I realize the horse is dead, but Matte vs Glossy

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Kalaheo, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Kalaheo macrumors member

Ok, first of all I think I've read every opinion out there. I feel I've reached the end of the internet. So, what I have noted in my research on the matte vs glossy debate is that most people love what they ended up getting. I have also noticed that quite a few people regretted getting glossy. There are also people who will fight to the death that say matte is the only way. Now here's the reason for me continuing to beat the horse. I haven't seen one person say they got the matte and regretted it. Not one! This makes me lean toward the matte. Just so you know I am an amateur photographer, and have decent control over my lighting situations. And, unfortunately I live on the small island of Kauai (ok not so unfortunate), and there is no Apple store here to compare the two.

So, are you out there, people who regret getting matte?

2. suburbia macrumors 6502

The horse is not only dead-- he's reincarnated already, again and again ;)

People are always sensitive about this issue, so personal opinions aside, take practical needs into consideration. I would never purchase glossy because for my work, I need the colors I see on my display to match as closely as possible to what will be printed. It's a practical reason for me to choose matte.

I think you should go for matte as well.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

So, you've read every opinion out there (including the 36,458 on this site alone) and still felt the need to re-start this inane debate? What is it with Mac owners/potential owners that renders them incapable of making a decision?

/rant

4. Kalaheo thread starter macrumors member

Take it easy. I just have no opportunity to view the screen myself, and am a little apprehensive about dropping over 2k on a product I haven't seen, and can't see without flying somewhere. I have seen the glossy screens, and I know what to expect. Like I said, I'm specifically looking for anyone who regrets their matte decision. I'm not trying to "re-start this inane debate."

5. Bojingle macrumors newbie

I only regret getting matte in that I think glossy looks pretty slick. But I wasn't about to stand in the Apple Store for a good few hours to see if I got a pounding headache from staring at the glossy screen. I also didn't want to come home and discover that I regretted basically buying a mirror. Soo I just got a matte 17". I love it c:

...And that really wasn't useful to you at all. I'm sorry.

6. craig1410 macrumors 65816

craig1410

Hi,

I've used plenty of matte displays over the years and am currently typing this on a matte iBook G4. However, I currently use an iMac (Aug 07) machine with a glossy display at home and a Toshiba laptop with glossy screen at work.

When I was looking to buy my iMac just a few days after they were released (this was the new Aluminium iMac which many of us had been waiting on) I was very disappointed to see that it was only available with a glossy screen. I felt very strongly at the time that glossy was bad as I had just been given my Toshiba laptop at work and hated it. I have a background as a process engineer in an LCD repair factory and know a thing or two about front of screen testing of LCD's and I just hated the whole idea of glossy displays.

However, I was fortunate to be able to go to a local Apple store and view the iMac before buying and even though I "expected" to hate it, I actually loved it so much I bought one there and then! The comparison with my Toshiba work laptop was so stark that I realised it had nothing to do with glossy versus matte - it was just good screen versus bad!

On the iMac the colours are stunning and provided you use a colour calibration device to match your screen to printer/scanner etc then I don't see why it can't be accurate enough for amateur photography work, or even professional work (although I would tend to go for a professional display for professional work).

I'm not sure which machine you are thinking of buying but if it is an iMac then I'd say go for it. If it is a laptop then I suspect you will not be disappointed whichever you choose. Worst case - you choose a glossy and don't like it. Just exchange it for a matte machine an pay any handling charge (10% is it?). Apple might even waive this under the circumstances. As long as you can set up your workplace to avoid bright lights immediately behind you then I'd say give glossy a chance. Ultimately you need to follow your heart/head.

Good luck!
    Craig.

7. Kalaheo thread starter macrumors member

Just wanna say thanks. I chose glossy after seeing a friend's 17" glossy. (still haven't seen matte!)