I recieved my Kinetic Case!!! And it works!!

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Big Ben, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Big Ben macrumors newbie

I got my Kinetic Case tonight.
    Quick summery… I am stoked!!!

If you want the long winded version read on… Sorry about the horrible pics.
    My first impression of this piece is that it as nicely made as anything I have ever seen. The tiny little bevels that are machined into the part really show the attention to detail. I own a few really nice bicycles and I am used to being disappointed by the quality of parts because I compare everything to my super expensive bicycles. But this case would hold its own next to ANY of my over priced bike parts. The BEST part is that this thing feels awesome to hold!

I was most curious about how the case affects the signal because I owned an Element Case and ended selling it on ebay because I could not get it to work, even after wrapping my phone in electrical tape. And, I could not get a response from Element about returning the case.

I try to take people for their word, but I have to say that with my experience with the Element and all the talk about the other brands I have been a bit nervous about the Kinetic Case. But, after Tim gave me his explanation and ended up saying that if I did not like it that he would be happy to take it back I jumped in.

Here is what came with my case…
    Case: Two parts that look like a J
    Screen Protectors: Front and back. I have not put them on yet because I have the invisa shields on now. The screen protectors also came with a nice little cloth to clean everything with.
    Back plates: A clear plastic piece and a really nice carbon fiber piece. This is actually a real hard plate of carbon fiber. I am not even sure if the sticker that came with my element case was real carbon fiber. After I ordered my case with the carbon back plate I noticed something on the Q&A section of their website that says something about some of their testers had some signal loss when using the carbon fiber back plate I was a little worried about my ordering the CF plate. I emailed them about it and they said they only had a few testers report a little loss when away from a strong signal. Well, I am “away from a strong signal”.

I mounted everything up minus their screen protectors and it went together really nice. I tried both back plates and I like how the clear shows off the apple logo, but I am a sucker for Carbon Fiber so that is probably what I will run if I don’t see any signal issues with it. All of the signal testing I did tonight was with the CF plate.
    The first thing I did was look at t
    he signal. I live in a kinda crappy AT&T area and get 1-3 bars in my house. I never really loose signal, but I can never really brag about it either. I can sit my phone in the same spot for ten minutes and watch the bars go from 1 to 3 and back to 1 a few times. So, with my new case it pretty much does the same thing. I will do a signal test with the numbers, but I need to google that to remember how to do it. I went into the closet in the back of my house with the case off and I get a pretty solid 1 bar and the GPS shows that I am on my patio which is about ten feet away. When I put the case on I am still getting 1 bar and the GPS shows that I am in my bathroom which is about 10-15 feet the other direction.

The other good news is that my car charger fits easily, and my wife’s cheap radio shack accessory jack easily fits into the head phone hole so I can listen to my iPhone in my truck.

I stayed up too late doing this. So, I will report back when I have some more time with this case.

The bad news… I am a big Dumb A$$. I dropped the phone from my high bar onto the tile floor. My two year old was in my arms and tried to crab it. When trying to catch it I actually slapped it into the ground harder which did not help. The good news is that my phone survived, the bad news is that I got two dings in the case. You can see the scratches in the case in one of the pics. Man this pisses me off. It wouldn’t be a big deal if it happen a month from now, but the first hour I had the thing???

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Spoolin414 macrumors newbie

Nice Case, Slight Imperfections are to be expected with these aluminum and custom cases. Nothing to get down on, I considered the Kinetic but its to round and bubbly for my liking. Congrats on the new purchase and great to see another case which does not affect cellular signal reliability.

3. yankintx macrumors 6502

It is not too bad looking. It may work for you, but aluminum is aluminum, and it will affect signal and gps just like the Vapor did.
    Each new case manufacturer comes out and says that their phone is designed to not hurt signal, and we all know that is pure bunk!
    I too had a Vapor, and agree that it is awesome looking, but I too sold it on EBay because it sometimes caused me to lose service and receive texts. It worked most of the time, but with 4 iPhones in my home, I need to be sure I can reach my family members when I called them.

Now we are all sporting the 4 dollar bumpers from sw box. Exactly like apple bumpers, but a whole lot less money.

I am waiting for Element Case to come out with a case made out of a resin or plastic, that looks like the Vapor. When that happens, I'll buy it.

4. bmxracer182 macrumors newbie

Thanks for the review. I got an email that mine shipped and I can't wait to get it. Glad to hear that it saved your phone. I'll post something up after I get mine.

I like the look of it more than the square element style cases. That's one thing that I don't like about the new iPhone is the squared sides.

Thanks again Ben, I hope to have mine by the weekend and hopefully I don't drop mine so quickly, :-D

5. Big Ben thread starter macrumors newbie

6. r2fa3l macrumors regular

no offense but that case makes it look a bit like the 3GS :D

7. enemi macrumors regular

enemi

Agreed :p

8. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

It really does look like a 3GS :eek:

9. KineticCase macrumors newbie

No offense taken.
    Obviously I am not happy that you don’t like the looks. But I also realize that one case will not make everyone happy. One of our top priorities was to make the case comfortable to hold and use. All of our testers preferred the more rounded case, so that is what we decided to make. Maybe someday we will make a case with harder lines to make everyone happy.

10. scelzifan macrumors 6502

11. damant macrumors 6502

damant

If you can make a case with zero signal problem with similar lines of the Vapor case then I'm in.... along with a huge number of Vapor case lovers out there :) $$$

12. JASApplications macrumors 65816

Thanks for the post. Looks awesome in the red. :)

13. Big Ben thread starter macrumors newbie

14. mortfe macrumors regular

Color

Before I order: Is the red a deep red or just red. From the pics it looks like a deep red. High gloss or semi gloss finish? Thanks.

15. TurdFerguson macrumors 6502

No need to let this thread die. You wrote a good review and included some good quailty pics. Good job.

16. KineticCase macrumors newbie

The red is a pretty rich, bright red. It's not a very deep red but more vibrant. They have a glossy finish from the teflon coating.

17. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

Mine just arrived. will post some pics and first impressions soon! I got it in the red.

18. weisjt macrumors 6502a

weisjt

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

Did you order or request it? I like metal cases but font know if I would buy this one

19. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

Requested, but he said they are very busy and out of stock now, they only had a red one left.

20. mortfe macrumors regular

Bad signal

I have tried several aluminum cases. All caused my signal bars to drop to barely '1'. Tried electrical tape, tried coating frame with rubber cement, tried gasket maker from a auto supply store. Nothing works. So why should this? What makes this different from any other aluminum case? I ordered a case from Atomic, hybrid. Coming Mon. . Not as pretty as the Kinetic. Will let you all know how it works.

21. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

Here are my first impressions so far. As for a quick summary, I really like it. Here are some of the pros and cons of the case, pictures coming soon!

Pros:
    Feels very comfortable in the hand
    Bright and shiny
    Comes with a back plate (carbon fibre or acrylic) and includes two screen protectors, a cloth, a hex wrench, and six hex wrench screws, a lot of goodies
    Simple and not overkill

Cons
    A little bit on the bulkier side as far as bumpers go.
    Degrades signal about 1-2 bars. :(