iPad mini I prefer the yellow tint!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Miltz, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Miltz macrumors 6502

Am I the only one who prefers the iPad mini with retina display that's slightly warmer in color or as people call it yellow? I really prefer that to be honest it's easier on the eyes, especially the dark room. My Dell monitor which is 100% sRGB kills my eyes, it's hard to work on for long hours. So I'm glad my iPad is warmer :)

2. mrgossett macrumors 6502

My rMini's display is not yellow. Whites are white and bright.

3. brent1977, Dec 27, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2013

brent1977 macrumors regular

Virtually all the complaints I've seen (and voiced myself) had nothing whatsoever to do with the overall temperature or tint of the display. The problem being described is that the display has one temperature/tint on one side or edge of the screen and transitions to another temperature/tint on another side or edge.

The rMinis I tried had a warm tint towards the home button and transitioned to a cool tint toward the camera. Had the entire screen been uniformly tinted to any degree between those two extremes, I would have been thrilled.

My 1st gen iPad, 1st gen Mini, iPad 3, and several iPhones have always varied somewhat in color temperature from one to the next, but none of them varied significantly from one side of the screen to the other.

4. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

Hell I wish fl.ux was available on these so the colors could get extra warm at night. :p

5. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

I wonder if these gradients are actually Jony Ive's intentional designs. The guy seems to love gradients and transparencies in iOS 7, so here you go.

6. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

It's available on iOS... you just need to jailbreak, lol.

7. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

Well, running the 7.1 beta means no jailbreak for me, haha.

8. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

Pretty much the reason I'm sticking to iOS 5... because there's no 6.1.3 jailbreak.

It would be glorious if Apple would open iOS to little system tweaks like f.lux. I'm not going to expect the impossible, however ;)

9. Miltz thread starter macrumors 6502

I wonder why Apple doesn't allow a app like f.lux? I use it on my desktop and it's great.

10. KhunJay macrumors regular

KhunJay

lol... if you like a uniform yellow screen while reading the ibooks settings allow you to choose sepia as a theme for books...its pretty good though I still prefer white.

11. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

I would agree. Just because it is different from someone else's doesn't mean it is awful. You have a valid point.

12. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

I also do that! My eyes thank me.

13. EezyE macrumors regular

My screen isn't yellow either. It's bright white just like my iPhone 5.

14. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

My display is slightly warmer than the previous iPad 4, and this is very different from calling it yellow or yellowish ....

15. Miltz thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree , There is tons of people who are returning their iPads because they think the screen is yellow I think it's crazy. That being said, it's the best screen I've seen on mobile device, even though it not full sRGB like the air.

16. atlatnesiti macrumors 6502a

Yellow tinting I don't mind at all, it's the nature of LCD displays and also dependent on the viewing angle.
    Light bleeding on the other hand is a "no-no" in my books...
    But that's just me, "horses for courses"... ;)

17. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Could you explain what do you mean with light bleeding ?

18. Davidsr20 macrumors member

Finally managed to return my mini which had a blue tint on top of screen. Waiting on my new one now. It should be here Monday from apple. Hopefully it's better but I'd expect it will be a build week 50 or 51.
    I also had back light bleeding.

19. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

[​IMG]

Oooops, it's not an iPad, it's a Nexus 10.
    Maybe like this :

[​IMG]

Oh no ... It's a Nexus 7 !

Joke apart, was it on the same extent of those in the pictures ?

20. Tjosansa macrumors regular

Tjosansa

Wow thats the worst shlt ive EVER seen!

21. boobie12 macrumors 6502

You can jail break 7.1 beta

22. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

Oh really? Interesting. Might do that just for BiteSMS.

23. boobie12 macrumors 6502

Yep and go to the jailbreak section of macrunors will show you how to keep beta 2 from expiring so you don't lose jailbreak and keep beta 2.(which is the best version to be jail broken on)

24. Radeon85 macrumors regular

Wish I could get a retina mini with an even tint, first one had very bad light leakage, it was visible even if the backlight was on 20% in dim lighting, overall uniformity wasn't to bad though, genius looked at the photo I took and agreed to replace it on the spot.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Replacement has light leakage in the same two corners but half has bad, but has very bad uniformity, top 70% of the screen is pure bright white, bottom 30% gets more yellow and a hair darker to the bottom :mad:. Genius took it into the back for 2mins and agreed to replace it immediately, but again, no replacements available.

Waiting for my third one to be ordered in to the store, doubt they are going to keep many replacements as it's the 128gb white cellular model.

No dead pixels or any other issues with either screens apart from the half yellow tint.

My mums 1st gen mini had an issue with light leakage, very large yellow leakage to the left.

[​IMG]

Took it back the next day for a new replacement, the replacement was perfect, no light leakage at all and a much whiter screen.

[​IMG]

25. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Wow, very bad light leakage on he first two photos :eek:
    Never seen an iPad screen so awful ....