Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
I'm even going to go out on a limb and say it's the best laptop I've used this year.

Pros:
Screen is great. It's bright, the colors look good, and it's a decent enough size.
It's fast. I know this should go without saying, it being an i5 with 8gb of RAM to run the internet but ... I've seen people running webpages on equal hardware that still is just slow. They've even been using Chrome on Windows 10 and it somehow is slow.
Speakers are actually great. I didn't expect that, so many laptop speakers are just meh. But these are better than the ones in the iPad Pro.
Keyboard is great.I don't know what else to really say about it. The keys feel good, they have some travel, and the spacing is good.

Cons:
It's kind of heavy as a tablet. Maybe I'm just weak, but sometimes I wish I could take off the keyboard. But that's where the insides are, and it wouldn't run. Somebody said the speakers are behind the keyboard, too, to there's that.
Bezels are a tad too big. This sounds like a weird complaint, but I'd like the bezels to be a little smaller.
Android Apps aren't always working well. These are mostly minor annoyances, like Google Play Music opening initially in portrait before moving to landscape.
SMS Connect does nothing right now.

Somebody is probably going to point out the lack of Crysis or something, but that's not really a minus for me.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
But Crysis...:p

Sounds good. I'm in the market for a media machine in the near future.
Did it cost much in the US?

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
TBH if I didn't have to have an MBP for creative purposes, I'd happily lay down a grand on a Pixelbook!

Looks great and I keep telling most people I know (non-creatives) that a Chromebook in general would suffice for their needs.

Reactions: lovelaptops

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
It is indeed a fantastic machine.

I will say though, I hate it in tablet mode.

I love having it propped up like a tent though when watching videos etc.
It's definitely a winner! :)

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
But Crysis...:p

Sounds good. I'm in the market for a media machine in the near future.
Did it cost much in the US?

Yeah, but I have it on payment plan.

It is indeed a fantastic machine.

I will say though, I hate it in tablet mode.

I love having it propped up like a tent though when watching videos etc.
It's definitely a winner! :)

Yeah, tablet mode is kind of a work in progress. Still better than Android Tablets, though.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
I'm surprised about your comment on the speakers being great. I didn't think much to them and I can't remember seeing any reviews saying they're great. Average at best seems to be the general option

I've only heard the 12.9" iPad Pro and that does sound very good, decent bass as well.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
I'm surprised about your comment on the speakers being great. I didn't think much to them and I can't remember seeing any reviews saying they're great. Average at best seems to be the general option

I've only heard the 12.9" iPad Pro and that does sound very good, decent bass as well.

Maybe I'm just bad at audio, but the Pixelbook sounds just as good AND louder than the 10.5 iPad Pro.

Reactions: sracer

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
I know I’m being difficult, but it seems to me that for the price this thing should have cellular capability. In fact, I think it should have eSIM capability like the Pixel phones.

I really like the idea of Chromebooks running Android apps. But to do it right I think they need cellular and GPS capability. Until they do that I don’t see high end Chromebooks being a viable alternative to an iPad and I don’t seeing them giving additional capability beyond a Windows laptop to justify the price.

I guess what frustrates me is that I see high end Chromebooks as having a lot of potential as being viable alternatives to iPads and as a result they increasing the utility of Android/Google ecosystem. But they still have a long way to go to get there.

Last edited:

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
I know I’m being difficult, but it seems to me that for the price this thing should have cellular capability. In fact, I think it should have eSIM capability like the Pixel phones.

I really like the idea of Chromebooks running Android apps. But to do it right I think they need cellular and GPS capability. Until they do that I don’t see high end Chromebooks being a viable alternative to an iPad and I don’t seeing them giving additional capability beyond a Windows laptop to justify the price.

I guess what frustrates me is that I see high end Chromebooks as having a lot of potential as being viable alternatives to iPads and as a result they increasing the utility of Android/Google ecosystem. But they still have a long way to go to get there.

I see what your saying, but let's be real. The Surface Pro has a cellular version of their 1k model. It adds 150$ to it. As for being a viable alternative to an iPad? This full desktop browser slams mobile Safari. Compared to Windows laptops? Not running Windows is actually a pretty big advantage to some people.

