I recently got a macbook, but need to run windows on it. OEM? retail? help...

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ogonzal, Jan 30, 2010.

1. ogonzal macrumors newbie

I recently got a macbook and im still learning how to use it. I need to run some programs on widows and i was told that i could run windows on my mac.

I have done some shopping but all the windows operating systems but i am not sure which ones i can or cannot install on my mac. I have a budget of only $100 for this. Could you guys tell me where i can find any windows operating system for less than $100 that would work on my macbook?

i am new to the whole OEM Windows thing so im not sure if i should buy a OEM or a retail one which are much more expensive.

Thanks so much for the help.

2. iwillrefuse macrumors newbie

Are you a student? The cheapest way of getting your hands on the ONLY Windows OS version I can recommend (7) can be had for well less than $100 here: http://www.microsoft.com/student/en/us/software/windows-7.aspx

If not, NewEgg.com offers the OEM home version of 7 for $105, in either 32 or 64 bit incarnations. For Boot Camp, I would recommend the 32-bit iteration.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...52&cm_re=windows_7_oem-_-32-116-752-_-Product

The install process is very easy, and there are loads of tutorials online if you search for them.

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Boot Campe is your friend, and apparently it seems, your savior. Just follow the instructions (it can be found in the Utilities folder under Applications) and you'll be fine. Be sure to have your grey restore discs (in the black folder thing in the packaging) to install drivers.

OEM basically is a stripped down version of Windows. No tech support, no fancy packaging, etc. It's still a functional copy of Windows. Retail is what it sounds like. Retail. Tech support and fancy packaging. OEM is cheaper obviously and you can depend on these forums for help. You can sometimes get cheaper copies of Windows through work, especially if you're a teacher or a student at a university.

4. Buzz Bumble Guest

It's also illegal to install the OEM version on anything other than the computer / device it shipped with. Anyone selling it or installing it is breaking copyright law and is simply a pirate scum.

5. Paul B macrumors 6502

There's no problem with ordering the OEM version on Newegg and installing that on whatever computer you want.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Technically, no problem. It works.

The license however specifies that you must pre-install it using the OPK and resell the system to a non-related third party.

http://oem.microsoft.com/script/contentpage.aspx?PageID=563841

So you're in the same boat as a Hackintosh user. Works, but not licensed properly.

B

7. ogonzal thread starter macrumors newbie

hey guys! thank you so much for your responses, i thought i was not going to get any.... lol

Yes. I am a student. I went to the link you gave me and they have windows 7 for $64 but is only an upgrade so i guess it does not work for me since i have a mac.

I went to the other link you gave me (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-752-_-Product) and it says "Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM" If i buy this one i would have no problem installing it with boot camp?. I only need windows to run Adobe design programs (illustrator, photoshop, etc) and nothing else.

What if i buy Windows xp or vista OEM...?

Sorry guys for my lack of knowledge when it comes to computers... and thank you so much for helping.

8. fulcrum.1995 macrumors member

there are mac versions of the adobe suite

adobe has an exchange program for users with needs for their software on other osx