I really wish Apple would fix mail attachments

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by ilandmac, Dec 5, 2016.

1. ilandmac macrumors member

ilandmac

Since Sierra I get some mails with attachments, but mostly not.

I know on these mails from the "paperclip" icon that it was sent but just not showing in mail.

Logging in to the server via webmail I can recover them but sweet j***s this is a pain

Does anyone have a workaround ?

ilandmac

2. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

working fine here (as it's always done). what exactly happens when you click on the paperclip?

3. ilandmac thread starter macrumors member

ilandmac

4. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

try creating a test user account on your mac, and try mail there. same problem? worth a system reinstall. not happening? something's up with your account. or, what about your other macs? no problem there??

& 'remote island': any way to call apple?

5. ilandmac thread starter macrumors member

ilandmac

Solved it. Sort of.

Before Sierra, I had previously changed my email account from POP to Imap with no worries. Somehow Sierra did not like the way I did that I guess. Before doing anything I used Mail Archiver X (free for 10 days) from http://www.mothsoftware.com/ to backup my emails (along with a few clones). I then discovered that all missing attachments were in the Archive X mail file while perusing through the backed up emails. So went back to a POP account using "CardsFaninExile"'s method in https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4110800?tstart=0 and all is back to normal.

I must have made a setup error when I went from POP to IMAP. I'll leave this as is for a while before trying the transition again.

ilandmac

6. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

excellent!

7. drxcm macrumors regular

I definitely have an attachment problem with IMAP and Sierra Mail despite a new install and rebuilding mailboxes etc.
    I can't open certain attachments, even new emails, with Sierra and have to login to my webmail to download it.
    Same attachments open fine on my iPhone.

Its a huge pain in the ass

8. ilandmac thread starter macrumors member

ilandmac

What you are describing is exactly what I went through before going back to POP. Logging in to web-mail
    to get attachments and then trying to integrate these back in mail on the nMacPro would drive me mad.

Even got the "Woosh" out & the "ping" in back ;-)

Ilandmac