates off the bat, and I think if you asked most now they wouldn't say it's a 10/10 game.

Caught up in the atmosphere? As harsh as it may sound the only way reviewers could give a game like GTA IV a 10/10 is with Rockstar's big wad of bills in their pocket.

It's a great game, no doubt, but not good enough to have 10 across the board, especially on sites like IGN and GameSpot which hardly ever give out 10s.

stainlessliquid

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2006
I forgot about Fallout 3 and the Blizzard games, I thought they were for 2009. Its going to be hard for them just to make a list of nominees. I have concerns about Fallout 3 though, if they are still using action points for movement and attacking then I dont know how well it will be received, that is an incredibly dated combat system.

This is a crazy year. I still think LBP is going to take it as long as the judges ignore hype behind the "brand names", even the videos of that game are a joy to watch.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I forgot about Fallout 3 and the Blizzard games
And Nintendo games ;) lest you forget Brawl has the same metacritic score as MGS4.

This is a crazy year. I still think LBP is going to take it as long as the judges ignore hype behind the "brand names", even the videos of that game are a joy to watch.

Then it'd be a first. GOTY awards generally run off brands and hype alone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.