Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
Before you say it, no, I'm not a troll. I have an 8GB iPod nano, and I've had an iPod video 60GB and an iPod Photo 40GB. I like the Zune, my only problems are that it's bulky and I don't like the positioning of the controls (or the controls themselves). Otherwise I think it's great.

Now, I want to hear what people really think. I've noticed a lot of fanboys here, who won't accept that yeah, it may fail, and it may not look as good as the iPod, and of course there's then the accusation that it's copied the iPod, a lot.

I agree with the second point. I think it'll sell well, and I think that it's hard to not copy rivals today. The software on the Zune looks brilliant, it's a shame that the iPod isn't moving as fast, software wise.

You might not like it, because it's Microsoft, or because it's the alleged iPod killer (I don't think it is) but what do people really think? What do you like about it, what don't you like about it?

Thanks.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I haven't paid much attention to the Zune, so I don't really have any input, but I wanted to make sure that you were aware of this thread...some good points raised in there.

SMM

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2006
Tiger Mountain - WA State
Ubuntu said:
Before you say it, no, I'm not a troll. I have an 8GB iPod nano, and I've had an iPod video 60GB and an iPod Photo 40GB. I like the Zune, my only problems are that it's bulky and I don't like the positioning of the controls (or the controls themselves). Otherwise I think it's great.

Now, I want to hear what people really think. I've noticed a lot of fanboys here, who won't accept that yeah, it may fail, and it may not look as good as the iPod, and of course there's then the accusation that it's copied the iPod, a lot.

I agree with the second point. I think it'll sell well, and I think that it's hard to not copy rivals today. The software on the Zune looks brilliant, it's a shame that the iPod isn't moving as fast, software wise.

You might not like it, because it's Microsoft, or because it's the alleged iPod killer (I don't think it is) but what do people really think? What do you like about it, what don't you like about it?

Thanks.

I do not like being called 'fanboy', because I do not share your viewpoints. Zune is just another MS rip-off of someone else's hard work.

ChickenSwartz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2006
Ubuntu said:

Thanks.

Fix the bulkyness and the controls minus the bigger screen and you have an iPod.

Apple held out, made MS show their cards, I can't wait to see the 6G iPod counter.

jhu

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2004
Ubuntu said:

Thanks.

admitting that you like anything microsoft is a sin on these forums. you should be toeing the party line: down with microsoft, hooray for all things apple!

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
SMM said:
I do not like being called 'fanboy', because I do not share your viewpoints. Zune is just another MS rip-off of someone else's hard work.

Whoah now, I didn't say everyone was a fanboy. Do you really think I'd be so single-minded to think that you're a fanboy for having different opinions? I'd agree that the Zune is a rip off, to a degree, but I also think it's good, in some ways. I won't be buying one, not a chance in hell, but I don't think it's awful.

There are just a large amount of people who hate it because it's Microsoft, or want to hate it because it's Microsoft.

Chicken said:
Fix the bulkyness and the controls minus the bigger screen and you have an iPod.

But what about the software? It seems to be significantly better than that of the iPod.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
Ubuntu said:
But what about the software? It seems to be significantly better than that of the iPod.

What is it about the software that you find to be so much better? I honestly don't know how one goes about improving on the iPod software interface.

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
gauchogolfer said:
What is it about the software that you find to be so much better? I honestly don't know how one goes about improving on the iPod software interface.

Personally, I just prefer the better freedom. I like the iPod interface (albeit it is slow on my nano but that's just the nano, twill be fixed) but it doesn't offer small things like wallpapers.

Also, the Zune has wireless capabilities, which is going to be handy. I still prefer the iPod, but all I'm saying is that the Zune isn't that bad. I don't think the controls are any good though, that's the one let down for me (size is second).

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
How much time do you actually spend looking at the screen?

Wouldn't wallpaper making the text harder to read?

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
My Nano plays my music just fine.

The Zune wouldn't be able to. Hell, from what I've read it won't even play music you've already bought using PlaysForSure.

That just about sums it up.

Plus every time I see a video of someone playing with a Zune I wince when I see them "click click click"ing to scroll through their music. Horrible, horrible, horrible.

Foggy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2006
London, UK
All depends what they do with it - I was a major PS fan (early PS1 and a PS2 on release day), got an xbox towards the end of its life and their implentation of xbox live meant I bought a 360 instead of waiting for PS3.

I am not a fan of MS in general, and I really dont like they fact they tend to copy rather than invent, but sometimes they do it bloody well and do manage to be innovative with it.

Doubt I will get a Zune, but will be interested to see what they do with it.

eji

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2004
INW
I like the big screen, which is better for video than that of the iPod, which, unlike the Zune, is actually available to consumers right now and has a corresponding movie store. I think it's one step above idiotic to try to get people to buy movies for a portable device that isn't particularly well suited to play them. The video iPod should have been released at "It's Showtime." And until the video iPod does arrive, the larger Zune screen will still find favor with me.

