I received my new MacBook Pro today!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rilely, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Rilely macrumors member

Well, after an extremely anticipated wait, I finally received my MacBook Pro today! I thought I would do my part to give a small review of the design and display.

Background:
    I would like to preface this review by saying that I am not a graphics arts professional and I have no experience in computer digital imagery. I do like to do some minor photography and web design, but it is not on a professional scale.

Also, the MacBook Pro I received was the high-end MacBook Pro with the discrete 9600M GT graphics card. The only change I made to the order was a upgraded 320GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive. Also, I only use the computer in high performance mode, leveraging the 9600M GT Graphics card.

Design:
    I have to admit that I am blown away by the new design. When I first saw the images online, I have to admit I was not very impressed. That being said, the laptop is MUCH nicer in person. The black and aluminum contrast go together very well and I can safely say this does not look nor feel like a HP PC of any kind. The keyboard is different, but I am getting use to it as we speak. So far I don't notice any big difference in my typing speed, but I might agree that the old keypad was more comfortable. Sometimes I feel like I'm "reaching" for some of the keys. With all keyboards though, you will get use to it, so it is a minor gripe.

Display:
    I know, the glossy only screen has been very controversial. My last MacBook Pro was a matte option and I always swore I would never get a glossy. I have to be completely honest here, the glossy screen is not bad at all. In fact, I have come to really love it in just a day! Granted I am not sitting out on a grassy knoll with my laptop, but the contrast on the colors are really remarkable. The reflections haven't annoyed me yet. Are they noticable? Yes, but distracting? No. In fact, I would say that the benefits of the seemingly deeper more striking colors out weighs the reflections at this point. I have been in some fairly well lit rooms, but the LCD brightness wins out almost every time. For those of you who are extremely worried about this, so far my fears have been allayed. Don't knock it until you have one at home. It is actually a VERY nice screen!

Note: I feel so fortunate as to have recieved a screen with no dead or stuck pixels! Yay!

So far these are my perceptions. I am EXTREMELY happy with my MacBook Pro. I think it looks sleek, its a decent upgrade for most people, and the screen actually has some benefits that I don't think are discussed enough. For those of you who are ready for an upgrade but unsure, I highly recommend to take the plunge. Should you return a latest and greatest MPB? Probably not. Just wait for the next few rounds of upgrades!

-Rilely

2. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

Glad you like it! As MacBooks have always had glossy screens I have loved them from the start. All this stuff about matte stuff I PERSONALLY think is sort-of retarded. The glossy screen also shows dust less.

3. Balty macrumors 6502

Balty

Thanks, it's great to know that it isn't as bad as I've heard, around Macrumors.

I'm getting my MBP on the weekend....
    It's going to be a very long week..... :D

4. CoolMacDude macrumors regular

I just got mine too. Hey if you don't mind, will you look at it from the front with you eyes almost level to the keyboard and let me know if your top row of keys is crooked?

Mine is and another person I talked to has the same problem. I don't want to go through the problem of having to do a mail exchange if they are all that way.

Thanks

Congrats

5. Rilely thread starter macrumors member

You know, now that I took a look, they do appear a little odd. It doesn't bother me though. I would never look at the keys from that angle. They look great from any other normal angle though!