Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OrangeCuse44

macrumors 65832
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
Recently ive had some dissapearing application icons so i ran disk utility and verified my hard drive. when it finished it returned this:

Verifying volume “Macintosh HD”
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Checking multi-linked files.
Checking Catalog hierarchy.
%)
Checking Extended Attributes file.
Checking volume bitmap.
Volume Bit Map needs minor repair
Checking volume information.
Invalid volume free block count
Invalid volume free block count
uld be %@ instead of %@)",2)
The volume Macintosh HD needs to be repaired.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked
Volume needs repair

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
You ran disk utility while Tiger was booted off the HD, right? This is not a big deal. You just cannot fix it while the drive is mounted read/write. You have three options:

1) Put in a system restore DVD and boot off it (e.g. sys prefs -> startup disk -> select the DVD -> hit the restart button in the window). Then when it boots up, instead of following the prompts to install OS X, in the menus, you can launch Disk Utility, and then you can repair the disk and then reboot off the main HD.

2) Boot in safe mode (turn the computer off; press and hold shift immediately after pressing the power button, until the Apple logo shows up on the screen); it will repair the disk during boot. You can verify it when the system finishes booting. Then, assuming it passes, just reboot normally.

3) You can hold apple-s during boot, which goes to the text-based single user mode, and then type "/sbin/fsck -fy" at the prompt (you'll get a reminder of this command on the screen), which does the same thing. When you get the message that it succeeded, you can type "shutdown -r now"

In (1) and (3), you'll see text similar to what you posted. It should end in saying that it repaired the disk and that it verified successfully. It'll be pretty obvious.

OrangeCuse44

macrumors 65832
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
Option #1 worked like a charm, thanks! Gotta say, that was my first problem since joining the good guys and it was so easy so to solve. If i was still on my Dell im sure my motherboard would have caught fire or something.

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
i knooooooooo same here man that same thing was the only thing that has ever happened to my mac, and i ve had it for over 6 months using it heavily every single day(by heavily i mean a lot not crazy amounts of work lol).... and that was it sooooooo easy to fix i could not believe it....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.