Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbluhp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
Apple's hardware test gave me this error for the memory

2MEM/4/4: DIMM1/J1601

Is it my memory slot or the ram itself and wich one is the J1601?

Emac 1ghz

tbluhp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
Hard to say just from that, but I'm guessing the RAM in DIMM1 is bad, not the slot itself.

Thanks I needed some second opions cause I reseated the good ram that was in DIMM0 to DIMM1 and returned the bad ram for replacement hope this helps if not then it must be my motherboard?

epochblue

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
Thanks I needed some second opions cause I reseated the good ram that was in DIMM0 to DIMM1 and returned the bad ram for replacement hope this helps if not then it must be my motherboard?

If the problem still exists with the new RAM, it's *possible* the DIMM is bad, but I feel like DIMM problems like that are pretty rare. If the problem persists, take it to an Apple Store and see if they can't better diagnose the problem for you.

tbluhp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
If the problem still exists with the new RAM, it's *possible* the DIMM is bad, but I feel like DIMM problems like that are pretty rare. If the problem persists, take it to an Apple Store and see if they can't better diagnose the problem for you.

Ouch what do you mean the DIMM is bad and how?
My emac is out of warrnety as I had it for 4years and it would cost alot of money to repair.

epochblue

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
Ouch what do you mean the DIMM is bad and how?
My emac is out of warrnety as I had it for 4years and it would cost alot of money to repair.

I wouldn't worry too much about it...I've never had a bad DIMM slot nor have I heard many (any?) stories of DIMM slots being bad. I can almost guarantee you it was the RAM. I really didn't mean to sound an unnecessary alarm :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.