I Really cannot decide which one I want D:

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by diruism, Dec 8, 2010.

1. diruism macrumors newbie

So I am a senior in highschool, and I am getting a laptop for college soon.
    I thought my parents will freak out about the prices, but apparently, they don't because my dad wanted to buy me the 13inch air.

but i really don't know what i need.

I guess I will be carrying it a lot
    I will do regular stuff like internet, word stuff, photoshop
    I don't play games

but I want it to be fast, because, well I am kinda expecting a lot from a mac because I was always stuck with a pc. the one im using right now i bought last year but it's so crappy and slow i don't wanna talk about it.

and i want it to look pretty :D

so which macbook do you recommend me??

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

The white macbook is great for those who are starting out on Macs.

3. blahbrah, Dec 8, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2010

blahbrah macrumors 6502

What do you plan on majoring in?

From what I hear from my engineering friends be sure to have a partition (and a big enough HDD or SSD) for windows if you plan on doing anything for course work from home.

edit actually this may be different since AutoCAD for mac exists

4. meowmum macrumors newbie

i had same dilema

i am a mum and so mainly just do the same things as you listed , im not a gamer although i do hope to do some study soon as a mature age uni entrant. and i own a iphone4 and ipad so i wanted to play around between the 3 but nothing too serious as im not really very technically minded.

i also just swapped from a toshiba laptop that was slow, had probs from day one and also ground to a halt so i wanted to be wowed by the macbook i choose as i was by the other apple product that converted me as i carry mine around alot , wanted it to be stylish and all the other things you listed for no more than about $1300 aud..

so when i went and spoke to the apple genius it was between the new air and the white macbook... it was a hard choice and i wondered if i made the right one until i got home...
    the air is nice but its like a ipad i think & although its smaller it has no disk drive (dvds ? cds) unless you purchase one seperate and who wants to have to carry that the times you need too.. that was the deal breaker for me because i was told basically they will fulfill my needs pretty much the same ... as long as i didnt plan on suddenly becoming a architect :eek:

so ive had my new white macbook for 1 week and its love!!:apple:
    its a great size its tiny compared to my other toshiba and fits in a neoprene sleeve so i can pop it in my handbag .. its so beautiful too use and is smart too and it also is more robust than the air ( i have kids , ur a student so u want it too last) i love the gripper bottem .. its your personal choice but my opinion and from what the genius guys told me the white mac is great value for money , has a history of being great for students and new users ( they said they hated airs until this new one) and is really versatile..
    good luck i hope i helped and u enjoy being a new mac user as much as i am :p

5. vpndev macrumors 6502

think about 13" MBP

Think about the 13" MacBook Pro too. It's heavier than the Air but does a lot more. Since this will be your primary system, you will come to appreciate the extras. I'd recommend this over the plastic one.

The Air would be the right call if you also had an iMac in the dorm

6. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

13" MacBook Pro for sure if its going to be your only machine. A MacBook air is great for those who have:

•A larger 15" or 17" MBP.
    •An iMac, Mac mini or Mac Pro.
    •A capable PC.

But as you don't have any of these (I'm assuming you never want to see your current PC again :)) then a MBP or MB would be more ideal. I think that the MBP is worth the extra money over the MB. Its really great to look at, plus it has some cool features like a backlit keyboard :D

7. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

a macbook air is pretty darn close to a MB white. the SSD makes it feel faster than a 13" pro also...

I do have a capable PC but the air is really quite capable in itself.

8. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

i would pass on a macbook and get a 13" mba

reason...

4.7lb vs 2.9lbs (might not seem like a lot,but carrying around college all day and well.......)

would also get the superdrive for extra $79...

ps: i would go to local apple store and check out the different models...you never know what might get your fancy....