Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thetics

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
So I want to replace it. Yeah. I know its hard, yes, I know its costly, I just wanna see if we can all pitch in and do some research together. What do you feel would be a good replacement display (also preferably matte, but not a requirement.) Anyone experienced in this?

szsiddiq

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2005
The fun thing about display replacements is that the display is the first thing that's put in the casing, and therefore is the last thing that can come out.
Are you well versed in taking apart notebooks?

szsiddiq

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2005
no but im pretty handy, and i can follow directions well ;)
If you're skilled and have A LOT of patience and the organizational skills to keep track of 20 different types of tiny screws, then game on!

I haven't taken apart a macbook, but I know the 12" Powerbook inside and out. I did a bunch of customizing (mechie.org) but lost interest and patience to put it back together. Admittedly, the customization made things MUCH more complicated, but even putting it back together the way it's supposed to go will take lots of patience. Just be sure you have the time and energy to follow through...or make friends with a Mac Genius :)

I'm not an expert, but i love tinkering as well, so i'd be happy to give any put i can.
G'luck!

nufanec

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2005
If you're skilled and have A LOT of patience and the organizational skills to keep track of 20 different types of tiny screws, then game on!

I haven't taken apart a macbook, but I know the 12" Powerbook inside and out. I did a bunch of customizing (mechie.org) but lost interest and patience to put it back together. Admittedly, the customization made things MUCH more complicated, but even putting it back together the way it's supposed to go will take lots of patience. Just be sure you have the time and energy to follow through...or make friends with a Mac Genius :)

I'm not an expert, but i love tinkering as well, so i'd be happy to give any put i can.
G'luck!

The PowerBook G4 12" is pretty much the worst machine Apple have ever made as far as disassembly or repair is concerned, with only the 14" iBook coming in a close second. The MacBook an absolute breeze in comparison. One of the nicest machines to work on in recent years.

As far as a replacement display goes, good luck finding one. The take apart isn't that bad, especially once you get past the ripping the display bezel off part. Keep you screws in order as they come out of the machine (in rows according to order removed, or as a map of where they are compared to each other) and you will do fine.

Personally, I love my MacBook's screen but naturally everyone has their own preferences/requirements.

Good luck.

szsiddiq

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2005
The PowerBook G4 12" is pretty much the worst machine Apple have ever made as far as disassembly or repair is concerned, with only the 14" iBook coming in a close second. The MacBook an absolute breeze in comparison. One of the nicest machines to work on in recent years.

As far as a replacement display goes, good luck finding one. The take apart isn't that bad, especially once you get past the ripping the display bezel off part. Keep you screws in order as they come out of the machine (in rows according to order removed, or as a map of where they are compared to each other) and you will do fine.

Personally, I love my MacBook's screen but naturally everyone has their own preferences/requirements.

Good luck.

Thanks for the correction! I'm sooooo happy to hear that. The 12" is a favorite machine, but was a real pain in the ____ to do simple things like HDD replacements in. I knew the macbooks improved on this, but I'd guess that it's still a procedure requires lots of patience.
...now I'm tempted to take mine apart!

nufanec

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2005
Thanks for the correction! I'm sooooo happy to hear that. The 12" is a favorite machine, but was a real pain in the ____ to do simple things like HDD replacements in. I knew the macbooks improved on this, but I'd guess that it's still a procedure requires lots of patience.
...now I'm tempted to take mine apart!

Tell me about it! The MBs are amazing - 3 screws for memory or hard disks, and 24 for optical drive. 12" PBs still make me cringe (had to change a DC-in board on one recently - full strip down :()

Thetics

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
okay, so lets start! Any suggestions on type of display? brand?

nufanec

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2005
I've got to be honest, I don't think you're going to have much luck here. The display panel will need to meet pretty specific requirements - 13.3", 16:10 LED backlight, compatible with Apple's LED display driver (like and inverter for CCFL backlights), compatible with the LVDS cable used in MacBooks. I've had a look round for you and I can't find ANY, other than direct replacements for that screen. If I were you I would buy a good external display for when you are at a desk, and make do with the internal display when you are on the go.

szsiddiq

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2005
I've got to be honest, I don't think you're going to have much luck here. The display panel will need to meet pretty specific requirements - 13.3", 16:10 LED backlight, compatible with Apple's LED display driver (like and inverter for CCFL backlights), compatible with the LVDS cable used in MacBooks. I've had a look round for you and I can't find ANY, other than direct replacements for that screen. If I were you I would buy a good external display for when you are at a desk, and make do with the internal display when you are on the go.

This is for a Macbook right? I didn't think Macbook's had LED displays...i thought it was only the Pro's...
Did i miss something else on my geek hiatus?

Thetics

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
yeah me too, although led would be optimal, i don't think its possible?

I honestly think your money would be better spent on just buying a new machine. Your going to have to spend $400-$500 just to get a panel, and as far as I know the only displays that will work in your machine are LCDs from other MacBooks, and even here the LCDs vary from generation to generation.

Even if you are handy the LCD is the hardest thing to replace on a MacBook, so much can go wrong and you could just end up destroying the computer. Since you computer is still working why not just sell it and use the money to buy a different machine?

Ferrari83

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2008
I also dun like my macbook LCD screen.. there nothing much we can do..:mad:

Before i bought my new macbook 2.4. i was thinking MBA just because of the LED screen.. but finally chooese MB because of higher spec since it is the only one machine.

Hope apple will release new and better 13.3" macbook with better Screen.

Macbook LCD SUCK!! but i still can live with it :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.