I ran a little experiment...........

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by deniser, Feb 20, 2008.

1. deniser macrumors 6502

deniser

My 14 year old son loves to play Halo. The problem is he prefers to play on my white 2.2 MacBook on the 20" ACDas it is faster than his windoze laptop. He does complain of lag on the MB. The white MacBook is 2.2 with 320gb WD HDD and 4gb ram.

Today my refurb MBP 2.4 with nvidia 256mb graphics card, 2gb ram and 160gb HDD came today (love it).

So..................today I hooked the MBP up to the ACD and said "go play". He looked at me gobsmacked as I usually nag him to come off it !!!

He did not notice the MBP and said he noticed no difference in performance whilst playing the game :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I was not expecting that !!!!

2. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

I'm sorry, I don't quite get it. He sees a lag on his windows laptop, but not on the MB or MBP?

BTW: congrats on the new testes toaster. ;)

3. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Well when I run halo on my imac g5 i also get lag, I'm assuming he is playing the mp portion of the game and I usually get lag there mostly because the servers people host are not the greatest. So maybe ask him to test the single player on both computers to see if there is a difference.

ChrisN

4. deniser thread starter macrumors 6502

deniser

No he sees lag on the MB.

I don't have testes hehehehe :D

5. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Well test the singleplayer portions of the game on both computers side by side and see if there is a difference.
    Also, I also play cod and if you type something into the games console it will tell you your frames per second so try to find one of those commands for halo and see the frame per seconds.

ChrisN

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Did you install the UNIVERSAL update?

What is your internet speed?

Is the computer playing the game connected via wireless (susceptible to interference) or through ethernet?

7. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Oh, so you'd expect him to notice the difference with the new thigh toaster (i'm tryin' :) ), but he doesn't. Seems the increased RAM on the MB is the difference.
    Besides, it's a pretty subjective test. Not like you gave him a tofu burger in disguise, is it?

8. deniser thread starter macrumors 6502

deniser

Aww don't be mean. I know it is subjective. It was done on the spur of the moment. Wish I hadn't started this.

Yes he is playing over a wireless connection (tbh not thought of that):p

9. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Oops, Sorry! I wasn't trying to be mean. Please don't let knuckleheads like myself dampen you spontaneity :(.

Another thought is whether the screen resolution difference plays against the MBP, as I'd imagine the game is either 1. not displaying the native resolution, or 2. running at a higher resolution than the MB.

10. Freyqq macrumors 68040

well its kinda an old game...maybe both can handle it at 30 fps so its not really an issue. The MBP is a much faster comp btw for more current games.

11. Anderson3133 macrumors regular

Ok congratulations on the portable incubator.... lmao

12. deniser thread starter macrumors 6502

deniser

Ok thanks, no worries. Basically I thought the MBP would run the game better for him having a dedicated graphics card. He is not a hard core gamer just likes to play for enjoyment.

I must admit the MBP case on the left side where you rest your wrist to type gets very hot. This is something I have not experienced in the MB.

Love the idea it is an incubator but don't you think its a bit to hot to incubate roflmao here:D

13. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I have NO idea what people are referring to in terms of heat! I can play a 720p video whilst Handbraking a movie without any discomfort?!

14. tremendous macrumors 6502

tremendous

you should definitely get into science and stuff because this is a killer experiment.