I received my first Mac! Reviewing rMBP.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mindy60, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Mindy60, Sep 8, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2014

Mindy60 macrumors regular

Mindy60

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
    I am so excited! On Saturday I opened the box and turned it on for the first time. I am just in awe of the retina display and the sound! The touchpad is smooth. The keys on the keyboard feel perfect. :cool: And no garbage like the trial versions of sw! I don't need antiviral SW or Malwarebytes or anything. It's simply clean and pure! What can I say, I feel like a virgin lol. Were you a PC user at some point? How did you feel after the switch? I am elated.

BOOKS:
    I bought two kindle books: "Switching to the Mac: The Missing Manual", and "OS X Maverics: The Missing Manual". Perhaps I should have just stuck with the first one first and then look at other books. I do want to thoroughly learn what I can do with terminal so I will need another. What are your favorite OS X books?

iDevices
    I have had a number of iPods, iPhones, iPads... and now i have a computer that will go with all of that! I almost said "PC". Oops, sorry Apple. It is so awesome to be able to do the same things on my Mac that I do on my iDevices. This is exciting stuff! Getting a Mac just makes sense if you have 8 days worth of music like I do. I am too invested in my iDevices. How many days of music you have?

MY DELL
    On my Dell laptop the speakers are on the bottom and music sounds hollow, plastic, and cheap! I've always hated the sound. And the display, if you are too far to the left, right, up, or down, it looks like a film negative. I bought the first unit in May of 2013 and had problems right out of the box. Four months later they sent me a brand new unit.

A month out with the new unit, the power adapter was no longer being recognized by the system (was an issue on the 1st unit, too). After fiddling with it for a couple of hours it finally began working. I called Dell and they said that since it was now working, that there wasn't anything they needed to do. So when the unit goes out of warranty (5/2015) and the power adapter is no longer recognized, would I have enough time to get my data off before it needed a new system board which would cost a boat load of money? So not worth it!

I bought my first Dell in 1999 and it was a Lattitude laptop. I loved it! Then I bought a Poweredge server in 2000. Then in 2007 I bought a Dimension desktop with Vista. It lasted a year before I needed to rebuild the hard drive. But after that it was fine. I still have it. So I have a long and positive history with Dell. Until last year! Dell no more.

WINDOWS 8.1
    I bought my Dell with a touch screen so that I could experience this OS as it should be. But I hate the tiles! I tried it but I hate it. My unit boots directly to the desktop and it stays there. I can live without the Start menu. All I need is the Windows+R to run a program.

With the touchpad, I disabled the edge swipes from all 4 sides but the the charms menu on the right side still comes up when I got too close! That is so annoying!

The keyboard on the current unit and the old one repeats characters as I type. I went into Control Panel to change the repeat settings and I still get 3 or more repeated characters! And now, on my current unit, I have to press two of the keys hard in order to get the character.

So that's it! Sorry this got so long. I am just so excited. Thanks for listening! :)

Mindy

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I remember when I bought my Mac. It was exciting and still is. You are iHappy as you should be, Mindy. :) Congrats.