I really do have a NIB original Classic, what to do?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by seadawg, Nov 9, 2014.

1. seadawg macrumors newbie

Nov 9, 2014
    Greetings, this is my first post here, and I come seeking information. I am not trying to mess with anyone! So, in cleaning out today, we found an iPod Classic (160gb), and I know it goes back to Christmas 2009. We (my husband and I) both have them, use them, love them etc. However, this is an extra - I started looking on-line for some info thinking that I would try to sell it and make a few bucks - only to find out that this is now discontinued!

This is truly an original, it is not refurbished, it still has the Apple shrink-wrap on the box with the killer day and age pic, the back of the box has the serial #, upc # part # etc, etc. In looking at ebay and others I see a multitude of prices and generations, and again, I am seeking information since I am quite Apple illiterate.

Is this worth me trying to sell it on ebay? and if so, does anyone have a suggested price? I sincerely appreciate any insights that can be genuinely offered! thanks in advance........
  2. vinny3101 macrumors member

Jul 19, 2014
    Keep it as a backup. It is the last Apple product to have a clickwheel. Might be worth a lot in the future
  3. klo6 macrumors member

Oct 14, 2014
  4. vinny3101 macrumors member

Jul 19, 2014
    Lol me too
  5. 617aircav Suspended

Jul 2, 2012

Its not worth much in my opinion.
  6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Jul 29, 2008
    The Far Horizon

My advice, too, would be to suggest that you keep it as a backup; a time might come when you may wish to 1) use it; or, 2) gift it to someone, or, 3) sell it. There will always be a (granted, limited) market for a device which can host and play a large music library.
  7. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

Feb 12, 2012
    Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
    i hope you realize that the original iPod was released in 2001...
  8. flyinmac macrumors 68040

Sep 2, 2006
    United States
    She said iPod Classic (This is the last version of the hard drive based large capacity iPods).
  9. HereBeMonsters macrumors 6502

Jul 5, 2012
    Fareham, UK
    Yeah, it is. They're commanding a premium over their new price already on eBay, and that will only go up - at least until Apple come up with a replacement.
  10. nep61 macrumors 6502

May 17, 2007
    Agreed, Especially since Apple stopped producing them. Ebay prices are quite high right now.
  11. Suture macrumors 6502a

Feb 22, 2007
    eBay it if you're not going to use it. Should get a nice price from it. I still use mine due to the storage size.
  12. myrtlebee macrumors 68020

Jul 9, 2011
    Baltimore-Washington Metro Area
    Wouldn't the battery go bad after a while of no use? It's already been 5 years . . .
  13. venomgt95 macrumors 6502

May 8, 2014
    Im wondering this same thing, but for my 3rd gen classic. its been dead for i dont know how long, and i just ordered a charger for it today. I hope things go well and it charges just fine :)
  14. Kasalic macrumors regular

Jan 20, 2011
    I have a 30GB black iPod Classic which was used heavily for the first couple of years before being wired into my car. Took it out and used it for a Halloween event (it had a 2 hour mix of songs interspersed with creepy sounds I made several years ago) and was worried the battery wouldn't last, but it ran fine for the 3 hours and was still showing around 75% battery.