Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JJBro1

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 17, 2009
ok i guess i leapt before i looked. So I was trying to restore my boot camp partition using boot camp assistant and it told me The startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition. The startup disk must be formatted as a single Mac OS Extended (Jounraled) volume or already partitioned by Boot Camp Assistant for installing Windows. So I removed my second osx partition and it still didn't work so then i removed my boot camp partition and now when i try to set up my boot camp partition using the assistant it only gives me 70gb max. So how do i get all those gigs back? Its a 500 gb harddrive and currently macintosh hd is the only partition set up and it has a capacity of 232 gb.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Did you re-expand the OSX partition to accumulate the total space? Disk utility just removed the partition, didn't expand the other partition to fill up all the space.

PreetinderBajwa

macrumors regular
May 30, 2009
HK
How do you do that ?

Did you re-expand the OSX partition to accumulate the total space? Disk utility just removed the partition, didn't expand the other partition to fill up all the space.

Hi !

How do you do that ? What would be the ideal way to uninstall/delete windows bootcamp and regaining space ?

It would be really helpful if you cold guide with steps to follow/link !

Thanks

Preetinder

5DollaFootlong

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2009
Go to bootcamp assistant. It should give you an option to restore your osx partition or something like that. The rest is straight-forward.

Rugbyplayer

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2008
Removing Boot Camp partition

Hi:

I went to Boot Camp Assistant to try to deinstall the partition that I had set up using Boot Camp, and after clicking "Continue" on initial Introduction Screen I got a pop-up that says
"Boot Camp Assistant Cannot be used
You must update your system software before using this setup assistant."

Boot Camp is 3.0.1 and OS is 10.6.2
Can anyone help me here?

thespaniard400

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2010
Same Issue

Hate to bring this issue back to surface but I did the same exact thing. I didn't know that I could remove boot camp using the assistant so, having used disk utility before (often), I deleted the boot camp partition successfully.

My issue now is that I can't resize my main partition to recover the space. Every time I try I get a Partition failed error message:
"Filesystem verify or repair failed."

Oddly It did allow me to create another Mac partition but I need all the space on my hard drive to be in a single partition since neither has sufficient space now... Any ideas?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
My issue now is that I can't resize my main partition to recover the space. Every time I try I get a Partition failed error message:
"Filesystem verify or repair failed."

Any ideas?

Have you tried repairing the filesystem while booted to your OS X install DVD?

Does it allow you to drag the lower right corner at least? In one other case it seems that is somehow disabled. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1058958/

B

thespaniard400

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2010
Boot from cd maybe?

I was able to drag the corner and resize the partition in the UI. It is when I hit the apply button in disk Utility that it fails during the remapping process.

I'm not accessing disk Utility from the installation dvd however i'm doing it inside of Leopard. So maybe I should try booting from the cd, and see how it goes..

thespaniard400

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2010
Got it!

Got it to work to summarize what I did:

1. Went to disk Utility and deleted the bootCamp partition (probably shouldn't have)

2. Ran first Aid > Repair Disk Permissions

3. Resized the Partition and hit apply. Success!

Thanks

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Glad you solved it.

Usually you get better results repairing the filesystem when it is not mounted (i.e. when booted to the install DVD or other media).

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.