I really want to use the hotspot but.....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NQK, Mar 18, 2011.

1. NQK macrumors member

NQK

I still have the ATT unlimited data from way back and I want to use the hotspot for my wifi iPad. Of course I can't do that unless I switch to the 2GB / $25 per month plan and add the tethering plan. I looked back at the last 12 months of data usage And I've never gone over 500mb. But, I'm nervous about letting go of the unlimited because once it's gone, it's gone. Have any of y'all here switched over and then ended up using way more data than you thought you would, since it was available at times when it wasn't before?

2. matt550 macrumors 6502

I would really like to us it also. I have mixed feelings about this whole tethering deal. I feel as though since im paying for unlimited data I should be able to us it as I wish. I also see the point of, yes I can us the data as I wish, on that ONE device, and not tether another device off of it. But I think its bull ***** for ATT to charge for tethering AND to us hotspot. I see that as paying for it twice. If they charged $25 a month for 3-4gb for tether and hotspot id sign up right ******** now.

3. Los macrumors regular

Currently there are reports that AT&T is trying to get those people that are "tethering" with a jailbroken iPhone. However, it looks like it's getting those with unlimited data that are using some ridiculous amounts of data (over 5 GBs a month for example).

So I recommended that once a jailbreak comes out for 4.3, jailbreak and install a tethering app like TetherMe. This will allow you to use the unlimited data to your iPad or any other Wi-Fi capable device, however, DO watch those GBs a month. Don't get too excessive or else AT&T will give you that letter or text and who knows what they'll do to you.

Also, I'm getting around 2-3 GBs a month on unlimited and this is sometimes tethering to the PC. One month I hit over 7 GBs and that's because I went out of town and my only internet source was my iPhone, so I obviously didn't pay attention to my usage too much.

4. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

If you have never used over 500MB of data you are probably pretty safe to go ahead and switch. Even if your usage habits change your are a long way from 2 GB. The fact is people are going to start using more data as time goes on and the plans are going to have to change again in the future, hopefully by the time you need more data you have some new options available.

I would love to switch, unfortunately I use close to 2GB a month and could easily use more.

5. imutter macrumors 6502

imutter

I gave the unlimited plan to my son who went over always way over on his $25 plan and added the tether to mine . I really wish they had something like a family plan we pay $30 unlimted $25 2GB + $20 2GB tether and my SH never uses much $15 so we have a total $90 Data only

6. Eric374 macrumors 6502

Eric374

Verizon has had the tethering option for almost a year (maybe longer) on the Droid phones and they charge extra as well.

I feel the same as others here though, it's my data why should I be limited on how I use it? Which is how I came up with my now-favourite analogy, "charging for tethering is like putting gas in your car in the city and having to pay for it again to drive on the highway".

7. ZenoVT macrumors regular

I would never give up my unlimited plan, even if I have yet to ever go over 2gb a month. Because I know when mobile speeds get faster as technology advances, I will be using more and more bandwidth. The only drawback from using mobile data now, is the slowness... It irritates me.