Chromebooks are alternatives. Today.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I see what your saying, but let's be real. The Surface Pro has a cellular version of their 1k model. It adds 150$ to it. As for being a viable alternative to an iPad? This full desktop browser slams mobile Safari. Compared to Windows laptops? Not running Windows is actually a pretty big advantage to some people.

Chromebooks are alternatives. Today.
They certainly have come a long way in a short time. I'm finding that a lot of the resistance to chromebooks I encounter is troll-ish in nature... dismissing chromebooks as "useless without an internet connection" and "nothing more than a web browser". But when I demonstrate what chromebooks can actually do in real-life situations, and the things that even the lowliest of chromebooks (my Acer R11 is low-end) can do that the iPad Pro can't, even the most ardent critic acknowledges the benefits of chromebooks.

Not only is the full desktop browser a great feature, but (near) full support for USB peripherals, and a fully exposed file system and file manager are very handy as well.

I although I can't justify to myself spending $1000+ for ANY laptop, the Pixelbook looks amazing and certainly worth the price.

Reactions: Michael Goff

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
They certainly have come a long way in a short time. I'm finding that a lot of the resistance to chromebooks I encounter is troll-ish in nature... dismissing chromebooks as "useless without an internet connection" and "nothing more than a web browser". But when I demonstrate what chromebooks can actually do in real-life situations, and the things that even the lowliest of chromebooks (my Acer R11 is low-end) can do that the iPad Pro can't, even the most ardent critic acknowledges the benefits of chromebooks.

Not only is the full desktop browser a great feature, but (near) full support for USB peripherals, and a fully exposed file system and file manager are very handy as well.

I although I can't justify to myself spending $1000+ for ANY laptop, the Pixelbook looks amazing and certainly worth the price.

I often find the idea that it's useless without a connection to be from somebody who either used one when they came out and never again or somebody who is caught up on the name. Yes, the OS is named after a browser. Maybe it was true initially that it wasn't so useful offline, but even then it wasn't completely useless.

I wonder how much praise this hardware would be getting from the haters if it had some other OS on it, though. I'm guessing none.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Really glad you like it! I personally think it's the most enjoyable laptop I've ever owned. The keyboard is incredible. Google absolutely nailed the hardware design. Also, the single beat feature is the fast charging.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
The Surface Pro has a cellular version of their 1k model. It adds 150$ to it. As for being a viable alternative to an iPad?

Is this now available? I have read several articles that have said this is coming soon. But I can’t find it on the Microsoft store.

This is just my US$0.02, but I think that lack of cellular connectivity is holding both the higher end Chromebook market and the Tablet PC market back and allowing Apple to dominate in this area.

I still see tablets as being consumption devices. But with each generation of iPad Apple chips away at this notion.

Both Chrome and Windows operating systems have the advantage of a mouse or trackpad interface. I think they need to capitalize on that before they lose it.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Weirdly enough,I can't find anything more than price.

Also, do iPads really dominate against tablet PC?

lovelaptops

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2010

I've had my PB for 28 days (2 days left to return - don't believe I will!) and I agree with what you say but the deficits are not enough reason not to get this pure pleasure of a device provided it meets the majority of your needs, or at least of the needs for which you intend to use it. Why there is no GPS in this I have no earthly idea because it would not add significant cost nor take up valuable space. As for the eSIM, it likewise baffles me why this isn't a standard option on all notebooks and tablets costing over $750. But using phone as hotspot is a very workable alternative in absence of the LTE built in.

