I recently changed my hard drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adfeldr1, Jul 15, 2011.

1. adfeldr1, Jul 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2011

adfeldr1 macrumors newbie

I had my hard drive upgraded from a 250gb to a 750gb 7200 rpm hard drive on my 13" mac book pro mid 2010. I used "disk Utility" to verify the new hard drive, I got an error message saying that I had an "Invalid volume file count" and an "Invalid volume directory count", it also said "The volume Macintosh HD was found corrupt and needs to be repaired". I ran "Repair Disk Permissions" about 3 times yet the problem persist. Is this a normality after replacing a hard drive from a smaller one to a much larger one? If not how do I remedy this situation ? :confused:

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's not normal, did you do the replacement yourself or someone else.

Sounds like the HD may have "issues"

3. davids8477 macrumors 6502

You need to boot from an external disk (install DVD) and run disk uitilities/repair disk on the hard drive. If it still has errors then I'd get a copy of DISKWARRIOR - boot from the DISKWARRIOR install disk and repair the hard drive with that utility.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why should the OP go through that if its a new drive and if this new drive is having this problem out of the gate, what is the prospect of its longevity.

If the OP installed it himself, he should return the drive, if he used a service he needs to contact them

5. adfeldr1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all for your responses, I did contact Micro Center who did the installation. They informed me that the problem was in the OS and that I need to do a fresh install then migrate my data from Time Machine. They said that the problem was on my old hard drive. I had them to clone my old hard drive onto my new HD. Is this something that I should do? (speaking of the migration) I want to contact Apple but am a little nervous about the hard drive that I had installed. Would they want me to have the original HD put back into the Mac? :confused:

6. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Because the problem is in the partition table, not the drive itself. Just do a "repair drive" and you'll be fine.

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

It's not the repair permissions you need to do, but repair disk, on the right.

8. adfeldr1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Problem was resolved

I did the repair disk and it removed the issues I was having. The problem was that I didn't know how to use the install disk to reboot my mac. I did a search of Disk Utility and found out how to do it and it was gravy after that. Thanks to all of you for your help and advise. You are the best and I am grateful for this forum.:)