I Player on Thursday?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pennine, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Pennine macrumors 6502

So who thinks the I player is coming on Thursday ?

2. knoxtown macrumors 6502

3. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

Its the BBC's video streaming service for over the internet entertainment.

Personally i doubt it.

But as one who can no longer watch BBC one i do sort of pine for Doctor Who to finally come out on iTunes.

4. Pennine thread starter macrumors 6502

The BBC I Player in the UK It allows you to watch any BBC TV from the last 7 Days

5. Pennine thread starter macrumors 6502

Why cant you watch BBC One ?

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If you don't have a TV ;)

Personally it could happen, but it is UK only so probably not.

7. Pennine thread starter macrumors 6502

They said it was coming in the next 2 - 3 weeks did'nt they, lets hope

8. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

actually, the BBC has been very quiet about the iPlayer's (iPhone etc) release. There is nothing on the BBC's website and it has only been "reported" in various newspapers… not confirmed.

9. The Phazer macrumors 68030

There are direct quotes in a dozen major newspapers from Ashley Highfield, head of the BBC's new media division about it.

It's true.

But the timescale was vague in those announcements, and I suspect a bit optimistic anyway - the iPlayer's encoding server has been really playing up the last week or so, so if the iPhone is indeed going to be encoded H264 they may not want to put more pressure on it with *another* format until the issues are sorted.

Phazer

10. domness macrumors 6502a

domness

Right, I really didn't get this post at first..

I was gonna say that the BBC iPlayer has been out for a while now! But then reading some of the posts I realised that this must be a post about bringing it to the iPhone.

I don't think this will ever come to the iPhone.. or at least for a LONG time! I havn't heard anything about it, and it wouldn't be like the BBC to hide things from the public.

Also, my Dad works for the BBC and he says there has been nothing said at work about bringing the iPlayer to the iPhone at all.

11. The Phazer macrumors 68030

They've hardly hidden it - Ashley Highfield said so in a public appearance a week and a half ago, which is why it got reported in several major newspapers.

Erm... maybe you should tell your Dad to look at the Gateway front page occassionally or read the current (until tomorrow) edition of Ariel (the BBC's in house newsletter) where there's an article about it on page 2 that says it's coming within weeks?

Phazer

12. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

You mean like this?
    Where is the direct quote? It is all speculation… yes, there is a likelyhood that it will be implemented at some stage — and I hope very soon — but there has not been any official word on it. Just wishful thinking…
    Well you obviously have access to information the rest of us outside the BBC do not have. It would be great if you could provide a link or at least a quote from that article that supposedly describes the launch of iPlayer for iPhone devices within weeks… ;)
    If true it is great news… until then it remains guesswork and speculation for the rest of us.

13. iSimon macrumors regular

14. The Phazer macrumors 68030

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/feb/20/ipod.apple

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/20/iplayer_flash_iphone/

Anyone externally can subscribe to Ariel, but there is little to tell really - it's a two paragraph article and the only relevant part is the first setence which says "The BBC intends to make it's iPlayer software available on Apple's iPhones and iTouch (sic) within weeks". It then goes on about user numbers for the existing software a bit.

The radio player will also work on the iPhone at some point this year.

Phazer

15. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Thanks for the links.
    It looks promising… let's hope the "within weeks" doesn't mean months! :p :D