I really should know this, but it's been years since I've installed Leopard...

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by h4lp m3, Apr 17, 2014.

1. h4lp m3 macrumors 6502

I went to pop in my Leopard retail DVD into a Lampshade G4 and lone and behold, it won't take a dual layer disc. :eek: So I took that same DVD, put it in a PowerBook and booted into Target Disk Mode, only for lampshade to complain about how this version of Mac OS X cannot be installed and blah blah.

I'm like, wait... I've played this game before. Doesn't it have to be a certain version of Leopard (like maybe 10.5.2 or lower?) or was there a 4-disk set of CD's? I remember doing that in Tiger, but for the life of me, I can't remember how to install Leopard on a G4! :confused:

2. BaddestArvai macrumors regular

If it is under 867Mhz, it will not run leopard unless you trick it. Also, leopard only came on DVDs. Tiger had the 4 disk set. I actually used the 4 disk set to install tiger on my G4. That is all I know. I would like to install leopard on my 800Mhz G4 Lampshade but I have never done a trick leopard install.

3. gavinstubbs09, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2014

gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

ONCE have I had luck getting Leopard on a 800MHz doing the OpenFirmware trick to make the computer read as 867MHz for the install. Besides that, things like LeopardAssist haven't done a thing.

Another option you have is to put the iMac in TDM, then boot the Leopard install on the PowerBook and install Leopard to the TDM hard drive. This works well, and I did it a few weeks back getting Leopard onto my iMac with the G5 installing leopard to the iMac's hard drive.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

All G4 iMacs can read dual layer Leopard discs. However, reading them takes a drive that is working properly. The G4 iMac's optical drives are known to develope problems were they cannot read dual layer discs or any DVD. It is either caused by dust buildup or a weakening laser.

5. h4lp m3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, that basically solved my question, as it is 700Mhz. I will store that information on my internal storage media for future reference.

6. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Use leopard assist and put in the dvd on the powerbook and it should install it. I installed Leopard on my imac g4 700mhz through it's dvd drive without any problems.

7. tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

Are you sure you want to do that? I have the 17" iMac G4 at 800MHz with 1GB ram and under 10.4.11 it's kinda sluggish. I really think apple were right not to let it go any higher. Performance would be horrendous in my mind :/

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Well, it really depends on what you use it for. I have run Leopard on 400 MHz systems but had 2 GB of RAM and it ran fine provided the graphics card was up to snuff (supported QuartzExtreme).

9. tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

Hmmmm...do you know how the iMac G4 Nvidia GeForce 4 series perform in OSX 10.5?

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

They perform adequately. Not amazing due to lack of CoreImage, but fairly well for the screen size.

11. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Exactly what Intell said. They are good enough to drive the UI but don't expect any miracles or advanced graphical applications.

12. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

I think my iMac G4 is a superdrive model and I have not been able to get it to read dual layer disks. Tiger worked to install, but disks like movies do not work, so I'm assuming it's a dual layer issue.

13. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

When it was new it could read dual layer discs without a problem. But now at 10+ years old, it's aged laser has weakened so much it cannot properly focus on the different layers.

14. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

That makes sense.