I really need help

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jessiebean, Jul 28, 2011.

1. jessiebean macrumors newbie

Hi, I am totally iphone illiterate and need a bit of help. I bought my husband a 2g iphone from ebay, it came jailbroken and unlocked. The reason I bought it was for him to play games and use the apps. We just discovered that he cannot download most apps he wanted (angry birds ect.) without the phone running 4.0 software, but we cannot update it because of the unlocking/jailbreaking.
    We really dont care if it is jailbroken but we have a contract with virgin mobile and need to have it unlocked (no idea who it was locked to previously) we thought if it was locked to optus we would just undo the jailbreak/unlocking and just redo it after the update but have no idea if this will work. I have a few questions.

1. how do we undo the unlock/jailbreak without bricking the phone (no idea what the last owner used to unlock/unjailbreak it and no idea how this is even done)

2. If we did get it back to vanilla, how much does it cost to unlock it again (in case its not locked to optus) and is it possible to unlock the latest software?

3. What is the point of having a jailbroken/unlocked phone it you cant download apps because you cant update?

I hope that all made sense, as I said, I am iphone illiterate and diddnt even know what unlocking/jailbreaking meant until this afternoon.:eek:

Thanks!

J

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

The jailbreak and unlock isn't what keeps you from upgrading. It's just that the phone is too old to run iOS 4. The highest version of iOS you can run is 3.1.3. If you want iOS 4 you need the iPhone 3G or later.

3. jessiebean thread starter macrumors newbie

so you cant download apps for iphone 2g anymore? is there anywhere where you can download the older versions?

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Most current apps don't support the 2G anymore, and unfortunately Apple doesn't really provide a way to get older versions of apps. So unfortunately for most apps I think you're out of luck, you can probably look around the app store and find some that still support it, but there won't be many still around.

5. jessiebean thread starter macrumors newbie

ahhh bugger it, oh well. Thanks for your help!