I really love Craigslist, really.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by W8tin4iphone4, Aug 7, 2010.

1. W8tin4iphone4 macrumors newbie

As if charging people to jailbreak is not enough...

So this guy hates iPhones but don't mind iPod touches and iPads so naturally I assume he hates anything that's a phone. I bet Alexander Bell had an affair with his great-great-great-GILF.

2. Brich10 macrumors newbie

How ridiculous hahaha. Anybody willing to pay for a jailbreak is friggin stupid haha.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

while it's funny, I do know of those that do personally

4. joetwizzy macrumors member

I personally think if somebody is not technologically minded enough to jailbreak their device themselves then charging for your time is acceptable.

5. j3yq macrumors 6502

j3yq

I alway post on how to do it themselves for free right after these post.

6. crazycanucks macrumors regular

If you have to pay to Jailbreak, do you even know why you need the JB in the firstplace? Or has it become the fashionable thing to do now all that you need to do is to swipe your finger across the screen.

Why do people not research things before they say I have to have it because everyone else is? Do people fully understand what a JB really is?

7. x.leviathan macrumors newbie

I'm convinced 7/10 people who JB their device don't know exactly what JB'ing an iDevice does. Seriously. It's kinda odd.

8. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

I sort of agree. They may have a concept of what they are doing, but don't understand what they are doing. Which is why so many mess up their phones so quickly after jailbreaking.

9. MajesticNJ macrumors regular

MajesticNJ

There is so much more to jailbreaking than the actual act itself. People tend to want to have things handed to them on a platter these days. It takes time to explain all of the pros and cons and the security and stability risks. An educated customer is the best one to work with.

While I admit that I have not charged for assistance before, I have spent many hours helping friends who weren't sure and wanted to know if they should or shouldn't.

There's also installing the apps, making them all play nice with each other, explaining how to download themes and use them, making changes to the apps, installing plugins, and so much more.

I can definitely see charging a stranger but not just to do the jailbreak itself but more as a consultant.

10. Brich10 macrumors newbie

I take it back.... I guess they're not stupid... I just think it is funny for someone to pay for the actual jailbreak. It would make more sense to pay them to explain what is actualy going on and how it works and what not

11. crazycanucks macrumors regular

So if they dont understand what the JB does, then why do they want it so bad, even to the point of paying someone 20-30 bucks to do it for them.

12. MajesticNJ macrumors regular

MajesticNJ

The guy in the ad is in it for a quick buck and for all of the wrong reasons. He's going to leave someone with a phone that makes no sense to the user anymore and in the end there will be another person against jailbreaking.

Getting free apps is the WRONG reason to jailbreak. That's just my opinion of course but I'm sure many will agree.

13. Kayan macrumors 6502

Could someone explain to me the difference between JBing an iPhone vs. iPod/iPad? Last time I checked, and I have all three devices, it was the same. So why the preference? He's incompetent.

14. Kevio macrumors regular

I get about 5 customers a week. It's a good little side job.

15. miki66 macrumors 6502

miki66

a few of my friends don't really know these computer tricks. they're just not that kind of people. (i used to be one of them thou:))

16. W8tin4iphone4 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's why I started the thread because it made no sense to me too. I know people who despise all Apple products and that's fine, though this guy just hates iPhones but don't mind the iPod/iPad when they all have the same OS and share most functions.

17. Kayan macrumors 6502

Seriously...here's some math for this guy:
    iPhone - Phone Antenna = iTouch...iTouch + bigger screen = iPad
    Everything else is same.
    Maybe he thought the equation was more complicated like the following:
    iPad + Keyboard + hinge + different OS + more RAM + ports = Macbooks

18. Olivia23 macrumors 6502a

Olivia23

I don't understand why someone would pay for another person to jailbreak their phone. Obviously if they do, then they have no clue what to do with it after, and what to do if something goes wrong.

I mean if they don't know enough to find the website to learn how simple it is, then they won't know all the benefits and Cydia apps to download and tweak to make their phone run better.

19. bella92108 macrumors 68000

It's actually really common outside the US. In the US, copyright and jail breaking and piracy is strictly enforced in public. Yet in countries like Thailand, Philippines, Indonesia, China, Hong Kong, Malaysia, etc... you go to the electronics markets and they literally have HUNDREDS of stalls where they jailbreak and unlock it for you for generally what's equivalent to a US Dollar.. in the US you don't see that because they'd be shut down quick.

It's quite nice actually, you just drop off your phone (or you can wait), and grab a little Pad Thai or whatever choice is, grab a case and charger for $1, and when you come back your phone is jailbroken, screen cleaned, and all the apps you want are all installed. :)

I'm all for doing things myself, but when I'm in the Philippines and I can have someone cut my finger and toe nails, and give me a hand and foot massage all for $2, I'm more than happy to let them do it :)

But yeah, in the US I agree, paying those ridiculous jailbreak fee people is nuts... but if someone wants an iphone on T-Mobile and they just want the iphone to work on t-mobile, it gets them an unlocked phone, right? Just because it doesn't have value to you doesn't mean $25 isn't worth it for someone else in that situation. Remember, things are on Craigslist because someone buys them... I personally wouldn't, but hey, America is a capitalist society, so it comes with the territory :)

20. bella92108 macrumors 68000

Keep in mind there are some that jailbreak for the sole purpose of unlocking the phone. :)

21. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Let's not forget that many people Jailbreak their phones to get more money when they sell them on Ebay or Craigslist. In a roundabout way, this is the same as charging someone to Jailbreak their phone.

In other words, a Jailbroken phone is worth more on the open market then a non-Jailbroken phone.

22. XCoNEPSILON macrumors member

XCoNEPSILON

+1

23. mustnotsleep macrumors 6502

i agree, ignorance is expensive.

24. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

There are numerous kiosks in malls all over the US which do this, although as you say, not for $1 or $2.

25. bella92108 macrumors 68000

That and they're a bit more discrete. At podium in Bangkok they all post signs with their newest apps and there's about 250 kiosks competing :) ... Greenhills mall in Manila and electronics expo in hong kong and Beijing :) Thailand is the biggest in one place tho.