Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

complexcommunic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
100033-ipad_mini_mockup.jpg

I am really looking forward to Apple announcing that 7 inch iPad some time soon.You know, this one.And that it's not just a prototype. It would be perfect for my needs if they launch it some time around christmas or the next product cycle. I need a new ipod touch, but since I most often use mine inside the house (no need for pockets) a bigger one would be even better. But the iPad is too big for holding in your hands like a game system, and the ipod touch is too small... 7 inches would be just right. A device like this would be perfect for a lot of reasons... you would have the portability and great gaming potential as a handheld of an iPod touch, with the much greater computing power and resolution of the iPad. This has win written all over it.​

I bet it's more like the iPhone 4, maybe being more compact. I would expect the retina display.

colmaclean

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Berlin
Genuine question - wouldn't iPad apps need to be retooled so that the interface is useable on a 7-inch screen? Yet another format for developers to have to handle.

Really doubt this would feature retina display. The display alone would make it cost more than the original iPad!

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I'd guess same screen res as current iPad, otherwise be a total mess.

Also as the unit will be smaller the batter will be smaller so probably the same or slightly less working time between charges as everything else apart from the backlight will be drawing the same amount of power as the current model with it's larger batteries.

complexcommunic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Genuine question - wouldn't iPad apps need to be retooled so that the interface is useable on a 7-inch screen? Yet another format for developers to have to handle.

Really doubt this would feature retina display. The display alone would make it cost more than the original iPad!

True, but if it really is a higher density display, they could pack the same resolution into a smaller package. That's why I think it will be retina: so they don't have to rework a new resolution.

colmaclean

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Berlin
True, but if it really is a higher density display, they could pack the same resolution into a smaller package. That's why I think it will be retina: so they don't have to rework a new resolution.

A 7-inch iPad with a resolution of 1024x768 would still fall way short of being a Retina Display.

EthanNixon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
New Jersey
If Apple comes out with a 7-inch tablet, it will be a good thing...

When BlackBerry announces a 7-inch tablet, it's a horrible product and business move.

I see it now, as long as it has an Apple as a logo, people will love it!

I get it.

Coukos34

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
A 7-inch iPad with a resolution of 1024x768 would still fall way short of being a Retina Display.

Exactly...Why is this so hard for people to understand around here! There will be no retina display this year on (either) iPad. Take it to the bank :apple:

Gli.Azzuri

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2010
i would love a 7 inch ipad :D
i would have brought one but one thing actually took me back and its weird... the screen! its too big..
you cant actually type or do much properly unless its on your lap.

Maurier

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2010
I think 7 1/2 inch is the sweet spot. :D

It's never going to happen. The ipad needs to be 9inch if it was 7 inch some people would just get an iphone4 or ipod. Would be a stupid move for apple to release a 7inch tablet.
Then what ? they are going to have the option of 9inch or 7 inch? Are they going to remove the 9inch tablets because some people are never satisfied with anything?
Maybe they should make a 5inch-6 inch-7 inch ipad etc..
Maybe they can make a micro ipad then a surgeon can embed it into our retina? and have a new system by wich people with ipads can telepathically comunicate with eachothers.
Maybe they can turn the ipad into a ninja weapon? When i click a button everyone in a 500 yard radius will instantly die a terrible death?

Afterall it is a magical device.

Wait ..............maybe they can make a flying ipad? so if I'm downstairs in my basement and my ipad is upstairs in my room it can fly to me. OMG!!!!
The sky is the limit here.

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
Personally I don't like the idea of a 7 inch iPad. I personally think that at that point you would run into similar issues as you get with the iPhone, text is just to small. But if it is added as an additional form factor to the existing iPad, then I have no problem with it, if it replaced the existing model, then I'd be annoyed.

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
I would like a 7" model tablet if the price is right. I'm keeping an eye on the PlayBook and hope Apple releases a 7" model along with the same size one they have now.

I see the 7" as more of an accessory vs the 9.7 as content device.

The way I see a 7" working for me is. I'm in IT on my iphone4 I can VPN, get exchange email, RDP, use a 5250 client(i5/AS400),netflix and really that's all I need when I'm away from the office but having a little bit bigger screen would be better for doing quick task but at the same time I wouldn't need one as large as the current iPod.

