I really hope redesign iMac solves glass panel issues (dust/streaks, etc.)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by onthecouchagain, Aug 27, 2011.

1. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

I really hope a newly redesigned iMac solves the issues of a glass panel... namely, the dust getting behind the screen. And then the streaks and potential dust when trying to clean it after removing the glass panel.

It's one gross oversight in my opinion of an otherwise aesthetically beautiful product. However, it's horribly irritating seeing dust trapped behind the glass panel.

2. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Same here. I'm looking for a redesigned iMac, hopefully the end of this year or next year.

3. onthecouchagain thread starter macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Probably won't be one until 2012, is my guess.

I'm hoping it will truly be a redesign. A big step.

4. John T macrumors 68020

John T

The obvious reason why some iMacs get dust behind their screens is because they are used in dusty environments. The solution is obvious. :)

5. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

How long does it take for such problems to arise? I have been using my imac for close to 2 months now, and it still looks perfectly clean. I guess it helps that my room is fairly clean and all, but I am just wondering if this is something which will inevitably happen to all imacs, or just a small percentage for the more "unlucky ones"?. :)

6. John T macrumors 68020

John T

In the vast majority of cases these problems do not arise at all! It stands to reason that if equipment is used in dusty conditions the dust will penetrate it sooner or later. However, that's no fault of the equipment.

7. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

While I agree with you that dusty conditions should be avoided and isn't the expected operating environment, the old white iMacs were much more resistant to such issues. The design changed, and something that wasn't a problem now apparently is.

8. onthecouchagain thread starter macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

How is a dust free room possible? I'm a clean fella, and I wipe down my equipment and desk from time to time (maybe once every 2 weeks) and even when I wipe down in a shorter time span, there is a mild level of dust. Dust is a result of dead skin particles. How do you keep a dust-free environment? Wipe down everyday? Even so, dust exists...

9. 1eyedwilli3 macrumors newbie

the next logical step for the iMac is to streamline the product line up. You can expect a 2nd or 3rd quarter update to the next iMac with no visual changes. But after that it is very possible.
    Expect a 27" iMac built completely into a cinema display.
    in fact I 100% guarantee it.
    You can also expect to the the next update of time machine to also have a built in optical drive, imagine a wifi dvd burner the entire house can use.
    Apple will be pulling optical drives from everything other than the Mac pro with in the next 3 years.

10. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

I have a 3 year old mid-2008 24" iMac. I have no dust streaks or other display issues of any kind. It's kept in a standard house with 3 kids, a dog and a cat. I'm sure I have dust floating around....

11. 1eyedwilli3 macrumors newbie

if you open up every glass panel imac you will see there are gaps between the display and the computer its self. the fans are designed to suck everything in, but not EVERYTHING. The glass is also used as a heat sync as a soft. The glass warms up and pulls in heat and it dissipates. So if heat is going to the glass its going to get dusty.

12. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

I agree with you mate, there is NO WAY to keep a dust-free environment.
    I reckon if you are always doing something that causing the fan running in full speed, this might cause the problem I think? :confused:

13. class77 macrumors 6502a

class77

You know you can clean it don't you?? FWIW, I've had mine for 2 years and haven't had a dust problem
    It's Really Simple

14. G-Force macrumors 6502a

Lol, the minute you remove the glass panel and wipe it with a dusty cloth, dust will stick to the lcd and glass. You can remove some of the dust with compressed air, but it will never be as clean as it is when it leaves the factory.

I've hated the glass panel for this exact reason since the first aluminum iMacs. I'm done with the iMac's yellow, dusty and burned in screens. :)

15. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

I think the current design is ridiculous. When you got to buy a computer you should be looking forward to it. With an iMac you have the worry that the screen will be yellow and dust will be behind the screen as its very common. (Even more so if you get a BTO).

Apple seems to have some fault with most of their products though TBH. Apple has gone down hill.

Here is a quick reminder:

iMac: Yellowing and Dust
    iPad 2: Backlight bleeding and yellowing
    MacBook Pro Antiglare: Yellowing
    MacBook Pro: Overheating with too much thermal paste. Week spot near Ethernet port.
    iPhone: Antenna Problem
    MacBook Air: Shading around sides of screen
    Old MacBook(Plastic white): Cracking

I mean we pay so much for these products and they have so many problems.