I restored. Question

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Geoff., May 8, 2010.

1. Geoff. macrumors 6502

Geoff.

I restored and set up as new phone. Syned contacts back and some music.

What is this 280mb in 'other' could it possibly be from cydia leftovers?

Or is it just the OS and some setiings

Btw i am staying on stock firmware

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

nope

Anything from application that are non-iTunes apps saved games. such as stored files that use OpenSSH for example.

Anything that takes up space and can not be recognized by iTunes, shows up as 'other'.

3. Geoff. thread starter macrumors 6502

Geoff.

so this is more than likey cydia stuff. hmm how can i remove all this 'other' stuff

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

NO. This is all the stuff like calendar, notes, camera roll pics, settings, contacts, etc. Your "other" amount is normal. If you're running out of space, get a 32GB iPhone or delete some music or photos. Also, look into compressing the music to lower bitrate using iTunes 9.1.

5. Geoff. thread starter macrumors 6502

Geoff.

Mate i have 5 contacts syned, 49 songs which is in 'audio' not 'other' and no photos. and your telling me that 284 mb is normal to have in other ?

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Yep, that's what I'm telling you. The list I gave was just a few of what is in other. My other is 531 MB.

7. Geoff. thread starter macrumors 6502

Geoff.

are you jailbroken? i never noticed this 'other' being so big until i was jailbroken and now ive restored and it hasn't gone

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I am jailbroken.

9. Geoff. thread starter macrumors 6502

Geoff.

Yeah so your other is cydia and cydia apps because itunes cant reconise it and it comes up as 'other'

10. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Download iPhone browser and go look on the flash disk yourself. I doubt you will find anything from cydia but it would be interresting to see.

11. Geoff. thread starter macrumors 6502

Geoff.

I used iPhone explorer to view the files but its no use i cant get to ''/'' to see everything on the phone because it requires the phone to be jailbroken to do so

12. labman macrumors 604

labman

Ok

If this bugs you use spirit rejailbreak. Look at your others files via explorer. Or shsh. You can always restore it again any way. Calander, contact, saved games or app info etc can all be other.

13. thespazz macrumors 6502a

14. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Mine was around there before I jailbroke.

You really shouldn't worry about it. Your other is no big deal.

15. Geoff. thread starter macrumors 6502

Geoff.

I really wont know what to delete if i rejailbreak it and then use iphone explorer.

There is a method where

''involves restoring the phone as a new phone, then jailbreaking it. Once the user has shell access, umount is used to force the two mount points into read-only mode. Now the partitions can be overwritten with /dev/zero, which should wipe them clean. The phone should then be forced into recovery mode to perform another full system restore, and the process is complete. Several iterations of the process with /dev/random should prevent even NAND recovery''

i think somehow cydia has created a small patition on the phones hd which was wiped but the parition is left as other, but thats just my taking on it