I really need help guys

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dreamlife789, Jul 1, 2010.

1. dreamlife789 macrumors member

I have a lot of content in iTunes, but it is under 32 GB. I have a 32 GB external hard drive. I have never backed up my iTunes content before, and I am getting rid of this computer for a new one. I want to put all my old content on my new computer and have it look just the same on my new computer without any glitches, missing cover art, out of place movies, or anything else. I then want to be able to continue to purchase new movies and music on the new computer and have it work just fine with my old content.

What exactly do I need to do?

2. brucem91 macrumors 6502

simply copy the entire music folder from the old computer to the external. Then unactivate any iTunes accounts on that computer. Then on the new computer, you need to open iTunes before copying any files, open preferences, and turn off "Keep iTunes Media folder organized" and Copy files to iTunes media folder..." under the advanced tab. Now close iTunes. Go to your music file, and delete everything. Now copy everything on your external back into the new music folder. Once you open iTunes, it will look exactly as it did before.

3. chown33 macrumors 604

Test the music folder after it's been copied to the external HD, but before deleting anything or discarding the old computer.

You can tell iTunes to change its music folder to the external. If you like what you see, you're good. If you don't, then you know you have to fix it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1449

If your hard drive is nearly full after loading all your music and other media into iTunes, or if you just want to move all those music and media files to another hard drive on your system (emphasis added), here's a way to make the move while retaining all your playlists, ratings, and play history.