I really don't get permissions in terms of file sharing...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fouraadfproa, Nov 29, 2010.

1. fouraadfproa macrumors newbie

I have an imac, and now the air, and I am trying to set up file sharing. So, ok, I make a user name and pass grant explicit read write permissions to folders, then as soon as a subfolder appears there in I can't modify it and I have to go to every file and folder within the original one where I set the sharing permissions and via get info to set permissions there too.....

Am I doing something wrong?

It can't be that complicated...

2. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Yes, you are, but only a little, so no worries...When you open Get Info originally on a folder to share it, set the permissions as you've been doing, then below that you'll see a little Gear looking icon, and I think it has a down arrow next to it...click that, and select 'Apply to all enclosed items'. This tells OS X to cascade your shared permissions to everything within that folder, new, old, whatever.

Hope it helps, and I have a little video tutorial on this subject on my site.

Best

3. JohnRocks macrumors member

Couple of reason responsible for it. A few things to note for those with mix environments. When a directory is shared the files copied to that directory are given permissions by Samba (SMB) itself (i.e. Owner is “nobody” and staff and everyone has read and write permissions). Permissions can be changed for files via terminal or by getting info on a folder in Finder. Also, for the *nix folks using Mac Ports you can install SWAT to administer Samba (SMB)

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

SMB is not involved in file sharing between 2 Macs. I have 5 Macs, all running Leopard and all share files with no issues and NONE of them have Samba or SWAT or any of that installed. It does not use SMD.

5. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Macs use AFP (Apple File Protocol) to share files / folders/ volumes, etc with each other.

SMB (Samba) is used to share mac with Winodws (Linux w/ Windows as well), but can be used as a general Sharing protocol on mixed networks.

If you have an all mac network, no need for anything extra, just setup the shares, adn AFP should announce the share in the Network area of Finder on each of the other macs on the Network.