Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agentcooper2001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2011
A few weeks ago I spilled a little bit of water on my keyboard (15" macbook pro mid 2010 a1286)

The keyboard quit working, but after turning it upside down and drying out for a day, everything else seemed to work fine. Even the backlight still came on, the keys just didn't work.

I ordered a replacement keyboard from an eBay store and replaced it tonight. I have to say that was the most tedious thing I've ever done! 65 screws in the keyboard alone!

So after putting it back together, the keyboard works and almost everything is fine. My two issues are:

1. The backlight isn't coming on.

2. When I close the lid, the computer is still awake; it doesn't go to sleep like it did before.

Do you guys have any idea what I may have done wrong to cause this to happen? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

iphonehype

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2012
A few weeks ago I spilled a little bit of water on my keyboard (15" macbook pro mid 2010 a1286)

The keyboard quit working, but after turning it upside down and drying out for a day, everything else seemed to work fine. Even the backlight still came on, the keys just didn't work.

I ordered a replacement keyboard from an eBay store and replaced it tonight. I have to say that was the most tedious thing I've ever done! 65 screws in the keyboard alone!

So after putting it back together, the keyboard works and almost everything is fine. My two issues are:

1. The backlight isn't coming on.

2. When I close the lid, the computer is still awake; it doesn't go to sleep like it did before.

Do you guys have any idea what I may have done wrong to cause this to happen? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Never done a hardware repair on a Mac apart from changing RAM modules.

I would advise go to the Apple Store explain what happened. They will find the issue and price you up for the parts they will replace.

From there you know the parts you need, Apple do not charge for diagnostics regardless of warranty status.

Good Luck :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.