For me - and a sizable chunk of the market for iPads and ultrabooks - there just isn't a substitute device at its - admittedly lofty - price point that does all that the PB does and feels and looks so great doing it. It's fast, light, has an excellent keyboard, touchpad and screen and it meets my needs over 80% of the time and that number is growing as I discover Android apps and web-based solutions I never had a reason before to seek out. Some compromises, yes, but none that unseat this gem of design, craftsmanship and performance as the single device I grab for not only far more than my MBP but, increasingly, as a preferred alternative to my iPhone (yes, size matters, as does a keyboard, especially when it's a great one. It's true that a $550 Samsung Chromebook Pro will suffice for everything my PB is great at (plus, it's pen is better - Wacom EMR, for fellow enthusiasts) but the overall device quality, the vastly superior keyboard (the CBP's has some tiny keys and it's not backlit) and the extra RAM (8GB vs 4GB) and built in storage (128GB SATA SSD vs. 32 or 64 emmc for $50 more, plus the cost of a micro SD card to even out the amount of storage) all bring the value proposition to the Pixelbook - if it cost $700! How to justify the additional $300? The fact is, I can't. But two things still make it worth it for me; 1) my true cost for the PB is only around $700 - It was on sale at Amazon pre-Xmas for $800 and they were running two promotions - $62 off Neflix (even if you had a subscription running) and $40 worth of free Google Drive storage, which I was and still am getting, so that's money in the pocket); 2) even if I had to pay the full $999 it would still be "worth it" to me and I would likely still be planning on letting that 30 day mark come and go with the Pixelbook in by bag; why? Well a clue can be found in my screen name on this and many similar forums and more generally because it's a luxury I can afford and it is just such a joy to see, touch and use that it's a place I choose to allocate my [increasingly smaller] "splurge" budget. It's just such a fine piece of craftsmanship and a joy to use, kind of like my first MBA was.
[doublepost=1517286980][/doublepost]
I often find the idea that it's useless without a connection to be from somebody who either used one when they came out and never again or somebody who is caught up on the name. Yes, the OS is named after a browser. Maybe it was true initially that it wasn't so useful offline, but even then it wasn't completely useless.

I wonder how much praise this hardware would be getting from the haters if it had some other OS on it, though. I'm guessing none.
That's a really good question. In fact, what amazes me is how strong a product offering this would be if it had full blown Windows and the relatively small amount of additional hardware to make it as a fully functional ultrabook. I think it would be counter-strategy for Google to make a dual booting - or dual bottable - piece of kit out of the PB but if it cost, say, $200 more I think this would be a pretty awesome and very competitive premium ultrabook for $1,400 (assuming a bump to the 256GB SSD). The haters would still hate it if it was branded Google, but if it was made by any other Windows OEM or a new entrant the design and execution would, IMO, be compelling to a sizable portion of the audience for the premium ultrabook segment. My hunch: even with Chrome OS and even with Google branding, and even at this price point, I think this may turn out to be a bigger success as a product in its own right and not just as a "halo" device Google put out to inspire OEMs to make the effort to create a "premium Chromebook" market segment. I've read that Samsung is already at work making a more premium device than its Chromebook Pro - with different branding - and I think that this could well follow the path that the Surface did: a successful halo product that spawned a whole new product segment (have you checked out the Surface "clone" product offerings lately?) but also a surprisingly high volume sales for a very pricey halo that people are paying 25% - 35% more with fewer features (have you checked out the Surface Pro and Surface Book 2 port counts and types lately?!!)

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Weirdly enough,I can't find anything more than price.

Also, do iPads really dominate against tablet PC?

I believe iPads far outsell the entire tablet PC market. Apple sells more iPads than Macs and taking into account a few other factors, namely that Apple is 4th in worldwide PC market share, ahead of both Asus and Microsoft, the OEMs who likely sell more ‘tablet’ PCs than anyone else, I don’t think the number of Windows tablets comes close to iPad units.

This is of course anecdotal but out in the real world, the only Windows tablets I ever encounter are Surface Pros and those are still pretty few and far between—far, far less than the number of iPads I see in the wild.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
I believe iPads far outsell the entire tablet PC market. Apple sells more iPads than Macs and taking into account a few other factors, namely that Apple is 4th in worldwide PC market share, ahead of both Asus and Microsoft, the OEMs who likely sell more ‘tablet’ PCs than anyone else, I don’t think the number of Windows tablets comes close to iPad units.