I think the Zune will sell well despite its flaws. Some people will decide it's the right media player for them, just like some people decide that a Mac is the right computer for them.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I honestly thought Microsoft would do a lot better with their first generation of Zunes... I'm totally unimpressed. Having said that, I am sure it will be the second-biggest selling MP3 player within a couple of years at most.

I still get the feeling it's all a bit half-baked (maybe intentionally so they can have progressively 'better' models each time they update them), like there was a meeting that went something like the following (meant to be light-hearted, not flaming!):

MSFT PERSON 1: "iTunes iZunes, how we gonna beat Apple?"
MSFT PERSON 2: "wait, what did you say, 'Zune'? I like that"
MSFT PERSON 1: "what? Um.. oh, yeah, right, Zune, I think it has just the right amount of 'strangeness' to it, like iPod did!!"
MSFT PERSON 2: "But what shall we do about the design..."
MSFT PERSON 1: "Well, the screen should be bigger."
MSFT PERSON 2: "You mean a higher resolution? Interesting..."
MSFT PERSON 1: "Oh no, no need for that, just make it actually bigger. Most people won't know the difference."
MSFT PERSON 2: "I like your thinking. What about colours? Apple have used a lot of them already, we don't want to seem like we are copying them...."

*they stare at each other for a moment.*

MSFT PERSON 1&2: "BWAHaahahahaaaahhaa... "
MSFT PERSON 1: "Black and White then?"
MSFT PERSON 2: "Yeah, and why not some other colour that Apple hasn't used?"
MSFT PERSON 1: [Jokingly]"What, like ... Brown?!"
MSFT PERSON 2: "Heheh... yeah, that'd keep the advertising boys on their toes!"
MSFT PERSON 1: "You know we still haven't actually come up with anything really different that we can point to as making it better than the iPod yet"
MSFT PERSON 2: "Oh, you know the drill, we'll google some buzzwords on the odd windows forum here and there and crowbar the first couple of entries into the mix to make it sound fantastic. *taps keyboard* ... Wireless eh?"
MSFT PERSON 1: "Won't that kill the battery life and lead to Digital Rights issues?"
MSFT PERSON 2: "Oh, no it's ok, we're going to cripple all our files even more than Apple do, the wireless thing is just a gimmick, obviously. No-one will even use it except tech reviewers and online nerds".
MSFT PERSON 1: "Great. So we're done, I'll pass the plans on to all 5 marketing departments and then they can pass on the details to that guy in the basement that gets the stuff ordered when it's ready! Cool!"

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
eji said:
I like the big screen, which is better for video than that of the iPod, which, unlike the Zune, is actually available to consumers right now and has a corresponding movie store. I think it's one step above idiotic to try to get people to buy movies for a portable device that isn't particularly well suited to play them. The video iPod should have been released at "It's Showtime." And until the video iPod does arrive, the larger Zune screen will still find favor with me.

I don't think it's a case of "trying to sell movies" as much as demand being proven with TV. The shows were big sellers, why not get into selling movies instead of delaying it for a hardware player? Especially when the iPod can output to TV, people can watch on a computer screen, AND Apple preannounced iTV. And especially when it's going to take some time to get other studios on board - at this point, movie selection will get good about the time the video ipod ships.

I doubt people will be that swayed by a screen that's what, an inch bigger tops? I certainly wouldn't call it big. And Zune will only have the bigger screen for a short time, if they were going to hype the bigger screen, they should have gone quite a bit bigger, instead of just a tiny improvement that apple can easily leapfrog.

When you say "find favor" does that mean you're actually going to buy one? Or just keep using your ipod but saying nice things online about Zune?

eji

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2004
INW
I don't think it's a case of "trying to sell movies"

When you wrap something in quotes, it's taken to mean you're quoting -- in this case, something I supposedly said. And though it might be a matter of extreme pedantry to make a distinction between "trying to sell movies" and "try[ing] to get people to buy movies," the bottom line is that I didn't say "trying to sell movies."

Having said (and really said) that, you're right. I was looking at how ill-suited the iTunes-offered movies were to the current video-capable iPod without taking into consideration the fact that Apple might just be working up to something bigger incrementally, rather than slapping us with it all at once. This way, word gets out that you can buy movies at the iTS. And it's easy. And more studios catch on. So when the true video iPod does appear, the groundwork is already laid.

But I disagree with you about the screen size. I have a Zaurus SL-6000 and the 4" screen looks HUGE compared to other PDAs on offer. That's one of the primary reasons why I got it instead of, say, a Treo. On portable screens, an inch or so makes a big difference, especially when viewing videos.

When you say "find favor" does that mean you're actually going to buy one? Or just keep using your ipod but saying nice things online about Zune?

