I really don't want my Mac asking me for a password ever again.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Apple Genius, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Apple Genius macrumors member

Like when I install new software. I click Next, then agree then it asks me for my password... Is there a hack that will completely stop this forever? Because I do this a lot.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

This is an important feature of OSX and is one reason the Mac is virus free... and only susceptible to trojans. It requires your authorization to do certain things affecting the system.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Nope. It's the small price you pay for a protected system.

4. Apple Genius thread starter macrumors member

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I would say nothing is impossible, but it would be a serious security breach
    It is your system, and you take the risk, but I for one would not want that

Good luck with your search

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

6. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

What a strange username you chose.

I don't know of any such hack and wouldn't want to. It's an unsafe way to leave your system.

7. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

You can enable the root user, and use the root login account as your main account.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1528

The root user can do anything on the system, with no authorisation needed. It's what you're looking for, but it makes you very vulnerable to attack.

8. The Man macrumors 6502

Why would anyone want to remove such an important security measure? If everybody thought that way, then surely the Mac wouldn't be such a happy platform anymore. I'm happy to be protected. The password is just a minor inconvenience for having more security and feeling safe.

9. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

I'm going to buck the trend and ask why. Why are you installing software a lot? Is it as a part of your job or something personal or not? If you're doing it over a network or on networked computers then there are easier alternatives.

10. NewSc2 macrumors 65816

Like the poster above -- how often do you do this? Did you just get your Mac? Because honestly, I do it maybe 15 times when I re-format/install a new OSX (which has happened, maybe, 6 times, ever), and from then on about once every month. It's not that big of a deal.

I mean, how often are you typing in your online banking password? Your e-mail password? Forum passwords? Not everything is auto-saved.

11. windywoo macrumors 6502a

windywoo

This is something most Mac users don't seem to understand. There are people like me who like to download little bits of freeware and install them just to see what they do. Or tweaking settings to see what they do. They like to have everything set out for them by Apple.

I still wouldn't recommend that you disable the password check though.

12. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

Setting no pasword means you can hit enter when the box appears.

Would not recommend doing this at all unless your on a system which you can afford to mess around with.

13. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Even if you have no password, you'll still get password boxes, you just don't type a password. The only way to avoid the security check at all is to log in as the root user.

14. G-Force macrumors 6502a

UAC is much, much more annoying than OS X's password dialogs. UAC comes up for the most simple tasks like renaming your harddrive. OS X does not do that as it's not needed.

THAT's the reason people hate UAC, not because it shows itself when installing software.

15. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

This is the only method I know of that removes the password box entirely. The root user has full access to all files on the machine, can install and do whatever they need to do, without any need for a password. You'll never get a password box while logged in as root.

I guess you could make root your main account, although yes -- should you computer get into the wrong hands, or should someone connect to it via a network, they may be able to access your personal files.

That's why a password is so important.

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

This is one of the important security features of OSX, so that you have to authorize any installation. If that was turned off, you'd basically have the same security of windows - nearly none. An application particularly malware could easily install itself without your knowledge and approval and do things you don't want done.