I really messed up this one. [can't restore menu bar]

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by dukefam, Dec 19, 2013.

1. dukefam macrumors newbie

So I installed Obsidian and Nocturne Theme back in the summer to modify the look of my menu bar.

Well today, I uninstalled everything I could but my menu bar icons and text are still gray.

I have been researching this for hours.

Just as I was about to delete a system preference file I decided to post here instead.

Have mercy! :( I know I shouldn't have modified my Mac but now all I want is the menu bar text and icons to restore to default.

I don't even remember when I had originally modified the menubar because I went all the way back into my Time Machine and don't know what to delete or restore.

I have been able to restore a bit but still have gray grossness. Here's a screen shot :

[​IMG]

2. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

You could re-install Mavericks then selectively restore your data from Time Machine. I would think any system change like Obsidian/Nocturne would be removed that way.

3. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

don't these apps have uninstallers/default settings files? or something? i've had obsidian menu bar for years, never an issue.

DL the installers, look for the option to uninstall/revert. or contact the developers...

4. dukefam thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes it does but every time I go to click on the uninstaller it shows me this:
    [​IMG]

:confused:

I've contacted the developer but to no avail.

5. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

Have you also tried redownloading the installer/uninstaller?

6. dukefam thread starter macrumors newbie

yes that's how I got the uninstaller. I did not keep the original dmg file. So I went to the original site and could only find an updated installer. I downloaded that and I get this error message.

I went back looking in my files and it looks like I updated to Maverick in November? So I may have installed this menu bar hack under Mountain Lion and then updated to Maverick and I can't seem to get it off my system.

I'm currently backing up everything and researching how I can reinstall Maverick.

oy vey :mad:

7. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Just reboot hold down the command button+r (before that 'bong' sound). This is Recovery Mode and erase and reload Mavericks. Upon the reboot use the same Username you used before and your iCloud login and then look in /Applications/Utilities/Migration Assistant you bring your Keychain and Application back.

8. TheBacklash macrumors 6502

TheBacklash

Looks like you still have WhiteUIServer.menu running.
    Remove that and see. Should be in your login items.

9. dukefam thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know how to thank you! I just spent the last few hours erasing and reloading like you stated above and it worked! My beautiful menu bar is back.

[​IMG]

Thank you :D

10. Wulfpac macrumors newbie

I'm having trouble with the same thing. If I try this method will it delete any of my files, music etc.? The menu bar has really been bugging me.

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes, this will erase everything on the disk and leave nothing but the OS.

12. jpeezy macrumors regular

System Prefs > Users & Groups > Login Items

Delete the entry for WhiteUIServer.menu then reboot.