Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dannofuzz

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2007
Not to further beat this horse (hard drive vs tapes storage), but the prices of large hard drives have dropped so much that it really isn't a problem cost-wise anymore. It's just so convenient to have your clips already on your computer and ready to edit (rather than searching through tapes). Also, the AVCHD quality is very good on the HG10 that you can import your footage at a lower quality (than 1080i) and not be able to tell a bit of difference. It's nice having all your footage nicely organized in folders and being able to just drag and drop them into FCP or iMovie. The other nice thing about the HG10 is if you shoot a scene and you know it just isn't going to be used, you can delete it quickly and move on, rather then rewind and tape over.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Not to further beat this horse (hard drive vs tapes storage), but the prices of large hard drives have dropped so much that it really isn't a problem cost-wise anymore. It's just so convenient to have your clips already on your computer and ready to edit (rather than searching through tapes). Also, the AVCHD quality is very good on the HG10 that you can import your footage at a lower quality (than 1080i) and not be able to tell a bit of difference. It's nice having all your footage nicely organized in folders and being able to just drag and drop them into FCP or iMovie. The other nice thing about the HG10 is if you shoot a scene and you know it just isn't going to be used, you can delete it quickly and move on, rather then rewind and tape over.
Those are all good points in favor of AVCHD camcorders (flash/HDD - not DVDbased). However, with the way iMovie'08 works, you just import your HDV tapes (about an hour or so + conversion to AIC time) and all of your video clips are filed onto a HDD. Ready for use on an iMovie project.

One thing that no one has mentioned is what the OP has in terms of a Mac. AVCHD camcorders don't work with non-Intel Macs (using iMovie or FCE/P). You might need to get a converter (i.e. Voltaic) if you have a PPC Mac.

TomEdgar

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2005
The Panasonic HDC-SD1 is worth a look

The Panasonic SD1 is a very light camera (no moving parts), and has a beautiful image. The built-in 5.1 surround microphone is a gimmick, and has pretty terrible quality, but the camera has a two-channel minijack microphone input which, with a mounted shotgun mic and/or wireless lav, makes for usable audio. It's not a pro camera by any means, but it can do work above and beyond the needs of amateurs.

The camera records to SD chips. It records about 40 minutes of 1080i AVCHD footage to a 4gb chip; it's a bit like shooting to P2 cards on the HVX-200, only at a smaller scale. The thing that I find great about this, in terms of workflow and backup, is that you can use Toast to burn a DVD copy of each 4gb chip and then erase the chip for reuse. The DVD becomes your master, and you can Log and Transfer from the DVD into FCP exactly as if it were the chip itself. (The only alternative would be to import all of your footage into FCP from the chips and then backup the captured footage, but because FCP converts the AVHCD footage into much large quicktime files this is an inefficient way of backing up your footage.)

- Tom

nickweston

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2006
Hv20

Interesting...

I haven't seen any post about the HV-20's 24p capabilities...

I would HIGHLY recommend checking this feature out, it has a film-like look that is positively addictive. Very very rich and alive.
The HV-20 is the only camera in this group to feature this, and the only camera I know of for under 3k that does. Here in Hollywood, a LOT of people are using the Panasonic pro cameras in 24p.

Sony has a pseudo/mock 24p but it isn't the real thing.

Spritey

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2006
Canada/Norway/USA
I have the hv10 and couldn't be happier with it. I got the hv10 instead of the hv20 because it fits perfectly in my small girl hands.

I also really like the image stability; I can zoom in like crazy and the picture still won't be all shaky. Heard someone mention it's not the best camera for filming in darker settings, but I assume you'll use lights if it's for more pro use.

And you should do a search why choose mini dv over a hdd based camera

ziwi

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Right back where I started...
What about the HV-20's motor noise I keep reading about - is it that pronounced that it shows up on the audio? that was the only ding I keep reading about (and the build feel), but with the prices dropping on it - it is a hard one to pass up in lieu of nothing in the SSD that can compare.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
What about the HV-20's motor noise I keep reading about - is it that pronounced that it shows up on the audio? that was the only ding I keep reading about (and the build feel), but with the prices dropping on it - it is a hard one to pass up in lieu of nothing in the SSD that can compare.

The motor noise is a bit of a non-issue for the OP since he should be using an off-camera mic to record his sound.

Lethal

321estrellas

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2007
I hope this isn't a dumb question/thread hijack, but I'm looking into doing high def projects and I've been wondering...if I have a tape-based HD camera like the HV20, do I need high def miniDV tapes to film high def?

Thanks.

-DH

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2006
Nashville Tennessee
I hope this isn't a dumb question/thread hijack, but I'm looking into doing high def projects and I've been wondering...if I have a tape-based HD camera like the HV20, do I need high def miniDV tapes to film high def?

Thanks.

In all HDV camcorders you can use standard MiniDV tapes or the newer HDV tapes (same shell and tape size) which supposedly have a slightly different tape formulation.

-DH

321estrellas

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2007
In all HDV camcorders you can use standard MiniDV tapes or the newer HDV tapes (same shell and tape size) which supposedly have a slightly different tape formulation.

-DH

But you still get the high def picture when using standard miniDV tapes? What does the different tape formulation of the HDV tapes do? Any other advantages to using HDV tapes?

Sorry for all the questions but I just don't want to encounter any surprises when I get an HD camcorder. But I thank you for your responses :)

-DH

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2006
Nashville Tennessee
But you still get the high def picture when using standard miniDV tapes? What does the different tape formulation of the HDV tapes do? Any other advantages to using HDV tapes?

Sorry for all the questions but I just don't want to encounter any surprises when I get an HD camcorder. But I thank you for your responses :)

If the camera is set to record in HDV mode, then it will record HDV to either type of tape; MiniDV or HDV. If the camera is set to DV record mode, then it will record DV to either tape type.

The tape manufacturers claim the HDV has a more robust tape formulation. How much of that is true and how much is pure marketing hype (to get more of your money) is anyone's guess.

I'd suggest that you try both types to see if you can tell any difference, then go with what works best for you.

-DH

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.