I don't have an iPod; I use my Zaurus to do most everything an iPod can do, and when that fails I borrow my wife's 5G iPod. But, no, I would probably never buy a Zune or any Microsoft portable. I avoided PocketPC and I steer clear of anything MS when I can (they already have enough customers). It's just that I think the Zune has a temporary advantage over the iPod in terms of its larger screen, and I try to be fair and give credit where credit's due.

feelthefire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2006
Zune is just another MS rip-off of someone else's hard work.

What, like the iPod interface Apple ripped from Creative?

Or how about when Apple "borrowed" some ideas for the Lisa OS from Xerox in 1983?

There's not only one guilty party in that game...

mannix87

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2005
in the southeast
I honestly thought Microsoft would do a lot better with their first generation of Zunes... I'm totally unimpressed. Having said that, I am sure it will be the second-biggest selling MP3 player within a couple of years at most.

I still get the feeling it's all a bit half-baked (maybe intentionally so they can have progressively 'better' models each time they update them), like there was a meeting that went something like the following (meant to be light-hearted, not flaming!):

MSFT PERSON 1: "iTunes iZunes, how we gonna beat Apple?"
MSFT PERSON 2: "wait, what did you say, 'Zune'? I like that"
MSFT PERSON 1: "what? Um.. oh, yeah, right, Zune, I think it has just the right amount of 'strangeness' to it, like iPod did!!"
MSFT PERSON 2: "But what shall we do about the design..."
MSFT PERSON 1: "Well, the screen should be bigger."
MSFT PERSON 2: "You mean a higher resolution? Interesting..."
MSFT PERSON 1: "Oh no, no need for that, just make it actually bigger. Most people won't know the difference."
MSFT PERSON 2: "I like your thinking. What about colours? Apple have used a lot of them already, we don't want to seem like we are copying them...."

*they stare at each other for a moment.*

MSFT PERSON 1&2: "BWAHaahahahaaaahhaa... "
MSFT PERSON 1: "Black and White then?"
MSFT PERSON 2: "Yeah, and why not some other colour that Apple hasn't used?"
MSFT PERSON 1: [Jokingly]"What, like ... Brown?!"
MSFT PERSON 2: "Heheh... yeah, that'd keep the advertising boys on their toes!"
MSFT PERSON 1: "You know we still haven't actually come up with anything really different that we can point to as making it better than the iPod yet"
MSFT PERSON 2: "Oh, you know the drill, we'll google some buzzwords on the odd windows forum here and there and crowbar the first couple of entries into the mix to make it sound fantastic. *taps keyboard* ... Wireless eh?"
MSFT PERSON 1: "Won't that kill the battery life and lead to Digital Rights issues?"
MSFT PERSON 2: "Oh, no it's ok, we're going to cripple all our files even more than Apple do, the wireless thing is just a gimmick, obviously. No-one will even use it except tech reviewers and online nerds".
MSFT PERSON 1: "Great. So we're done, I'll pass the plans on to all 5 marketing departments and then they can pass on the details to that guy in the basement that gets the stuff ordered when it's ready! Cool!"

freakin' hilarious! :D :)

technocoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2002
Raleigh, NC
What, like the iPod interface Apple ripped from Creative?

Or how about when Apple "borrowed" some ideas for the Lisa OS from Xerox in 1983?

There's not only one guilty party in that game...

first of all the "interface Apple ripped from Creative" was another classic example of patent mining/squatting. the interface had never been implemented in a widely successful way by creative in a commercial product. it's what has become a classic instance of a company winning a vague ass patent and then springing it when it's most profitable or can save their ass. anyone who reads the info on that patent case and thinks that creative deserved to win that patent needs to go hang out with the lobbyists and crooked politicians.

The xerox argument is old. seriously. and there is a big difference between ripping off and being influenced. of course, we could argue that one till the cows come home.

I really don't care about the Zune. It does nothing anymore innovative than any of the other "iPod Killers". It's also difficult to drastically improve on what apple has done with the iPod within current industry tech and consumer interest.

It looks bulky, and the wireless trick is REALLY useful. The physical interface looks clunky.

The bigger screen would be nice, but I'll wait until january and see what apple has up their sleeve now. I imagine it will negate the bigger screen positive of the zune.

It doesn't work with my mac (and seeing as how this is a mac-centric message board, the Zune most likely won't be welcomed with open arms here), it only supports some wack-yet-again-new-DRM-scheme from microsoft.

I like things that look good. I'm a designer, but beyond that, all people like things that feel and look nice. It's there in all humans innately. There have been many studies into humans and the way we are all drawn to certain universal proportions, colors, etc. The zune doesn't do that for me.

The iPod just seems to get that, combined with interface, ergonomics and just the right combination of features perfect for the current time.

As media and the way it's distributed continues to change and create new demands, hopefully Apple adapts the iPod with it. I see no reason they couldn't stay on top.

just my opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.