I read something troubling about the new iOS update....

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by a-m-k, May 17, 2016.

1. a-m-k macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

Since I did read something about the iOS update possibly "bricking" iPhones, I'm skipping this update. As you all know, I have a new iPhone. I have had it less than a half a year. Not the point.... My question, since I have read about the whole bricking of iPhones if the newest update was downloaded to it, I want to skip it and wait to update the next iOS. Will it show up? Or since I am skipping the latest iOS, will it still be present, or is there someway, I can force the update it to go away?

2. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I believe the issue was with iPads. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

3. Superrjamz54 macrumors regular

Superrjamz54

I believe the problem is with some of the 9.7 inch iPad pros, but not every one. I am running it without any issues so far on my iPad Pro.

4. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

But not phones? The OP seems concerned about an iPhone. I don't own an iPad but remembered reading about it being an iPad issue.

5. Superrjamz54 macrumors regular

Superrjamz54

Haven't heard of any issues with iPhones for the update.

6. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

As stated above, it's the iPad Pro 9.7 that is having this issue. I installed 9.3.2 on my new iPad pro 9.7 and went just fine without a hitch. It is perfectly safe to install the latest OS. If you are that concerned, make a back up first before you update.

7. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Two days with the new update and my iPhone 6s, no issues.

8. I7guy macrumors G5

When you update, there is always the chance that something will go wrong. Having said that, my motto is: "full speed ahead, damn the torpedoed". Or if you didn't get the allegory, as soon as an update is waiting, I download and install. Phone has never been bricked.

9. RedOrchestra Suspended

There is absolutely nothing in the 9.3.1 or 9.3.2 that's a must - if the update gets pushed to your phone go here

Settings > General > Storage & iCloud Usage > Manage Storage > iOS update (I think that's what it reads if it's on your iPhone waiting to be installed; if it is just slide it to delete the download)

10. psac macrumors 6502a

psac

Ideally you want to back up everything before any update. That helps reduce the risk. I've been fine with this update.

11. Rigby macrumors 601

I'd disagree with that. 9.3.2 fixed a lot of security issues, some of which are pretty serious (including one that allows malicious web pages to execute code on your phone):

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206568

I have updated and have no issues.

12. RedOrchestra Suspended

Curious, how many characters is your Passcode ID?

13. Rigby macrumors 601

10-character alphanumeric. Why?

14. joeblow7777, May 18, 2016
    Last edited: May 18, 2016

joeblow7777 macrumors 601

This is pretty much my philosophy as well. there's always a risk of problems when you're updating the OS on your device, but these updates go through months of beta testing and problems are seldom widespread, and are usually quickly fixed. We don't want our devices bricked, but believe me, neither does Apple!

Anyway, with regards to problems with this particular update, what I've heard suggests that it only affects some 9.7" iPad Pro units. I haven't heard about issues with any iPhones or any other iPads.

15. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

I am installing it now, so I can update my Apple Watch.

16. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

I updated two iPhone 6s+ and iPad Air 2. Everything works great as always. I never had an issue with any update. I do restart phone, then save to iCloud before I update. That way everything is fresh.
    --- Post Merged, May 18, 2016 ---
    Yes the security updates alone are critical aspect on updating to latest versions.

If there had been issues the web would light up within hours. I have never had any issues with updates since my first iPhone 3GS. I usually wait 12-24 hours and if no issues arise I update.

17. a-m-k thread starter macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

There was a post about something about, what I assume was, my MBP. I am not sure if any of you here knew about my MBP issues I have had. I am not entirely sure they're fixed. I've been running CleanMyMac3 everyday since I got my MBP working again. (Space is cleaned up every time I run it.) I am not even sure how I got it to work. Ironically, when I plugged in my old iPhone into the charging port on my current MBP, it died (my current MBP, which I am using to type this right now)and wouldn't charge. It hasn't been a month since I have it back up. I don't want to take my chances of turning my MBP and iPhone into bricks.

18. Analog Kid macrumors 601

Analog Kid

19. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

20. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Oh YOU'RE the one with a new phone! :rolleyes:

21. imanidiot Suspended

I'll never forget where I was when I learned that you got a new iPhone. It was magical!

22. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Had someone IRL exclaim that the latest update was bricking iPhones. Love it how quick people are to jump on this - like a wildfire. No, just iPad Pros, and not even all of them. I have a friend with a 4s who still has iOS 6 - it is possible to just ignore the update.

23. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

That is what I heard as well. I have iOS 9.3.2 installed on my 6 and I haven't had any issues. I have yet to update my Mini 2 though.

24. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Please link to what you've read.

25. Beenblacklisted macrumors 6502

Beenblacklisted

you beat me to it..