This is of course anecdotal but out in the real world, the only Windows tablets I ever encounter are Surface Pros and those are still pretty few and far between—far, far less than the number of iPads I see in the wild.

I'd like some numbers here. I can't find anything that even says iPad dominates the tablet market. Everything I find says they have more than any single company, but still vastly outsold overall.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Umm, having owned this thing a month now, I just now discovered you could put Night Light on a schedule. It's kinda hidden away in the settings but I feel dumb.

Reactions: Michael Goff

pdauser92

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2011
London, UK
Is this now available? I have read several articles that have said this is coming soon. But I can’t find it on the Microsoft store.

This is just my US$0.02, but I think that lack of cellular connectivity is holding both the higher end Chromebook market and the Tablet PC market back and allowing Apple to dominate in this area.

I still see tablets as being consumption devices. But with each generation of iPad Apple chips away at this notion.

Both Chrome and Windows operating systems have the advantage of a mouse or trackpad interface. I think they need to capitalize on that before they lose it.

I recently bought a Surface Pro 256GB LTE model from the UK store. Search for "Commercial Surface Pro with LTE Advanced". I believe it's been available to purchase by individuals (i.e. myself) for a week or so.

Last edited:

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
I'm even going to go out on a limb and say it's the best laptop I've used this year.

Pros:
Screen is great. It's bright, the colors look good, and it's a decent enough size.
It's fast. I know this should go without saying, it being an i5 with 8gb of RAM to run the internet but ... I've seen people running webpages on equal hardware that still is just slow. They've even been using Chrome on Windows 10 and it somehow is slow.
Speakers are actually great. I didn't expect that, so many laptop speakers are just meh. But these are better than the ones in the iPad Pro.
Keyboard is great.I don't know what else to really say about it. The keys feel good, they have some travel, and the spacing is good.

Cons:
It's kind of heavy as a tablet. Maybe I'm just weak, but sometimes I wish I could take off the keyboard. But that's where the insides are, and it wouldn't run. Somebody said the speakers are behind the keyboard, too, to there's that.
Bezels are a tad too big. This sounds like a weird complaint, but I'd like the bezels to be a little smaller.
Android Apps aren't always working well. These are mostly minor annoyances, like Google Play Music opening initially in portrait before moving to landscape.
SMS Connect does nothing right now.

Somebody is probably going to point out the lack of Crysis or something, but that's not really a minus for me.

Hmm had the pixelbook and returned it for the latest version of the acer chromebook 15 (its fast too and has better speakers, microsd card support, 2 usb 3.0 slots, 2 usb-c slots and a better lighted keyboard)...cannot tell a speed difference in the browsers between both and I have owned several other chromebooks in the past as well....and I'm not having issues with running many tabs and android apps at the same time so i'm glad I returned the pixelbook. It was a waste of $1000 dollars surely.

There still isn't a perfect 2 in 1 chromebook out there with the right screen resolution and weight to make a perfect tablet. My compromise is my lenovo yoga book which is just right with a UI similar to the chromebook yet its android.

P.S. the android app of Google Music always opens in Landscape on the Acer Chromebook 15....with the option to minimize to that smaller windowed box if you please....not all chrome os software is equal even if you think it is...their are little kinks on different systems yet Acer has the most experience in chromebook hardware and knows when to send the correct software updates to their systems for optimal performance. Updates for chrome os are pushed at similar time frames but different devices get updates at different times especially the newer devices. Stylus support, touchscreen support, android app support, google assistant, and bluetooth optimizations are also causing the updates to become slightly fragmented to fix the various issues that arise. Still Chrome OS is the most updated desktop OS out there besides Windows 10 in my opinion and will be the future of both mobile and desktop OS's.

Chrome OS is not ready to be $1000 just yet.....

Last edited:

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
My Chromebook Pixel died over Christmas so I intended to get a Pixelbook but then after really thinking about what I use my portables for I decided to get an iPad since Pixel C’s are still almost $600 used and this is $329 new with warranty.

Reactions: SigEp265

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Trying to figure out why Netflix can't do HDR on this device.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.