I really need help [Macbook Pro or Macbook Air]

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AppleRyan, Mar 8, 2014.

1. AppleRyan macrumors newbie

Im looking into purchasing my first Mac.

Im looking at either the Macbook Pro or the Macbook Air.

I will be using this as my ONLY computer. With that being said though, i dont edit any videos, i do some picture editing, web browsing, a lot of document writing ect.

I Know the Macbook Air 4G RAM will serve my needs, HOWEVER.. I don't want to feel like in 3-4 years that im way behind either.

I had a laptop with 4G RAM back in 08' since then ive had a "all in one" with 6G. I feel like going back to 4G is a "step back".

Then again i hear the Macbook Air 4G RAM handles itself pretty good.

Do i get the $1500 MacBook Pro 8GM RAM

or Macbook Air 13" for $1099

... i could get the Air and upgrade the RAM but then im thinking i may want the increase storage as well, and at that point were talking only $100 less than the Pro when you factor in the RAM.

2. leman macrumors 604

If you spend comparatively long time with your computer, then I would recommend the Pro (mainly because of the better screen). Having some extra RAM and storage is nice, but that really depends on your usage. Both the Air and the rMBP will 'become obsolete' at around the same time, so I wound't concern myself with that thought.

3. uhslax24 macrumors 6502

uhslax24

Worth it to get the pro IMHO. Like mentioned above, the screen is worth it if you will be using the computer for extended periods of time. Good luck!

4. TorontoSS macrumors 6502

I was contemplating the pro and air - I went for the pro. To be honest just for a little more you will get a better machine and better screen. I find it much lighter than my 2009 pro.

5. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Way behind what? Get the computer that best fits your needs today. As long as it does that, it doesn't really matter that it will be older technology in 1 - 2 years.

6. AppleRyan thread starter macrumors newbie

Photo Editing
    Document Writing
    Web Browsing, ect.
    iTunes for Movie playing

Thats roughly it..

Somewhere to keep my photos and movies, a place where I can write a bunch of documents and apply for jobs, and a spot to watch movies on.

7. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if you bought a Macbook Air today, you would be disappointed by September.
    MBA is the oldest macbook in the line up, it's due for an update. Whereas the rMBP just got its big upgrade not so long ago with PCIe and Haswell.

I can attest, I was in this situation not long ago and went with the 13" rMBP and I've never been more happy with any computer I've ever owned, which now that I think about it, there were a lot...

8. DmbShn41 macrumors 6502

Incorrect. The MBA got the Haswell and PCIe upgrade last summer as well. In fact, it got the upgrade before the rMBP. 13" MBA is pulling 12+ hours battery life and 600-700+mb/sec read speeds.

9. kathyricks macrumors 6502

Since you're not running heavy duty apps and don't seem really concerned about having a retina screen, the base model MBA would serve you fine. And even if you do someday decide to do video editing a MBA with 4GB RAM can handle iMovie and Adobe Premier Elements 12.

10. Freyqq macrumors 68040

I think you would regret not having 8gb of ram over time. I'd go for the rmbp 13" model with 8gb ram. The retina screen is worth it anyway.

11. Intelligent macrumors 6502a

Intelligent

The pro has 1280x900 something and air has 1440x900, So the pro has a worse screen, he never said retina macbook pro, the normal pro has not been updated since 2012, so i would recommend a 2013 macbook air with 8GB Ram.

12. leman macrumors 604

He said 'the $1500 MacBook Pro 8GM RAM' though, from which I concluded he means the retina model.

13. Ray Brady macrumors 6502

Regardless of what computer you buy today, in 3-4 years it will indeed be way behind. If the Macbook Air suits your needs today, that's what I would go for. It's been my wife's primary computer for 3 years now, and she loves hers.

14. Meister Suspended

Meister

For your needs the air is well enough.
    Safe the money - get the air.

15. AppleRyan thread starter macrumors newbie

I hear the Air handles 4G RAM pretty well...

Im definatly leaning toward it for my needs, but every once in a while i get people telling me I will regret not getting 8GB.

I think though in my situation a 4GB may suite me fine, I just kept beating myself up because i currently own a Dell Inspiron all in one with 6GB RAM. (Im pretty sure i dont even come close to using it though).

Photos and Documents are my MAIN thing. And WATCHING Movies. I more than likely will not be doing any movie editing. or very little.

I do love to edit photos, but from what im hearing the 4G RAM can handle that just fine.

Plus i will be lugging this to work everyday so that on my lunch break I can apply to jobs.

16. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

You're right, my bad.

17. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Neither the MBA or the rMBP involve a lot of lugging. I went with the rMBP for school because I worry less about it getting bent and dented.

Consider your storage needs. If you need more than 128gb, you might as well pay for the extra ram too. The $1500 rMBP is a great machine for the price! I use mine for school work and Netflix so nothing too heavy.

18. steveh552 macrumors regular

Correct me if I am wrong (or reading your post wrong) but the RAM and memory are not upgradable in the Air or Pro. What you buy is what you are stuck with.

Having said that, i was in the same situation as you a month ago, and I ended up with the rMBP with 8gig ram and 500gb SSD and have no complaints. I do not do any video editing but I have found myself playing with iMovie, not doing anything serious with it but it is nice to have the RAM when I need it.

19. AppleRyan thread starter macrumors newbie

No I understand that once I have it that's it. Although storage won't be the biggest issue as I could use an external HD. I wish the 8GB Air was in stores without having to order it.

Keep in mind price does factor into my choice. So it's basically do I spend the extra 3-4 hundred to have something I may or may not need

20. AppleRyan thread starter macrumors newbie

I haven't considered the bard model rMBP 4GB. I guess that may be an upgrade over the air?

21. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

For what it's worth, I bought an MBA last summer and sold it recently in favour of the MBP.

The MBA was perceptibly lighter and I prefer the wedge shape, but in the end the screen made the difference. It's not only that it's much nicer, it's that with SwitchResX I can instantly switch among 1280x800, 1440x900, 1680x1050 and 1920x1200, depending what I'm doing.

I'm referring of course to the Retina. I can't advise anyone to get the old MBP.

And since the latest model of the Retina is now in the Refurb store, once you're ordering you can get it at a nice discount.

22. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Any chance you can get the education discount? Or look into the refurbished section...

I'd go for 8/256 rMBP. It is what I just ordered a few days ago. But the Air is also quite nice, and if you don't need the RAM and storage, it is a nice way to save some cash.

23. AppleRyan thread starter macrumors newbie

Last I checked it's actually not

24. Meister, Mar 9, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2014

Meister Suspended

Meister

Your prices are too high.
    Rmbp goes for 1399,-
    MBA for 999,- ... 899,- if you get lucky on a sale.

The MBA is enough but for photo the retina screen is tastier. Try it out urself!

25. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

It comes and goes. I'm typing this on a late 2013 rMBP 13 that's from the refurb store.