I regret not getting the Plus size

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xxray, Oct 8, 2017.

1. xxray, Oct 8, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2017

xxray macrumors 6502a

I went from the 6+ to the 7 last year. I was sick of the large size of the 6+, as I was mainly trying to use my phone one handed, and using the plus sized iPhones one-handed are pretty cumbersome unless you have huge hands.

Well, I've been regretting my decision for a couple months now. The 7 is great for one-handed use and for more easily fitting in pockets, but I really miss having a larger screen, and I'm getting really tired of having to charge my phone so much. The grass is always greener on the other side, eh?

I've been thinking about upgrading to the 8+, but I can't justify $800 plus tax when my 7 still runs great. I could probably sell my 7 and get at most ~$500 for it, but I'd still be spending over $300 and I can't get myself to do it.

Anyone else in my position or have been in a similar one?

2. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

I went with the Plus line two years in a row. It’s not that I couldn’t go back if I had to, but I prefer the Plus.

I’d go 8 Plus or iPhone X before the smaller sizes if I had a choice.

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Completely understand. The Plus has stellar battery life and the larger 1080 P dislay is nice for watching videos or reading.

If you are able to upgrade to the Plus at one point, I would suggest it. And I thought I would ever want s 5.5 iPhone and now I couldn't go to anything smaller.

4. iLOLWUT macrumors member

iLOLWUT

It's hard to come back from a plus, the battery alone makes it worth it, plus the 16x9 screen ratio is great for movies/tv shows

5. cats2books macrumors newbie

cats2books

I went from an iPhone SE to the iPhone 7 Plus. I love the larger screen. I found typing on the SE to be difficult and the smaller screen was hard for me to see. Part of the problem is probably due to not having the vision I did when I was younger. I don’t think I’d ever go back to a smaller phone.

6. digitalexplr macrumors 6502a

digitalexplr

Went from 6s to 8+. The better camera, looonger battery life and increased screen size more than out weighs the adjustment factor.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I went up to the plus screen size when it first came out with the iPhone 6.
    Since then I wouldn't go down to a smaller screen.

8. artfossil macrumors 65816

artfossil

Me too. So happy with this (now) “little” phone. It hasn’t taken long to adjust and the usability of the 8+ is just amazing. I’m reaping all the benefits of a fully refined device with stupendous software. Apple doesn’t get enough credit for this refinement (feel the same way about my new iMac) but as a user I’m in heaven.

9. Barrett85 macrumors member

I moved up to a plus last year and don’t think I could ever go back. The camera alone makes it worth it to me. Not to mention amazing Battery life! When I have a slimmer case on, it doesn’t seem that big at all.

10. PBz macrumors 68020

PBz

I’ve tried going back to a smaller phone many, many times. Always end up back with the Plus.

11. saltd macrumors 6502a

saltd

I test drive both for a week. The 8 Plus is a no-brainer, unless you absolutely can’t stand the larger size. I was surprised how poorly the battery on the 8 performed compared to the Plus and my SE. it’s probably because of the relative newness of iOS 11, and will get better with updates.

The Plus is such a huge upgrade over the 8 for a mere 100 clams. Too bad, I just couldn’t get comfortable with the size....and I found the 8 to be disappointing.

12. Ipadfever macrumors 6502a

Ipadfever

I came from a 6 to an 8+ and can’t figure out how I did so many years on such a small phone lol. The 8+ is a huge upgrade!

13. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

I came from a 6+ down to a 6s, than to a 7, and now to an 8+. My next phone will be the larger iPhone X next year. I finally agree that the larger phone is better for my eyes in the content that I view. I too will never go back to a smaller phone. I don’t want the iPhone X because it’s too small for me, not to mention it’s the first year.

14. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

This is why you don't jump to the plus model at all at any point. For me, I just stick with the small form factor non-plus models so I never miss any extended battery life because I've never experienced it. Ignorance can be bliss. :p

15. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

Once you go big, it's difficult to step down.

I've been a Plus user since September 2014.

The smaller phones seem like a Tic Tac in comparison.

16. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Nope, I went to a Note 3 from an iPhone 5 and immediately loved the bigger screen. After this I got a 6+. Kept that for 1.8 years and thought about a 6s but I read too much, do too much, and love the battery on the + series so I got a 6s+. Kept that for 1.7 years. Now, I have an 8+. No, never thought about an 8. I love my 8+. I read books and books, all my media consumption, youtube videos, journaling, note taking (external bluetooth keyboard), etc...

Yeah, I won't ever go back.

17. Bethanie21 macrumors regular

Bethanie21

The battery on my 8 is doing fantastic - can’t see how it would be worse than an iPhone SE. 8+, yeaa, obviously, but not an SE. :p Why did you find the 8 disappointing? Because it has a smaller screen?

18. fs454 macrumors 68000

Its fascinating how much preferences vary here. If the plus didn't happen and Apple had only offered the 326ppi 4.7" single-camera, so-so battery model at any point in the last 3 years I would have jumped ship to Android, as much as I absolutely despise it nowadays.

It just feels so behind - the screen is very noticeably less sharp than almost anything else out there, the battery life is below average, and the camera doesn't excite with what's going on elsewhere. I've owned an iPhone every single generation since 2007 but cannot bring myself to justify a 4.7.

I'm hoping the X design will take over next year as the standard size as Apple moves their latest innovations down the line, and maybe we'll see a bigger X design for the large phone fans. This time around they've proven that they can fit better battery life, dual cameras, and a higher PPI bigger display in what's close to the older 4.7 design, it's just gonna take them a cycle or two to get the costs down and figure out a few more OLED suppliers.

19. PBz macrumors 68020

PBz

Ironically, my first taste of a huge phone was testing the Note 1 pre-release. I loved the size and screen. I just have never been able to take Android for more than a few months.

20. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Everyone has their preference on what is the perfect size phone. For me the plus has the right size screen but the phone itself is too big to my taste. It is uncomfortable to carry around in my pockets. I had a 7+ for a couple months and still could not get used to the large phone size.

For the regular 7/8, it has the perfect phone size but the screen is too small. I currently have a iPhone 7, and grew to hate the small screen more and more.

The idea of fitting a larger screen on the smaller iPhone 7/8 body is exactly what I want. I recently picked up a Samsung S8 to experience how great it works. I just couldn’t stand Android and Samsung.

I really wished Apple would hurry up and ship me an iPhone X already...

21. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

I don’t agree. If you switch between an iPad and iPhone then the interchange is easy as the text size is pretty consistent using the device. I think you notice more if you zoom the text but not just a regular swap.

22. saltd macrumors 6502a

saltd

The SE pretty much destroys the 7 and 8 in terms of battery life, and is close to the Plus models in that regard. It just doesn’t have many pixels to push, and I’m used to being able to forget about charging my phone during the day using the SE.

The 8 and the similar models before it just don’t cut it for me. I use my phone as a GPS device outdoors, so the battery gets hit pretty hard. The 8 was disappointing to me because of the battery-the screen size was fine.

The 8 Plus has a better, higher resolution screen than the 8, but I just can’t enjoy having a surfboard in my pocket every day.

23. staggerlee41 macrumors 6502a

staggerlee41

I agree with your comments all but the "stupendous software" reference. Right now iOS seems clunky to me. I'm sure part of that is due to the subtle changes and my learning curve, but I would much preferred to have this 8+ come with iOS 10.3.3 so I could upgrade when I was comfortable. I never do it immediately having been burned in a previous iOS update. Once it stabilizes, then I'll upgrade the rest of my devices and family member's devices.

The 8+ is an incredible release, I'm thrilled with my decision to go + this year. Like you, I really appreciate the refinements of this version and hardware of the 8+. Congrats on your purchase!

24. PBz macrumors 68020

PBz

FWIW.. and if it helps... 11.0 was bad.. 11.0.1 was bad.. 11.0.2 is better and close.. public beta 11.1 v1 and 11.1 v2 have been great. ..closer to what 11.0 SHOULD have been.

25. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

The only options for me personally are the SE, Plus, or X because the battery on the "standard" isnt up to par.