When I travel for work the tablet would be just for accessing a server or the i5 if I needed to make some system changes, ebook reader and watch a movie on the plane and that size is fine. I've used a portable dvd player in that size before. I don't go back to the hotel room and work so I wouldn't need my laptop/netbook or a bigger tablet screen. I go back, change clothes and go out and see the surrounding :D I'm either at a Symposium, training or helping with a national meeting. Once that's done it's me time.

A 7" would be no bigger than a small day planner to carry around and if used as an e-reader would be about the size of a paperback book. I hate reading PDF's books/manuals on my laptop screen. It just doesn't feel right. I can't explain it. I feel like I should be holding a book when I want to read.

If I was looking for something to constantly surf the web, watch movies type emails on then I would go with the larger one. I think a good deal of home users could use a larger tablet as a replacement to their desktop. I also do programing so I'm still tied to a full PC device.

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
Oh, I think we can count on a 7" iPad at some point. I think iPads will become like iPods: a whole family of products under the iPad name.

But there's no way we see one released around Christmas time. If you look at the Buyer's Guide, you'll see very few releases after October in any year, with November being a rare exception in some years, and never, ever anything in December. Basically if you want to have product in the store in time to handle the Christmas shopping season, you would have to get it announced no later than early November. A new product in December just isn't going to happen.

So don't look for a 7" iPad this year unless Apple announces it in the next 3-4 weeks (which I don't see happening). But eventually, why not? Apple keeps telling developers to make screen-independent software.

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
if apple created a 7" ipad, they would just be cannibalizing sales from themselves.

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
Oh, I think we can count on a 7" iPad at some point. I think iPads will become like iPods: a whole family of products under the iPad name.

But there's no way we see one released around Christmas time. If you look at the Buyer's Guide, you'll see very few releases after October in any year, with November being a rare exception in some years, and never, ever anything in December. Basically if you want to have product in the store in time to handle the Christmas shopping season, you would have to get it announced no later than early November. A new product in December just isn't going to happen.

So don't look for a 7" iPad this year unless Apple announces it in the next 3-4 weeks (which I don't see happening). But eventually, why not? Apple keeps telling developers to make screen-independent software.

I agree. Nothing this year. This spring i wouldn't be surprised.

Apple isn't going to let the Samsung Tab rule the 7" market, you also have other devices that are coming out in that size, RIM PlayBook, Archos has one in that size and I believe the Dell Streak is also.

Amazon Kindle already pokes fun at the size of the current iPad. A 7" tablet would be about the same form factor as the kindle with more options.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
I agree. Nothing this year. This spring i wouldn't be surprised.

Apple isn't going to let the Samsung Tab rule the 7" market, you also have other devices that are coming out in that size, RIM PlayBook, Archos has one in that size and I believe the Dell Streak is also.

Amazon Kindle already pokes fun at the size of the current iPad. A 7" tablet would be about the same form factor as the kindle with more options.

There is no "7 inch market" there is a "tablet market"...

Just like there is no "13 inch market" or "15 inch market" for portables, there is a "laptop market"...

Besides, Samsung ain't gonna rule ****, there are many other vaporous 16:9 tablet devices slated (pun intended) to come out soon, as well.

Do all the 7" wishers around here realize that Apple's version would be 4:3 like the existing iPad and not the 16:9 ridiculousness that BB and Samsung and Acer will be putting out? All of the sudden, it doesn't seem so pocketable in your oversized cargo pants, does it? :)

And while the Kindle pokes fun at the iPad glare and size, the iPad is laughing all the way to the bank. Nothing to compete with, unless you think Apple should switch to a monochrome screen and gut 95% of the iPad's functionality just to keep up with Amazon. :)

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
if apple created a 7" ipad, they would just be cannibalizing sales from themselves.

Yes, but Apple is bold enough to do just that. They had a great iPod market and then they bring out the iPod Mini. Then the Nano. Each time people said they were cannibalizing their own market -- and they were and knew it. Apple does not care.

They want to make products that fill up a marketing grid. The Good, the Better, the Best.

They want price points that speak to every customer. Just as you can now get an iPod for $49, I expect that one day there will be a low-end Apple iPad with a smaller screen that sells for, oh, $199. It's their classic approach to computers, to iPods, to iPhones.

shen

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2003
If Apple comes out with a 7-inch tablet, it will be a good thing...

