I really need your help..Buy or Wait from college perspective.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by klm79, Jun 28, 2007.

  1. klm79 macrumors newbie

    Jun 28, 2007
    Hey everyone!

    I have been keeping track of this wonderful device since January and am very interested in it, however based off of reviews I feel that waiting for a 3G enabled version may be the play. That could be the deal breaker for me. Because everything else that is missing can be easily fixed with a software upgrade or two. Thats why I came here to ask the community.

    So I am a current ATT subscriber and a student at Cornell University where almost the entire campus is wifi enabled, also my fraternity and summer home also have wifi so I would be surfing on that most of the time I would imagine. How long do you think until we see a 3G enabled Iphone and is it worth waiting X amt of time until that version comes out?

    I mean could I even buy the version right now, use it, then when the new one comes out Ebay the old one and get significant value? All help will be greatly appreciated!
  2. neven macrumors 6502a

    Oct 10, 2006
    Portland, OR
    I'm going for the last option myself. I don't expect they'll have a 3G model until AT&T's 3G network is better... so, mid-next-year, maybe.

    Get it now if you can afford it. That's really the only concern you should have if you like it otherwise.
  3. powerbook911 macrumors 68040


    Mar 15, 2005
    Hi.. Sure glad to help.

    3G is very cool, but you have Wifi available, and even edge at least you have the net and email available, just about wherever you are even if at dial-up speeds.

    I suspect a 3G could be announced around Macworld in January and that one could be available to buy in a year, but again that is purely guesswork, and guesswork is usually wrong.

    My thoughts: Apple stuff holds very good value, compuers, ipods, etc. This is a device that costs $500 or $600. I imagine in a year you could still get $300+ for an iPhone on ebay.

    I do that with iPods. I always buy the new one and sell my last one on ebay, and I only ever pay $100-$150 to upgrade.

    So I'm buying now and when a new one comes out, if I need those features, I will sell my current one (keep it in good condition) and buy a new one.
  4. neven macrumors 6502a

    Oct 10, 2006
    Portland, OR
    Sorry for the thread hijack - is there a thread about selling your iPhone on eBay, say, a year from now? How will that work? How would the buyer use it, exactly?
  5. tttexxan macrumors 6502a

    Jun 25, 2007
    Do you plan on using the iphone to surf all the time?? If so--- then wait for the 3G. If not edge will be just fine. Many if not all will use the internet frequently during the first 2 weeks then less and less over time.
  6. eddietr macrumors 6502a

    Oct 29, 2006
    I'm in a similar situation as the OP, I have WiFi coverage in a lot of the places where I will use this phone day to day. So I've decided to buy the 1st and 3rd gen iPhone.

    Waiting for the 2nd gen just means you miss out on whatever is in the 3rd gen, unless you're planning on buying every single one. Plus you have to use whatever other nonsensical interface you have for the next however many months. :)
  7. klm79 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jun 28, 2007
    Ya I was figuring either my current older nokia...im eligible for the upgrade..even tho that doesnt matter...or I can buy a Curve and wait it out until another Iphone comes.
  8. klm79 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jun 28, 2007
    So realistically the next Iphone wont come out until another year probably/?
  9. 103734 Guest

    Apr 10, 2007
    I dont think a new iPhone will be out for 2 years, look how long its been since they updated the iPod Video..

Share This Page