I pod touch 2g slows down after new release?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by traxxasthomas, Sep 6, 2010.

1. traxxasthomas macrumors member

Since the new release of the new i pod touch 4g my ipod touch 2g has slowed down a great deal. My ipod has the newest software. I restored it a few times, restarted it a few times. Nothing works, WHY. I do not want to take it in for service. the closest apple store is 3 hours.

The same thing happened with my brothers i-phone he had the 3g but when they released the 3gs it slowed down a LOT.

Sometimes it takes 5 min to turn the i pods on. This thing is so slow!!!

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Generally the older devices become slower and slower as new features are added to the software - basically, the new software needs a lot more processing power which the earlier models lack. I have a 2G touch as well and it is rather slow using the 4.0 software. Honestly, it may be a pain but it's totally normal - the latest version of the software is aimed at the 3G and 4G touch as they have much faster processors and more memory. That's why there's several features missing from the new software that newer models have (multitasking and home screen backgrounds), because the 2G is already slow enough as it is.

If you're claiming that Apple is intentionally slowing down old devices as soon as new ones are released... that's just not true. The proper answer is that every time Apple releases a new iPhone and iPod touch they also release a new version of the software with even more features. The iPhone 3G and 2G touch came with the 2.0 software installed, so the software was optimised to run best on those devices. When the 3GS came out, the 3.0 software was released, which was of course optimised to work best on the 3GS and 3G touch (which also had more memory/faster processor); people noticed that it made the iPhone 3G and 2G touch a bit slower. Even moreso when 4.0 came out, because it added a lot of memory-intensive features.

3. traxxasthomas thread starter macrumors member

I pod touch slowed down after new release?

I have Betaen running ios 4 since it came out never had a problem. But when apple comes out with new iPod touch mine slows down the same day it was released? You tell me apple is not doing it when you have the same problem!!'

4. ultio macrumors newbie

ultio

Well, I'm not sure what you are suggesting with your post... Do you think Apple actually remotely activated some sort of "Slow-Down Mode"? That's just ridiculous. Wait until iOS 4.1 comes out, it supposedly will fix the 2G's perfomance problems.

5. Wallace2 macrumors member

You dont think that if Apple was intentionaly slowing down hardware we would have heard about it by now? I mean there were what 25 million 2g touch's sold, someone would have complained by now with a lawsuit.

6. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Actually, I made it clear that mine slowed down when iOS 4.0 was first released (which is a documented problem that Apple is trying to fix), not a couple days ago when the new touch was announced. There is no way Apple could do this anyway - there has been no software update since the new iPods were announced, and that's the only way Apple could implement a 'change' like that (in fact, at the keynote Steve said that the NEXT update, due next week, will fix speed issues for the iPhone 3G and, presumably, the 2G touch as they are a part of the same 'generation'). Also, considering the 3G touch has already been available for a year why would Apple just now intentionally try and slow down the touch from TWO years ago :rolleyes:

As has been said, they wouldn't do it otherwise they will get a HUGE lawsuit.

7. traxxasthomas thread starter macrumors member

Yes but what do i do if the 4.1 software dose not fix this.

I am NOT staying with a ipod that is so slow i can barley ever use it. I am calling apple.

8. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

You have to remember, the 2G touch is made using parts from two years ago, of course it's not going to run the software as smoothly as it used to. Apple has no obligation to even support old models with the new software (old iPod nanos and classics never receive updates after a new model comes out). If you're thinking Apple is going to give you a new touch for free or something by complaining, don't count on it.

9. Wallace2 macrumors member

Then downgrade to 3.0 or 2.0

10. traxxasthomas thread starter macrumors member

I dont plan on getting a new 2g model I am going to PAY for a new 4g. i AM JUST GOING TO TRY TO CALL APPLE.

11. Link2999 macrumors 6502

My 1G takes 10mins to turn on. I just leave it in sleep 24/7 now. Charge it when it gets low.

12. traxxasthomas thread starter macrumors member

that is what I mean it takes 5 min to turn on from sleep. thats wrong

13. ultio macrumors newbie

ultio

5 minutes to turn on from sleep? I honestly don't believe that. You don't happen to have a camera and could a post a video on youtube really quick?

14. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

I think they mean to actually turn it on after it's powered down, not from sleep. In the rare chance I ever restart/power off mine, it also takes around five minutes, but it's been like that ever since I got it back in Jan 09.