When BlackBerry announces a 7-inch tablet, it's a horrible product and business move.

I see it now, as long as it has an Apple as a logo, people will love it!

I get it.

If Apple comes out with the same iPad they already have, but smaller, it will be a good thing.

When BB announces what might be vaporware that they don't even have a real demo for, just CGI, on a platform that in my experience has been crap so far and with a hardware laundry list that may or may not matter, it might be a disaster.

If they do a nice job, good for them. I don't like the Android UI, so I won't get one, but if it can compete and makes Apple and everyone else step up their game, great, but looking at what they are offering, and the rumored price, i doubt that will happen, so yes, that seems like a bad move.

If all your tiny little mind can handle is to claim that this is a "fanboi" issue, then maybe you can't think deep enough to handle the discussion. That isn't our problem. It is yours.

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
Yes, but Apple is bold enough to do just that. They had a great iPod market and then they bring out the iPod Mini. Then the Nano. Each time people said they were cannibalizing their own market -- and they were and knew it. Apple does not care.

They want to make products that fill up a marketing grid. The Good, the Better, the Best.

They want price points that speak to every customer. Just as you can now get an iPod for $49, I expect that one day there will be a low-end Apple iPad with a smaller screen that sells for, oh, $199. It's their classic approach to computers, to iPods, to iPhones.

all the ipods function differently and serve a different purpose. there will be no difference between a 7" ipad and a 9.7" ipad besides screen size. from a business perspective, if you're not going to create net new customers, then it wouldn't make sense to spend the money to produce a second product.

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
all the ipods function differently and serve a different purpose. there will be no difference between a 7" ipad and a 9.7" ipad besides screen size. from a business perspective, if you're not going to create net new customers, then it wouldn't make sense to spend the money to produce a second product.

Well, give Apple more credit than that. All iPods (originally) were music players. They still had different sizes and purposes. Some were meant for jogging or while at the gym. Others were meant for holding your entire music collection. They all served the same purpose, but their function, form and price varied.

So if Apple does create an iPad family, it won't be just to have different sizes. It will be to serve different purposes. We'll just have to see what Mr. Ive comes up with, but I'm betting with him and not against him.

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
There is no "7 inch market" there is a "tablet market"...

Just like there is no "13 inch market" or "15 inch market" for portables, there is a "laptop market"...

Besides, Samsung ain't gonna rule ****, there are many other vaporous 16:9 tablet devices slated (pun intended) to come out soon, as well.

Do all the 7" wishers around here realize that Apple's version would be 4:3 like the existing iPad and not the 16:9 ridiculousness that BB and Samsung and Acer will be putting out? All of the sudden, it doesn't seem so pocketable in your oversized cargo pants, does it? :)

And while the Kindle pokes fun at the iPad glare and size, the iPad is laughing all the way to the bank. Nothing to compete with, unless you think Apple should switch to a monochrome screen and gut 95% of the iPad's functionality just to keep up with Amazon. :)

We can word play with the market term all day. The simple fact is Apple competitors are coming out with a 7" tablet. If they price them right they are going to give the ipad a run. I fully expect to see Apple release their own version of a 7" tablet.

I don't wear cargo pants so I don't plan to carry one around in my pants. I'm looking at it from a business, IT travel point of view. A 7" would fit perfect between my iphone and laptop

I'm waiting till next year when more data is out and like any smart shopper do their research and buy according to my needs, not brand.

colmaclean

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Berlin
We can word play with the market term all day. The simple fact is Apple competitors are coming out with a 7" tablet. If they price them right they are going to give the ipad a run. I fully expect to see Apple release their own version of a 7" tablet.

Lots of laptop makers jumped on the netbook bandwagon. Apple didn't.

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
That's true but Apple probably figures that's where their iPad fits in.

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
Well, give Apple more credit than that. All iPods (originally) were music players. They still had different sizes and purposes. Some were meant for jogging or while at the gym. Others were meant for holding your entire music collection. They all served the same purpose, but their function, form and price varied.

So if Apple does create an iPad family, it won't be just to have different sizes. It will be to serve different purposes. We'll just have to see what Mr. Ive comes up with, but I'm betting with him and not against him.

so you're implying that a 7" ipad will (should) have limited functionality? if this is the case, then the market becomes even smaller.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.