I-Pod touch wifi

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Zeeinnm, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Zeeinnm macrumors member

We have an Imac and am using DSL. Hubby gave me an I-Pod Touch. Can someone direct me to info on what I need to get to have wifi so I can use it at home. I was really impressed with the things I could do from my motel room and feel deprived at home.

2. bkap16 macrumors member

You need a wi-fi router. Apple makes the Airport [extreme/express] routers. You should also be able to pick up any 802.11b/g/n wi-fi router and use it. They all have a web-based utility where you can configure them, so they'll work even if the CD won't.

3. glennsan macrumors regular

wifi access

What you need to do is go get a wireless base station and hook it up between your dsl and imac. It will have instructions on how to configure it and allow you to connect to the internet with your ipod touch. My recommendation is for you to get one of the Apple Airport Extreme Base Stations as they are the easiest to configure and work well in my experience. Additionally it will allow you to plug in a printer or extra hard drive if you get a laptop and access them over your new network. If you don't need the extra user connectivity or split 802.11n/g then the Airport Express would save you some money.

Glennsan

4. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

You can do as the above poster says and buy a wireless router which you can connect your internet line to, which you'll be able to use to access the internet on both the iMac and iPod (as the iMac has Airport, which is the Mac's wireless internet utility). However, if you don't want to buy a router just yet the following steps should do just fine:

On your iMac, open System Preferences, then Sharing. Click on Internet Sharing. In the drop down menu, select Ethernet. In the box underneath that, select Airport. Then, finally, on the left hand side of the screen, check the box next to where "Internet Sharing" is displayed. You should now be able to access the internet by connecting to the wireless signal being transmitted by the iMac.

5. veeco3110 macrumors 6502

veeco3110

just follow the instructions in that pdf file.

itll show what you need and what does where...((thats what she said))