I really WANT to update my firmware

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Good User Name, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Good User Name macrumors regular

After having my iPhone jailbroken, unlocked, updated, SHSH saved, and Installoused, I'm tired of all of that.

It took me a while to actually get my phone unjailbroken, but I finally got on to the most recent iOS update. One Problem: My firmware wasn't updated. I want to update it to whatever's new.

I must've tried to preserve the firmware sometime in the past and now it seems like nothing will help to get it updated. Can any of you help me out?

2. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

I think you mean Baseband and as soon as you update to an official firmware without using Pwnage Tool it should be updated, regardless this thread belongs in the iPhone Hacks sub-forum not here.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yeah you need lots more research.
    You dont even know the difference between firmware and baseband.

4. Good User Name thread starter macrumors regular

I chose this forum because I needed help in updating, but if you think the hacks form would be better I ask a moderator to move it.

I use the terms "firmware" and "baseband" interchangeably. I don't see much reason not to. The OS updates I refer to as iOS version, the baseband firmware I refer to as "firmware" just as the iOS devices themselves do (Settings>General>About>Modem Firmware).

Right now the modem firmware I'm working with is 02.10.04, but the latest is something else. Trying to update the phone via iTunes results in errors. I've gotten the most up to date iOS software but the baseband/firmware was preserved.

It's been a few weeks since I tried, so I'll try again and record what errors I'm getting.

5. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

what firmware are you currently on? 4.3.3?

6. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Please don't talk about Installous here, pirating is against forum policy.

You probably shouldn't. :p In this forum (and most everywhere else), "Version" is referred to as Firmware and "Modem Firmware" is referred to as baseband. That's just the way it is.
    P.S. Why are you trying to preserve a baseband that cannot be unlocked and probably won't be eligible for an unlock in the foreseeable future?

Try putting the phone in DFU mode and restoring to a stock 4.3.3 IPSW.

7. Good User Name thread starter macrumors regular

Differing terminology… I'm up to 4.3.3 (Software version, or iOS version), and modem firmware/baseband 02.10.04.

Sure thing, I'm done with that anyway.

I'm not trying to preserve anything anymore, I'm trying to update. When I tried to restore from a stock 4.3.3 from Apple's download site I got an error. Doing it from a custom ipsw allowed me to at least update from 4.2.1 to 4.3.3, but the baseband remained the same.

8. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

have you tried to put in in DFU mode then just plug in open itunes and hit restore?

9. Good User Name thread starter macrumors regular

10. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

11. Good User Name, Jul 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2011

Good User Name thread starter macrumors regular

I highlight the phone in TinyUmbrella, press exit recovery, and the white apple logo appears on the black screen. Eventually it disappears and then I hear an error noise and iTunes tells me it's detected a phone in recovery mode and must restore.

Cont. At that point I'd kick it out of recovery again in TinyUmbrella, and the process would just repeat. This time I'm going to press restore again in iTunes to see what will happen.

Conclusion, error 1013 again.

12. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

are you putting it in dfu before hitting restore?

13. Good User Name thread starter macrumors regular

No, it was not in DFU mode then. Should I put it in that mode and then try to restore from iTunes?

I took the TinyUmbrella advice and tried to fix the 10xx recovery loop by entering DFU mode and pressing "fix recovery".

Now the phone has a black screen with the text "greenpois0n" at the top. The bottom text currently says "Greenpois0n initialized".

14. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

ya try putting it in dfu than hit restore

15. Good User Name thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, hitting restore in iTunes while "Greenpois0n initialized" was on the screen caused iTunes to give me "error 2001". I suppose that's progress, going from 1013 to 2001 :)

Should I try to kick it again with TinyUmbrella?

16. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

won't hurt to try that

17. Good User Name thread starter macrumors regular

Cool, I pressed exit recovery.

The greenpois0n text disappeared. Replaced by the white/silvery apple logo on the black background. That was just replaced by the "plug into iTunes" image. The iTunes pop-up is reporting error 2001.

I'm going to get it in DFU mode here and try to press restore in iTunes.

18. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

yes also make sure you have the latest version of itunes, restart you computer

19. Good User Name thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, back to 1013 errors. I've unplugged the phone and now I'm going to reboot.

20. Good User Name thread starter macrumors regular

Alright, back from reboot and DFU mode then restore. Now iTunes is telling me iPhone software update server could not be contacted or is temporarily unavailable.

Frustrated, I looked to this for answers:
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2403673

That worked. Now I'm restoring from backup. If all goes well, I'll write it here when it's done.

21. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

good news

22. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Awesome! Glad you were successful. :)

From now on, you should refer to "Version" as firmware, and "Modem Firmware" as baseband. Because no one else calls baseband "firmware". :D

23. Good User Name thread starter macrumors regular

Huzzah! Success! :)

"Baseband" updated to 04.10.01. Reception is better already.

And, yes, I'll adopt the standard lingo. That'll be hopefully confuse potential help less.

Thanks to all you who helped, especially iisforiphone.

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Hey I like to call the computer a frog and an iPhone is banana or use them interchangeably you know.
    I don't see much reason not to.
    Lets all speak a different language and maybe we will understand eachother better:D

25. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

And we could all change our names to Bruce to avoid confusion.
    Bruce