iPad I R confused

Discussion in 'iPad' started by APPLENEWBIE, Feb 3, 2014.

1. APPLENEWBIE macrumors 6502a

It is my understanding that all iPads come "unlocked" regarding cellular systems. Also, I hear that LTE iPads can accept any LTE sim, per FTC rules. So what is the difference between an ATT iPad and a T-mobile iPad for instance, other than having an ATT sim pre-installed by Apple? If I buy a new "ATT" iPad from apple, is there anything to stop me from changing the sim to another carrier when it arrives at my door? Thanks

2. JackieInCo macrumors 601

There is no difference. I have used my AT&T iPad with T-Mobile and Verizon.

3. APPLENEWBIE thread starter macrumors 6502a

!!

Grazie!

4. daddyd302 macrumors member

daddyd302

When I bought my Ipad mini retina from Apple, I bought the Verizon version. They also gave me a T-Mobile sim card as well because I wanted to get the free 200M data. I have phone service with T-Mobile. I just added it to my account.

I am currently with AT&T because of the $100 credit they're offering with my mini retina, and I'm staying with them until I use up the credits, then switching to their pre-paid. I did get hit with the $36 activation fee so it's really only $64 so about 2 months free service. :D

I might try Verizon sometime in the future, and maybe Sprint as well just for the hell of it. Here's another thread about it.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1665530