I predict the next MBP refresh will make the 13.3 MBA a hard sell

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by catalyst6, Oct 30, 2010.

1. catalyst6 macrumors 6502a

catalyst6

More than likely, the 13 inch MBP will be significantly more powerful, making the thinness "premium" of the 13.3 MBA difficult to justify?

Any speculation? I see a trickle down effect....if the MBA gets relatively equivalent tech, imagine what the new MBPs will have next year.

Any thoughts? I predict once this happens more people will swing for the 11.6 version. Hard to say though...

2. neteng101 macrumors 65816

I suspect the next MBP will NOT have a 13" option.

3. elwood58 macrumors member

I predict the OP is trying to talk himself out of the 13 and into the 11.

4. highscheme macrumors regular

I suspect you should get the 11" now while its fresh and new tech

5. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I agree with your assessment. :)

6. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

For all intents and purposes, the current 13" MBP is just slightly better than a plastic Macbook. I think we've seen the end of the 13" MBP's with the introduction of the 13" MBA.

7. Moodikar macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Maybe 13mbp is gone but then again, it might get Sandy Bridge first and usb3 as one more round. When MBA gets these, then it's over.

Otherwise, it will continue to be ahead of the air in power and storage (currently upgradable to 1tb internal). People may still need large capacity storage - that ssd may not catch up to at a reasonable price.

Subtle differences but isn't that why a MBA is not a MBP. 13 inch is good in both worlds.

8. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Mbp will get more air like, including a no cd drive option.

I'm betting the 13 mbp is dead in a year.

11-13 airs, 15-17 mbp. 13 polycarbonate.

9. bossxii macrumors 68000

News flash.... People are not buying the MBA for it's "power" they buy it because it's compact, portable and does the job they need it to. I don't care what laptop running windows has a Quad core i7 and 20 gigs of ram... I don't need nor can I use that much power so even at $699 from any PC vendor it's pretty much a waste of my money. I don't want to lug around a 12lb laptop so I can check email, login to my work VPN and surf.

Buy the tools you need to do the job. Not the larget hammer in the store. Sometimes those precision tools cost more money.

10. animatedude macrumors 65816

steve said no USB 3.

the 13'' MBP is the most successful Macbook according to Apple why would they discontinue it? get real.

11. bcaslis macrumors 68020

The iPod mini was the most successful iPod ever until it was replaced by the iPod nano.

12. catalyst6 thread starter macrumors 6502a

catalyst6

I have the 11.6 currently....didnt mean to offend anyone, I just meant that I feel like the next MBP will be significantly more powerful negating the close gap between the MBA 13 and MBP 13.

I also think that it is very possible that the 13 inch MBP will disappear....actually I think that is a very likely option!

13. Lambros macrumors regular

Please look at this thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1036395

The 13" MBP is supposedly Apple's best selling notebook. Would this not make it quite illogical to discontinue a product which is their best selling laptop? I do believe Apple has too many 13" notebooks, just don't see the point in doing this. They would be better to cut off the MB and call the 13" MBA the MB. Just saying. I don't think any of this would happen though.

14. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

Your first comment has some merit. However, with the second comment, you completely contradict it. :rolleyes:

As for the demise of the 13" mbp, it's not going anywhere! Hopefully, it gets upgraded with some good specs (especially the screen). And, yes, if so, it will seriously challenge the 13" mba.

Remarkably, Apple has a way to get so many to purchase expensive products with extremely clever marketing and good product offerings. Hey, I'm a victim, too! However, some of these products fall out of the necessity category and many people start to rethink their expenditures. Also, glitches like poor screens, loose hinges, and overheating make one rue the buy. So, to ease their conscious (or to purchase some other Apple product) and/or to recoup a good share of the purchase price, they resell it. Personally, I really like both of the new mbas. Unfortunately, it's not in my budget. Within a few months, I, probably, and for a nice discount, will be able to get one off of ebay.

Impulse buys have a tendency to be regretted, especially expensive purchases like the upgraded mbas; hence, the resale.

15. iDave macrumors 6502a

I predict the 13" MBP will lose the optical drive, get the 1440 pixel screen and become the new low-end MacBook at $999, replacing the white one. New 15" and 17" MBPs will become more Air-like (somewhat thinner) with better screens; no optical drives; but will still contain hard drives. All this will happen around March. Apple will retain an old-style 15" MBP with an optical drive for six months after that, for those who think they need a built-in optical drive.

16. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Let's just not forget what SJ did with his NeXTcube back in 1990: CD drive only; forget the floppies. And this is back in 1990 when floppies ruled the world! Though he did let people put in an optional floppy drive on BTO models. Anyway...the guy has and will change the market and we won't look back much.

I for one certainly do not want to spin any electric motors just because I need to transfer some info. That is so 20th century. Let us move on. :)

17. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

When Steve announced the App Store for Macs reassured the days of the Mac optical drives are numbered.

18. HelloMikee macrumors 6502a

HelloMikee

The 13" MBP is done. It's replaced by a fantastic machine. What more do people want?

19. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

The days of any revision being significantly more powerful are over, until quantum processors are commercially viable. It's no longer leaps and bounds, more like small improvements.

White MacBook is going to be the first to go. I think we'll have a 13" MBP for a few more years. It's going to be awhile before the ULV/low-end GPUs are good enough for the pro users, so Apple is going to keep a more performance oriented line for awhile.

But yes, optical drives and rotating HDs are on the way out.

20. animatedude macrumors 65816

u r crazy.

21. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

That's exactly what he did. Good point!

22. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

Steve has no problem giving the world the finger

PS, I hope Lion comes on USBs too

23. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I actually so hope that will be the case.

24. freddiecable macrumors 6502a

freddiecable

1. Optical drives are on the way out

2. Just because the 13" mbp is the top selling does not mean they can't improve it. Question is if the 13" mpa is The improvement? What if they remove the optical in the mbp and add more battery? Imagine the amount of time you can work on such a machine!

25. vaderhater245 macrumors 6502

or that extra space could be a discrete gpu making the 13" worthy of the pro name.