I really want to like/keep the Magic Trackpad

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by hallux, Oct 9, 2012.

1. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

I primarily use my MBP in my living room, on the couch. I used to use a Microsoft Bluetrack wireless mouse with my Windows laptop and it worked GREAT on the arm of my sofa. I bought a MTP and I'd LOVE to it on the arm of my sofa but it doesn't "click". Is there a way around this? I'd rather keep the swiping gestures so using the mouse from my Windows laptop is out. I've tried the MM but it doesn't track well on the fabric (I use it with my work Mac, at work, now). If I have to, I'll return it and just keep using the trackpad on the MBP itself as I have been for the last 3 months.

2. needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

put a hardcover book under the trackpad

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You don't need it to click. I use mine in conjunction with the magic wand and use tap to click because the wand, from what I could tell, prevents you from using click to ... well click. ;) Like you, I use it on a couch for my HTPC. The magic track pad is by far the best choice for me after going through a couple of mice configurations. Of course, there are alternatives using keyboards with trackpads built in, but I never bothered.

4. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Not sure I understand. I use the magic trackpad when I use an external keyboard. What advantage does it give you over the built-in trackpad?

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I was referring to the options of using a keyboard designed with the HTPC in mind. Such as the DiNovo. My point was that I said the trackpad, magic wand, and keyboard was my best bet after trying other configurations. Before someone chimed in telling me about the HTPC keyboards with built in trackpads I mentioned that short of using those, what I had suited me well.

6. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

You can set the trackpad up to "tap to click" in the preferences versus actually requiring it to mechanically "click". I have mine set up like this on my desk - I prefer just tapping it to pressing it hard enough to click.

7. hallux thread starter macrumors 68020

hallux

Some functions require a click and drag, can't do that unless you can actually click (unless I'm missing something and need to re-train).

Advantages over just using the built-in? My arm can be straight out instead of going halfway across my body. I also have a tendency to hook my thumb under the front edge of the laptop when using the built-in trackpad, the MTP could help to prevent an RSI from that. In my minimal use of it last night it should work fine, except for that pesky click.

I'll have to play around with it some more, maybe I'm missing something. I picked it up yesterday so I have 13 more days to "master" it and decide if it will really work for me.

It did cause the BT on my MBP to "hang", or something did. Restarting the MTP didn't cause it to disconnect and reconnect, the Mac thought it was still connected, I had to restart the Mac to reset the BT connections and restore functionality.

8. hallux thread starter macrumors 68020

hallux

I was missing something, 3-finger drag, highlights/moves...

9. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

You use a 3-finger drag instead of click&drag. You need invest a little time into looking at your Trackpad preferences and play around with the different settings before you write the whole thing off.

10. hallux thread starter macrumors 68020

hallux

Read my post above yours...

11. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

That's weird! I started typing that immediately after you posted, but must have walked away from my Mac before posting! I came back later and finished what I was doing, not realizing that you posted again. Sorry for the redundancy!