Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I'm goin on 3 weeks not smoking. Today I was having a real bad withdrawl which felt like it lasted all day. I was a smoker for 15 years. I just want to know if its normal? And what can I do to calm it? Please need advice don't like this feeling. Can't even care for my kids :(

E-ciggs saved me from going back to regular ciggs when I was 4 months already off and the craving was too much.

I would highly recommend e-ciggs if the craving is too unbearable, but ONLY the ones without nicotine. I started on e-ciggs with nicotine, and it was slightly tough to quit those. Now I don't mess with e-ciggs neither, but it's nice to know I can always go back to a non-nicotine e-cigg if my craving kicks in.

It's been 5 years off regular ciggs for me.

mgguy

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
I'm goin on 3 weeks not smoking. Today I was having a real bad withdrawl which felt like it lasted all day. I was a smoker for 15 years. I just want to know if its normal? And what can I do to calm it? Please need advice don't like this feeling. Can't even care for my kids :(

Don't fight against the withdrawal feelings. Embrace them. They will soon pass and never come again. They are a symptom of the healing process. Stay engaged in something physical until the feeling passes.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
Congratulations on a quitting. Motivation and perseverance is key! If you do relapse, don't let things spiral back to your previous usage. Accept the mistake and move on. Try to stay away from areas where you might come across smokers, often smoked in the past, and keep out of the gas stations/convenience stores as much as possible, especially for now.

I spent some of my rotations in a smoking cessation clinic and currently spend a lot of time working with patients in addiction treatment. Quitting smoking is by far one of the toughest habits to quit. It doesn't have the same withdrawal symptoms as other drugs, but the way it is engraved into one's daily routine is frequently an issue for people.

Exercise, stay social (with non smoking friends), and eat healthy! Keep us updated! Best of Luck

Last edited:

mgguy

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
Congratulations on a quitting. Motivation and perseverance is key! If you do relapse, don't let things spiral back to your previous usage. Accept the mistake and move on. Try to stay away from areas where you might come across smokers, often smoked in the past, and keep out of the gas stations/convenience stores as much as possible, especially for now.

I spent some of my rotations in a smoking cessation clinic and currently spend a lot of time working with patients in addiction treatment. Quitting smoking is by far one of the toughest habits to quit. It doesn't have the same withdrawal symptoms as other drugs, but the way it is engraved into one's daily routine is frequently an issue for people.

Exercise, stay social (with non smoking friends), and eat healthy! Keep us updated! Best of Luck
Did you mean this congratulations to be directed at sandyA? I quit smoking years ago, except for a rare cigar that I don't inhale.

Nabooly

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
I quit November '14. Picked up ecigs and vaping and haven't had a cig since. I started with 12mg nicotine and have gone down to 3mg. I'm now using an iStick with Kangertech Subtank Plus :D

Treblemax

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2017
Hey guys, i'm proud to say i've been a non-smoker for 3 weeks tomorrow. It's so liberating and empowering, i feel like i can do anything now. Here are some tips that really helped me out.

1) Quit on a Sunday night after a weekend of heavy drinking and smoking.
2) Have you last cigarette before bed that night, and make sure it's the last one in the pack, so you don't have anymore.
3) Monday morning is a new day, new week, and you don't have any cigarettes. Now is your big chance. Jolly ranchers helped me beat the craving, the first few days were the most brutal. Oh, and chocolate, LOTS of chocolate.
4) Reward yourself. When you hit one month, buy yourself something. I'm treating myself to another tattoo next week. With all the money you're saving, you deserve it!

Now whenever i have a craving, i beat it just by thinking i've been smoke free for 3 weeks and it would be stupid to ruin it now. I've also trained my mind to associate cigarettes with poison instead of pleasure. You might gain a bit of weight if you don't go to the gym, but damn, it's so worth it.
Congrats to all of you who are quitting. A friend of mine who quit after 15 years said the the thing that did the trick for him was cutting a straw down to the size of a cigarette and having one with him all the time. He could chew on it or simply fidget with it in his hand. He said it took care of that habitual physical stimulation and sensation that his body was used to getting from smoking and holding a cigarette. Over time he was gradually able to stop using the straws as his "sobriety" maintained. However, he says even after years of not smoking he still gets cravings.
Hey everyone
[doublepost=1509837542][/doublepost]Hey everyone. Congrats to anyone who has quit. And thanks for the support by anyone on these blogs. I quit 3 weeks ago, after a heart attack 8 years ago and smoking for a total of 40 years. I am 54 years old and surprisingly still in pretty good shape. Still have most of you hair and don't have gut LOL. My tipping point came for me in the form of chest pain, which increased with smoking a cigarette, and wouldn't subside. I was freaking out and went to emerg. All my tests came back clean(thank God). But every time a had a smoke, I felt like a bag of ****, with the pain and a messed up heartbeat. When I came home from the hospital, I threw away my smokes and haven't looked back. Turns out fear is a great motivator! I am pleading to current smokers to not give up trying to quit. Don't be a dumb ass and let it go on too long. I thought I would turn into a different person if I quit smoking. Guess what, I did. That person is a non smoker. But everything else is the same. 3 weeks in and I feel great. I've always exercised, but now it feels a lot better. Food tastes better. Life is better, and yeah I still have my moments when I want a cigarette but I know, really know, I'll never pick up another cigarette again.

Good luck, Treblemax

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.