I really wish Apple made lightning magsafe

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gaymerraver, Oct 5, 2016.

1. gaymerraver macrumors member

gaymerraver

I really dont want to scratch the bottom of my iPhone in the dark it can be really hard to put in without gently going across the bottom part

Anyone else feel like Apple should make lightning magsafe?

2. Subwaymac macrumors regular

Subwaymac

I think it's fine, anodized stuff is pretty rugged.

3. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

4. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I would like a MagSafe type connector. I know it has save my MacBook Pro a few times.

5. gaymerraver thread starter macrumors member

gaymerraver

Nice, Yeah its probably because I'm getting used to the plus model again,

6. newellj macrumors 603

MagSafe would be too big to be practical, and you'd probably wind up with more scratches, not less.

7. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

It's not hard at all... Just put the lightning connector in between the very ends of your fingertips so that when feeling for the port, your fingers are brushing it initially and then ease the connector into the port by opening your fingertips a bit and sliding it in.

8. lostnuke macrumors newbie

9. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

are you sure you're talking about power cables?

10. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

11. Jayson A macrumors 68000

I don't find it too terribly hard to put it in, in the dark, but she likes it when I gently go across the bottom.

12. sdwaltz macrumors 6502a

I like where your head's at, but I feel as if the iPhone is too light in order for MagSafe to be effective.

Apple would need a very weak magnet in order to allow for the charging cord to pull out of the phone when the cord is accidentally bumped. MagSafe as it is now would probably still stay attached to the phone if the cord were accidentally bumped. If they DID make a weak enough magnet, I'd imagine it would fall out on accident too easily.

Like I said though, I like the idea in theory but I just don't see it working in practice. Here's to hoping I get proved wrong!

13. hellopupy macrumors regular

hellopupy

there is a kickstarter campaign of a lightning connected magnet charger for the iPhone.

14. ag29 macrumors 6502

I completely agree. Sometimes I'm really sleepy and I don't want to spend 10 seconds trying to figure out where the lightning connector hole is. I like to just stick it right in there really hard because it saves some time but when I wake up in the morning I have to worry about whether I ended up scratching my shiny new phone.

15. xotigu macrumors member

hmm never had scratches at the bottom of my phone.
    my macbook has though.

16. macintoshmac macrumors 68000

macintoshmac

I was thinking that same thing when I reached the phrase "slide it in".

17. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Lots of obviously shilled reviews, and then 25% of all reviews are 1*. Yikes.

IMG_0653.PNG

18. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

I really don't think the bottom of the phone scratches so easily, not unless you're forcefully dragging the connector on it, which is probably more likely to damage the connector. Not to belittle the OP's concerns, but I think that this is a case of just use the phone and don't worry so much.

19. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

Just get yourself a dock of the, ones with sides, style and it'll slide perfectly into position if you're really that concerned.

20. Superrjamz54 macrumors 6502

Superrjamz54

They will have wireless charging next year and guess what unlike Android you will not need to put the phone on a pad to charge it. So you can actually use the phone while it's being charged.

21. tekjunkie macrumors 6502

I have never scratched the bottom of my phone doing this and I plug it up like this almost every night. It's a lot harder trying to plug of those micro USB cords.

22. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

Oh how I really, really want that to be true. So far they have only obtained FCC approval for the contact based version of their technology, so little different from existing Qi standards. But they still seem very optimistic that the full blown up to 15 foot true wireless charging will launch by the end of 2017, with the 2-3 foot version by mid-2017. So I'm not giving up hope yet, especially if Apple are involved and throwing money at it as well now.

23. geta macrumors 6502a

Forget about all the cables, its time to move on to wireless charging.

24. rainafterthesun macrumors 6502

rainafterthesun

I guess I'm the only one that uses the flashlight (put the phone super close to the floor to reflect up light) to connect the lightning cable to the lightning port in the dark...

Ps, did you know 3D Touch allows you to choose three settings of brightness? :)

25. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

What?! Awesome! Thanks for the great tip!