I Purchased Both the 13" and 15" - Which One?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by daudi81, Oct 26, 2013.

1. daudi81 macrumors regular

FYI - this is my first mac machine after 15+ years of being a big windows nerd. Windows 8 lost it for me, and I'm REALLY impressed with Mountain Lion / Mavericks. So the choice was easy.

Anyway, my story: I was at the Apple store to pick up the new 15" pro. However, they didn't have any of the high end 15" left - so I bought the highest 13" model. I can't do 256gb, so the 13" it had to be. After I purchased it, the guy called me and said a store 20 minutes away had 1 15" left - and I could buy both and return the one I don't want.

So now I'm sitting here with both the high end 13" and high end 15" - side by side. I thought I would be dissapointed with the 13", but it's not bad at all - and the smaller size is really nice. The caveat is that I have 3 27" monitors for work, and have not had a chance to hook either up yet (I won't be at work for several more days). So I haven't been able to really stress either one out yet.

If the 13" is going to be fast enough, I'd definitely rather have that - the smaller size is so much more convenient. I just don't want to regret the speed. I don't run major programs like photoshop - but I have a crap load of programs (browsers, pictures, movies, small-ish picture editor programs, etc) open across 3 monitors. The guys at the store said the 13" would have no issues with that, but I just want to make sure. Then again the 15" isn't THAT much bigger, and it actually feels a bit lighter on my lap since the weight is more spread out - weird. The larger screen is pretty nice too. Not to mention, the battery seems about the same on both - even though I thought the 13" one would be quite a bit better. Very surprising. I seriously can't decide!

BTW - I don't game a lot anymore, and if I do it's on the ps3/xbox. But it would be nice to have something that could play light games if I wanted (diablo 3, civ, sc2, etc).

2. aiyaaabatt macrumors 6502

What is the $ saved if you went with the 13''? And, is $ much of an issue for you?

3. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

I'd like to point out that you actually have right now, in your possession, the two computers that you're asking advice about.

Why not just spend a bit of time with them and trust your gut feeling?

4. iPhone5s5c macrumors member

What are the specs of the 15 inch one you bought and how much was it?

5. daudi81 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the responses.

Specs on both are the highest you can physically buy at the Apple store (not configured online).

So: 15" i7 2.3gz , 512gb, 16gb, 750m, etc $2599
    And: 13" i5 2.6hz, 512gb, 8gb, Iris, etc $1799

Money doesn't matter. So that's not the issue.

The main reason I'd keep the 13" is because it's more portable - but I absolutely can't get one that's not going to be quick enough for me. I'm going on vacation, and won't be at work in time before the return policy kicks in - so I've got to decide without hooking either up to my monitors at work, etc. Unless I can think of something that will let me emulate that situation, but I can't think of any at the moment. I'm a little out of my element because I'm used to PC's / Windows and I'm not as familiar with specs translating into the Mac environment. This is really new to me.

6. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

i dont get it you PHYSICALLY have both computers and your no sure? play around with both and see which feels best.

honestly u went high end and most average people dont even need those specs.

i dont get what else u want from us when you HAVE both computers

FYI if u dent or damage either one of t hem the store wont take it back and you would be stuck with 5 grand worth of macs LOLOLOL

7. daudi81 thread starter macrumors regular

I just don't want to be missing something obvious - like the 13"s graphics card not suitable to run 3 monitors, etc. Like I said, I'm new to Macs, and I won't have a chance to really test them in the environment I need before the return policy poops out.

I'll just keep playing around with them, trying to slow the 13" down, and if I can't I' guess I'll just assume / cross my fingers that it can run the 3 monitor situation and take the 15" back. If they would have had the 15" in the first place I wouldn't be in this predicament, but now I feel spoiled with the 13" portability =/

8. iPhone5s5c macrumors member

You can try them both and see what works best for you, but if it was my choice I would go with the 15 inch to be more future proof. Hope you enjoy your new Mac! :):)

9. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

My guess is the 13" might run a little warmer than the 15" driving three 27" monitors.

10. Pochi Hanaki macrumors regular

I am amazed at people who reply to posts and either don't read or don't understand them. He stated he has 3 27" monitors for work and would like to know if there are any issues with either computer using that configuration as he doesn't currently have access to them and won't until after the return date is past.

So if anyone has this kind of set up please let him know.

11. Scott7975 macrumors 6502

I would think the 15" would be better to drive 3 monitors.

What programs do you run on it and how many open applications will you have? Do you use any VMs? That type of stuff may make the 16GBS of RAM a better choice as well.

12. illian macrumors regular

Well the programs you are using, do not need high end CPU/gpu. Your CPU could be bored with those tasks ;)

If the 13 officially supports 3 monitors, you should be fine. If u need portability go with 13, if not 15.

13. Benk3350 macrumors member

If you are going to be using the 27 inch monitors on a very regular basis, I would highly suggest keeping the 15 inch.

The 13" should technically be able to handle it, but if you ever start using higher intensity programs you could run into some programs and it might end up being too slow for you.

External displays will run specifically off of the 750M you have in the 15", which is much more suitable for multiple displays. The 13" will be running off the Iris.

So just by the fact alone that you are using multiple 27" monitors make me think you will want the 15". However, if you are only using those displays sometimes, it won't be as much of a difference. Then I would say just keep whichever you like and/or is more convenient for your life.

but my personal 2 cents is keep the 15".

14. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

If money is no object, return both and order (BTO) a real max out 13 inch rMBP (2.8/16/1TB).

15. daudi81 thread starter macrumors regular

I'll be running parallels since a few programs I need require windows (not sure if that's what you meant by VM's).

Also that was a good point about the external monitors using the 750m, didn't think about that. I wish the 13" had at least the iris pro - this would make my decision a lot easier. I've been forcing this 15" to run the iris pro lately and it's still a beast for an integrated gpu. The 5100 iris is decent, but I've been able to *slightly* slow it down with a few things - I can't believe how big of a leap it is to last years though.

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Since you said money doesn't matter.

Keep the 15" MacBook Pro for power and pick up a 11" MacBook Air for portability. I also have three Thunderbolt displays.

You can still bring the 15" out if you need the performance; the MacBook Air is excellent in both performance and battery life, and it's a lot more portable. I run the same heavy stuff that I use my MacBook Pro for, on my MacBook Air; no issues with performance and handling said applications though of course rendering and processing duties are a bit slower. The heavy stuff I refer to are Photoshop, Lightroom, Final Cut.

Anyways that's my set up and seems to work very well.

If the 11" is too small, the 13" is great.

17. daudi81 thread starter macrumors regular

That's a pretty good idea. Is there a way to sync the 2 computers up so they have the same settings / files so I have access to my work regardless of what laptop I'm on? I know there's the icloud thing (not too familiar with it yet), so things can be stored online. But if there's a way to make it so whatever I do on this computer (downloaded files, change a picture, create an article, etc) will automatically be mirrored on the other? That's probably the future tech, just curious though. I've been really impressed at how useful some features are in mac osx, so I wouldn't be surprised if there was something like that.

18. daudi81 thread starter macrumors regular

Also, I was thinking of doing this, but with the new iPad when I need extreme portability (instead of the air). Although I'm guessing the new iPad probably won't be fast enough. I guess we'll see...