I really want to take my case off...but I'm scared

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Anthony T, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Anthony T macrumors 6502a

I have the Incase Slider which is too tight on my phone so they're sending me a replacement.

But I'm getting sick of cases on my iPhone. I want to enjoy it the way it was made, but I have the black and I'm afraid of it getting all scratched up.

My first iPhone, I dropped in my driveway. I had it in my lap when I was driving and forgot it was there when I got outta my car. It got all knicked up. :(

It had other problems so they gave me a replacement, and I just don't want this one to get ruined like the last one did.

2. amrk47 macrumors regular

take it off
    that's what I do

its not a new car

just a phone

anyway my phone has been naked for a month now, and theres not a mark on it

3. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

4. Emma35 macrumors newbie

My first phone never had a case. I had it for a year and it looked perfect. I don't like the cases.

5. jameschoun macrumors newbie

Well... I do prefer not to use a case, but sooner or later you will drop it as you already have. I now have some marks/scratches on my phone & now I have the griffin wave case just to cover those marks. Did the same thing you did... twice, had phone in my lap and got out of my car.... ugh

6. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

Body Guard film and there you go. Some protection but not a douchey case.

7. zachplaysguitar macrumors 6502

zachplaysguitar

Just get a good screen protector. I have an IS and the back is uncovered. Yeah there are a few very minor scratches (especially on the apple logo) but the screen is still perfect and they back just isnt that important in my opinion. Plus you cant see those scratches unless you look for them.

For me, the screen is most important and as long as thats covered its fine. Plus you wont even notice a screen protector.

8. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

the invisible shield is a good investment, if you want something cheaper, get a bestskinsever

9. galenmd macrumors regular

Agreed. bestskinsever You can't even tell it's there!

I've used one on every phone I owned (minus the Tilt for which they didn't make one). The least expensive of the skins, and a sold product.

10. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

I had the invisishield and hated it. It makes the phone feel too 'tacky' and sticky. Plus the screen protector leaves lines that are visable and diminishes the Beauty of the screen. Plus it dosent protect against drops like a case would.

11. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

12. staccato83 macrumors 6502a

staccato83

I say you toss the case and just keep it naked. I have had my phone naked since July and it is still perfect. Just don't put anything in your pocket with your phone (i.e. keys) and it will be fine.

Don't get one of those invisible shields. I had that on my 2G and a bunch of lint and dirt just gets built up in the corners.

13. c43amg macrumors member

I have yet to find a case that makes me feel like I'm using the iphone naked.
    So I purchased a plastic case from micro center and I made my own modification to the case. I love this thing and to ME it feels and looks really good. Pictures don't do the mod justice. And it comes out whenever I want and very easy at that. It's actually better to use than the iphone having no case as it is very hard at times to have a good hold of it. I have a nice grip and yet the iphone feels like a barely have a case on it. Pics below.

Attached Files:

14. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

I think a little bit of lint and dirt ( which can be cleaned off) is worth not having to worry about scrathes ( which do not come off)

look at how perfect a well applied bodyguardz can look

15. staccato83 macrumors 6502a

staccato83

Yeah, that does look pretty good. I probably just did a poor job when I applied it on my first gen.

Off topic... are you a physician? I must say that studying for the MCAT equals hell in my book :D

16. calvy macrumors 65816

See, I disagree. I can see in the first picture how you can totally tell there's a skin on the device by the way it isn't really reflecting light properly. I can see all of the lines where the skin is cut, and I can tell that these lines would collect lint from my pockets just like my invisible shield did on my first gen iphone. As tempted as I was to put an invisible shield on my phone again after I scratched my 3g with a bunch of keys in my pocket, I've decided not to waste my money and simply not be a dumb sh*t and put the phone in my pocket with keys.

By the way, I can't stand using a case. I have purchased an agent 18 hard case though, for use when I'm running or bike riding with my iphone. When I'm just out and about, I go naked.

17. 226896 Guest

I like my iPhone how I like my woman; naked. Cases obviously protect the phone a lot better than nothing, but half the enjoyment of the iPhone for me is it's sexiness. Don't need some $40 molded piece of rubber ruining that experience for me ;].

18. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

You have your new car in a case? Silicon or leather? ;)

I have a white iPhone and it's naked, mostly because I like the iPhone dock and I'd hate having to wring the case off every time I need to sync or charge the phone.

There are no visible scratches on the back and I don't think that's a cause for concern, really, unless you're totally reckless and keep it in a pocket full of nails, razor blades and glass shards. The most vulnerable part is in fact the chrome bezel around the front. It's the same crap they put on the back of most of their iPods, and anyone who owns one of those will confirm that those things will get scratched up bad if you so much as sneeze.

19. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

OMG you can see the lines. as in you can tell its applied :rolleyes:

give me a break, there is no "truly invisible" shield or case

Here are pictures of my install ( Full bodyguardz)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Chef-Jer macrumors member

I carried my iphone 3g naked for about 2 weeks when I first got it as there were no cases available that I liked launch weekend. I dropped it once while naked and sustained no damage:eek: I rushed out a bought a case the next day. Over the last ~ 8 weeks I have had 3 cases: contour iSee, contour fusion and a switch easy rebel. I can not stand the amount of bulk that they add to the phone, whenever I take the phone out to clean it I can't get over how sexy it is naked.

I just order full body films and am ditching the cases for good as soon as it arrives:D

Thanks Dr. Carbrera your photos showing how nice clear films can look helped finalize my decision.

21. sibruk macrumors 6502a

I keep my iPhone 3G naked since I will only be using it for another 10 months – when the iPhone Video™ will come out, and I will convince myself that I simply NEED it. :rolleyes:

Don't do Invisible Shield. Trust me, I have gone through two of them, they never apply completely right without some sort of overlap/bubble in the corners/lack of total conformation, they start to peel off after several months of regular use, they make the iPhone feel tacky and your finger doesn't glide over the screen the same way, and it makes the iPhone look shrink-wrapped.

If you want to apply any shield, I suggest this one, which is screen-side only and really does get as close to invisible as possible.

22. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

I actually like cases quite a bit. It adds needed bulk to the phone to sit right in my hands (which are big)

I have a Capsule Neo, Rebel and Gunmetal Incase Slider. It's like a woman with a purse, I switch it up weekly.

:)

The naked Iphone just feels to small and fragile in my hands.

23. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I used a case up until yesterday when I realized the case itself was scratching my phone. If the case is gonna scratch it anyway why use it? Since I've had it out of the case I've enjoyed the phone a lot more. Inevitably, I will drop it and acquire damage--so what? By then I'll have my eye on the next generation iphone/android handset. :)