I really need '' Mat lab ''

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mahmoud hola, Jan 20, 2009.

1. mahmoud hola macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm really need the Programing program "matlab" ,it's very important for my study and every time I need to use it I must go back and use windows
    I know there was a matlab in mac but I'm asking about free one
    also the the drawing program '' Solid works "

can any one help me

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Matlab isn't free, it is commercial software. No-one here will tell you how to steal software.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

there is a free matlab clone for osx

i cant remember off top of my head but ill try and post back

4. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

5. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

I got Solid Works a while ago. It runs ok with Parallels Desktop.

6. mahmoud hola thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't want steal any software and there was a free matlab for student but I can't get one just I don't know how and that what I'm asking for.

7. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Last time I trolled my schools bookstore MatLab was still going for a princely sum at the student price. if there is a free legit version i'd love to see it.

8. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Check your school. Mine doesn't sell Matlab, but lends install CDs out to students for free, with a license that expires after one year. The unfortunate part is I have to VPN into my university's network every time I use it.

For free alternatives, Octave looks to be the best of OS X.

9. mahmoud hola thread starter macrumors newbie

10. schizoidwoman macrumors regular

On top of a steep hill in West Yorkshire.
    The Uni where I work has a similar policy of single year licenses for students so, as a student, it's worth checking with your institution if they can provide you with what you need.

11. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

12. H$R macrumors 6502

H$R

That was funny. Reminds me of a few friends who also aren't able to Google. How hard can it be.

But seriously, I tried Octave myself and I didn't like it. It began with the trouble how to set your main projects folder. And it's command line only on the mac. The windows version does have a GUI which makes it in my eyes better.

Ask your college or who ever is responsible for IT/apps and such. My college gives me free access to the Mac and Windows version of Matlab which of course is great.

13. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

14. dutchrazor macrumors newbie

Matlab is about 80 euros over here , in the Netherlands, but my school does both a Mac and PC version for free.

Though I wonder if the PC license works on Mac, I think most volume licenses include the mac version.

15. mahmoud hola thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for all .....

I tried Octave but it couldn't help me Matlab has many toolbox's that are very useful for me I'll ask my collage about Matlab for my mac
    but I think it 'll be so hard to get a copy for mac
    mac here isn't familiar

is there any programs for Modeling and Simulation , block diagrams like simulink in matlab
    I didn't use any thing except matlab
    but is there any other programes especially for mechanical systems

16. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

Might I suggest learning how to do the things you want in Octave? It should be able to do what you want it to. It's just a matter of putting the time into learning how.

Octave Manual

17. mahmoud hola thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks
    it's a good advice

18. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

It's as good advice as you're willing to make of it. I personally think most open source programs are as good as paid. It's just a matter of different menus and such.

19. H$R macrumors 6502

H$R

Sure, I use many OpenSource Programmes for good reasons.

But with Octave it was really a time issue: I've been taught MatLab with the tools I needed to know. But I never liked the fact that I had to be always connected to their authentification server. Because what if you wanted to work in the train, or at a relatives house who doesn't have Internet/WLAN (yes that still happens a few times!). Then you just can't with MatLab.

That's why I tried Octave. But I just couldn't bring the time to learn the things I needed aside everything else I had/have to do. There are also other things to do and I had to set priorities.

So I switched back to MatLab.

20. rlm22b macrumors member

rlm22b

I have heard that the aforementioned Scilab program and the open source program Sage are two free alternatives to Matlab. I haven't tried either of them though. Sage is supposed to be an alternative to Maple and Mathematica as well.

I was able to get Matlab through my University. You can maybe ask your department if they have a spare license or something too. Inquire about special programs, I will be getting Maple in a few weeks for between $55-75 because of a Maplesoft adoption program.

Best of luck!